• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 at 200yd

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
Put the new athlon 4-14 on my trusty 10/22 for an opportunity to put the glass through its paces and spend some time at 200yd with the 22.

Zeroed up at 25 yds with ease. Though it became aparent the clicks weren't true 1/10 Mil.

I ran a few click drills, 4 mils left and right. Then up and down. Very repeatable but clicks seems to average out to about .11 instead of true 1/10. Known and repeatable, no biggie. Clicks are mushy, and quiet, you have to pay attention.

Back to 200 yards. Shooter says crank it 8.2 mils

Could only dial 7 Mil, so I backed off until I could hold 2.5 and get into the tree to make a .4 wind hold easier. (Where is the best deal on a decent 20-25 MOA picatinny 10/22 base?)

Hits with cci standard were about half a Mil hight, but 8/10 were on target in a roughly 7" group. 2 went just over the top of my steel. I was quite pleased with performance like this so quickly and easily.

5ed240170121e697a7cef1ef7fe477b4.jpg

Expected better with Wolf MT. My go to accurate ammo in this gun. I've taken it to 300yd succesfuly a few years back. Not today. Over 12" of vertical stringing at 200yd. Can ammo go bad?
Moved up to 170 yd on clean steel and was amazed how poor the "group" was. The cci sv faired much better. Still significant vertical stringing.

1db0d2cae09414aa0314a8a76fd87b9f.jpg

45e52483924850bcbaef30cf68d3237d.jpg

Miled the cci sv drops and trued it in shooter. Put 4 of 6 in 4x4 head box at 170 yd. That felt good.

Then, with trued data, dialed and held to 200 yards and dropped 5 shots of cci sv dead on the elevation. They strung horizontally about 5". That slight breeze was smoking me.

2c91b1d5a5609231c1087f440a4d05e2.jpg

I've not spent much time at this kind of range with my 22, what kind of accuracy is a 22 lr capable of at the 200 yard line? Tips? Thoughts?

Glad to have the old hide back!

22rf at 200 and 300 yds is a lot of fun but you need a scope with a lot of elevation.

what kind of accuracy is a 22 lr capable of at the 200 yard line?

Depends entirely on wind and ammunition quality.
I've produced occasional sub-moa when using match ammo.
Wind can be adjusted for either by flags or environmental reads.
But if your ammo has too much variation in mv, results on target will disappoint.
1 fps difference in mv produces 1/10th inch of vertical spread with match quality sub-sonic 22lr.

Here's a decent target
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/lh3.googleusercontent.com\/JtaDMCPjePeYA2SH3TS5UxBrMj1CpqEuWHdnc-j4TaSu7sapTt589FKSOCf7qdq8P-SIXoeLwNTgtw=w408-h440"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
That's some great shooting! I need to spend a lot more time at that range and get the wind dialed in more. Probably need some more consistent ammo to. Time to dust off the chrony. 

170 with RWS Target

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rPLRxymm9I0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP, .1 mil is not that easy to see with a 25Y zero. Try a 50Y zero instead, it's easier to determine a zero more acutely, this might explain why you were off some at distance. Plus if the dope isn't perfect, which would be hard to tell considering the size of the groups due to ammo inconsistency, would be an explanation and likely a combination of both compounding error. Wind also affects vertical.

My mostly stock Ruger 10-22 race rifle will put in 3-4" groups at 200Y with my old lot of SK. Though out of a box of 50 there will be a few shots that drop low.

I prefer more than 20 moa on my bases. I guy I know here on the Hide uses a 40 moa base.

Reactions: texasplinker
It's a blast shooting the .22 at 200. My 10/22 will hold about moa but I'm typically not shooting for groups at that distance, just shooting for fun.

I would be very pleased with consistent 2 MOA at 200 yd!

Unless the weather is a total bust here this weekend, I plan to spend some more time at this. Try more ammo. Probably come in a bit closer and limit some variables.

On the click test I ran I was dialing 4 mils at a time. The reticle was indicating poi moving about 4.4 Mil.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My buddy and I were shooting 300 yard steel plates the other day and it sure is a humbling experience. The wind was making a fish tail up the valley and kicked our butts. It is also really frustrating when you break a shot that you know should be good, only to watch it hit 2 feet low. I get a few like this every box of cci sv. Verified over the magnetospeed the other day that occasionally one is way slower.

I picked that disc off an old plough a few years ago so I could have some thing huge and thin to ring at 300. It's so rewarding! When the breeze is still, it's to easy to hit. With wind, man, it's hard!

I need to chrony some ammo. And shim my base. And get out! This weekend failed me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I use one of the first fixed 10x mil/mil bushnells on my 10/22. I just shimmed up the back of the base with pieces of aluminum foil until I was bottomed out at my fifty yard zero. I can dial it out to 500+ now. With the CCI high velocity ammo the 2 inch swingers I shoot at are easy money at 200 yards. It's a lot of fun shooting wind with a 22. I learn more that way than shooting my 308s.

2 inch swingers I shoot at are easy money at 200 yards

You have better skills and more consistent ammunition than I've been shipped.
Even with supposedly "match" ammo, I find half my shots fall outside that 2 inch diameter circle.

2 inch swingers I shoot at are easy money at 200 yards

You have better skills and more consistent ammunition than I've been shipped.
Even with supposedly "match" ammo, I find half my shots fall outside that 2 inch diameter circle.

It's not too hard really. Then again I don't feel the need to shoot a million different rifles like a lot of guys on here. I'd rather be good with the few I do own than alright with a bunch of different ones.

Edit. Mine shoots match ammo like shit. Especially the eley and wolf stuff.

My nephews and me don't have any problem hitting the the steel chickens in the head at 200 meters using CCI SV if it isn't windy. 10/22, 20 moa rail, feddersen or green mtn barrel and midway special BSA 4-14 FFP, I can dial to 300 meters no problem.

Expected better with Wolf MT. My go to accurate ammo in this gun. I've taken it to 300yd succesfuly a few years back. Not today. Over 12" of vertical stringing at 200yd. Can ammo go bad?
Moved up to 170 yd on clean steel and was amazed how poor the "group" was. The cci sv faired much better. Still significant vertical stringing.
I've not spent much time at this kind of range with my 22, what kind of accuracy is a 22 lr capable of at the 200 yard line? Tips? Thoughts?

Unless stored at a constant temp & humidity, I do think that 22lr ammo does deteriorate over time. Especially if stored out in a garage or unconditioned space like a storage container where it is subjected to cycles of heat and cold. This is subjective but I have never had much luck with any ammo that was more than a year or two old for true precision 22 shooting. Keep in mind that I never noticed this and never thought any 22 could shoot to sub 1/2 MOA for decades until I began sourcing ammo that was shipped fresh from Lapua and Eley less than 6 months old and started shooting with it. Wow what a revelation. Much better. Even with this great ammo, I was keeping it out in the garage and after a full summer/winter cycle, was finding that proven lots that were great the year before were only mediocre after long term storage. Great ammo like Federal Ultra Match (the Olympic uber ammo with the dimpled primer) was unable to group smaller than 1/2 inch at 50y after 10 years of storage in my safe which is in the house. My first lot of Mida+ came from Texas where it had been subjected to 2 seasons of summer heat and shot so poorly that I was convinced that ammo was unworthy of consideration until I bought three bricks of a fresh lot only 3 months old and found that it was better than anything I ever shot. So yes, I think 22lr ammo gets stale over time. It will still go bang but the variance begins to creep up the longer it is stored and the more times it gets hot and then cools. Maybe some of the chemical energy in the powder or primer is gassing off over time? I dunno.

What I would suggest is that if you are really seeking to wring the best out of any 22, find a supplier whose stock turns over fast and whose ammo lots are no more than one year old. I will bet you will measure a difference in groups sizes or precision without changing anything else.

Irish

When 200 yards starts getting easy,take it out to 300 yds.Thats even more fun.The 10/22 is my favorite 22lr.