• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 barrel droop adjustment.

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
How much of an adjustment is required to be made for the barrel droop on the 10/22 rugers for 100, 200, and 300 yds. I'm in the process of building one up. Nothing fancy just a hogue stock with a tac sol bull barrel 16.5 inch with a 3x9 bushnell.
I have the moa adjustments from here for those distances but would like to know the specifics of the barrel droop only.

Re: 10/22 barrel droop adjustment.

read this thread
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1142942#Post1142942

I am not a fan of that set up for anything past 200 as my range report shows.

I had 50 moa of adjustment on the super sniper which would have gotten me to 300 just fine

I didnt use a canted base or rings or adjust for barrel droop

With the bushnell though you might have an elevation issue, so either a canted base rings or v block to fix barrel droop would work but i dont have any experience with the v block

Fix your barrel droop with the below V-Block. if you do not want to thread the barrel this IS the best option.

Rimfire Technologies Custom Modified V-Block

Machined from a solid piece construction and designed to be used in conjuction with the Micro-Pivot Bedding Kit, or by itself, this high quality V-Block is a must have. Better than the factory piece, it has a set screw that allows you to adjust for barrel droop.

Product # rtvb $23.95

get it here:

HawkTech Arms

.22LR barrels, especially ones with heavy profiles, do not need to be floated. IMHO. My system uses an unthreaded heavy barrel and laminated stock combination set that was available at one time from Kimber. The barrel is a snug press fit into the barrel channel. The rifle shoots one hole groups at 50yd.

I strongly suspect the barrel originated with Lothar-Walther, but I can't get anyone confirm or deny this. Some of you may not be aware of this, but quite a few of the aftermarket 10/22 and 77/22 replacement barrels originate as being contracted out to L-W for either partial or complete fabrication according to a particular customer spec. L-W also markets its own barrels for these applications, and I understand these are of their highest quality. I would look nowhere else for a peak quality barrel, and for bargain barrels, I prefer Butler Creek, which give good quality vs cost.

Personally, I believe that the 10/22 may actually work best with the barrel bedded and the action floating, or at least gently secured. Such an approach might even produce better accuracy with the factory sporter barrel.

I think the issue has to do with barrel expansion.

Centerfire barrels actually swell somewhat during the firing and I think this is what generates the barrel rebound when the barrel is not floated. But I also believe that .22LR barrels don't swell to anywhere near the same degree, and are either less subject, or not subject at all to the some kind of rebound; hence they can work better when bedded directly to the barrel channel.

And maybe the moon really is made of green cheese; but I do know that my own 10/22 works really well with a tightly fitted barrel channel.

Greg

My barrel was not floated or threaded, but it took a lot of pounding with a rubber mallet to get it to sit in the receiver. I did not want to sand it down but wanted a real tight fit which I accomplished. I am hoping that by doing this I was able to eliminate the barrel droop. I know that if I need to remove it, I will definately need a vice and a wrench to remove it .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much of an adjustment is required to be made for the barrel droop on the 10/22 rugers for 100, 200, and 300 yds. I'm in the process of building one up. Nothing fancy just a hogue stock with a tac sol bull barrel 16.5 inch with a 3x9 bushnell.
I have the moa adjustments from here for those distances but would like to know the specifics of the barrel droop only. </div></div>

The only adjustment your 10/22 needs to compensate for barrel droop is a trip to the gunsmith. Have them blueprint your receiver by truing the face perpendicular to the bore, threading the receiver, threading and setting back your barrel using a better .22LR reamer. Make sure that the gunsmith machines and times the barrel perfectly to correct depth in the receiver or you will have issues with FTF and FTE. Then depending on your scope needs use a EGW or TacSol 20 or 15 MOA rail respectively with the best rings (I like Glenn Seekins rings) you can afford that place your scope objective just above the barrel with enough room to pop a BC scope cover on. This will forever solve the barrel droop defect of the 10/22 design and your POI won't keep changing due to the weird kludgey V-block "fixes" people are selling.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22LR barrels, especially ones with heavy profiles, do not need to be floated. My system uses an unthreaded heavy barrel and laminated stock combination set that was available at one time from Kimber. The barrel is a snug press fit into the barrel channel. The rifle shoots one hole groups at 50yd.

Personally, I believe that the 10/22 may actually work best with the barrel bedded and the action floating, or at least gently secured. Such an approach might even produce better accuracy with the factory sporter barrel.

I think the issue has to do with barrel expansion.

Centerfire barrels actually swell somewhat during the firing and I think this is what generates the barrel rebound when the barrel is not floated. But I also believe that .22LR barrels don't swell to anywhere near the same degree, and are either less subject, or not subject at all to the some kind of rebound; hence they can work better when bedded directly to the barrel channel.

And maybe the moon really is made of green cheese; but I do know that my own 10/22 works really well with a tightly fitted barrel channel.

Greg </div></div>

Greg, I haven't proved it to myself yet, but I agree with your assessment. I have a laminated stock and plan to bed the barrel in the stock and not float it. I don't think the design is robust enough to free float a bull barrel. I also got the V block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much of an adjustment is required to be made for the barrel droop on the 10/22 rugers for 100, 200, and 300 yds. I'm in the process of building one up. Nothing fancy just a hogue stock with a tac sol bull barrel 16.5 inch with a 3x9 bushnell.
I have the moa adjustments from here for those distances but would like to know the specifics of the barrel droop only. </div></div>

"An adjustment", or correction to the barrel angle to compensate for <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">10/22 "Barrel Droop"</span></span> is a separate matter from adjusting a gun's open or telescopic sight to shoot at a given distance (which simply has the operator angle the muzzle higher to raise the point-of-impact). Barrel droop correction is done to "level" the barrel in relation to the receiver. The amount of barrel droop varies from gun to gun, but food-for-thought is that 60 MOA = 1 degree. That means that even if your barrel only droops 1 degree you need 60 MOA "Up" just to "level" the barrel.

Barrel droop is an inherent byproduct of the 10/22’s V-Block. The V-Block has a single point of contact (the rearward cut in the barrel notch) to secure the barrel to the barrel block on the lug. The rest of the notch is un-loaded. As the two (2) V-Block screws are tightened the barrel is pulled downward, inducing barrel droop. Some barrel droop can be addressed through the use of an adjustable V-Block such as the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Rimfire Technologies V-Block Stabilizer</span></span>, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Gunsmither" Elevation Compensating Barrel Block for the 10/22</span></span>, or shimming of the barrel tenon, but these are band aids. They are never as accurate, reliable, or consistent as threading is.

Also, don’t forget that your scope’s LOS (line-of-sight) is 1.5” or more above the bore at the receiver, so even without barrel droop you're going to burn up some elevation to sight-in. I said “at the receiver” because the sight offset will vary from the chamber and muzzle ends due to barrel droop.

You can gain back some of your “lost” elevation by using a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Picatinny Rail</span></span>, or an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">EGW 20 MOA 10/22 Extended Picatinny Rail</span></span>, but that’s’ not what the rails were designed for, is it? Canted rails are designed to extend shooting distances.

The <span style="font-style: italic">best solution is to <span style="font-weight: bold">eliminate</span> barrel droop by threading the receiver.</span> Not only will you use less elevation to zero, but in combination with a 15 or 20 MOA base and a scope with lots of travel and/or a tactical reticle you'll be able to reach out to 300 more easily. As far as groups you are at the mercy of the wind. You can bed the barrel for support so you don't have to worry about warping the receiver under the weight of a heavy barrel.

Aside from the elimination of barrel droop, another key advantage of a threaded-in barrel is consistency. A rigidly-attached, threaded barrel will always remain in alignment with the receiver from shot-to-shot. The barrel-to-receiver alignment will not change, providing consistency. Consistency contributes to repeatability. Some people talk about how tight their barrel tenon-to-receiver fit is - how they had to heat the receiver and zap the barrel with 300 Below and then hammer the barrel into the receiver. Or how they shimmed the barrel and/or the v-block. That’s' all fine and well, but theres’ a lot of power released and vibration going-on when a .22 is fired. Why do you think that .22 Shorts are used to drive anchors into concrete? I'm not a physicist, but I'd say that the detonation of a .22 Short probably has enough shock power to momentarily knock/vibrate/force a non-threaded, non-pinned barrel out of "the sweet spot". This includes the hex screw of some modified/adjustable v-blocks. And that’s’ to say nothing about the pounding the breech takes as the bolt slams home, or the lighter, but still present jolt to the receiver's bolt stop (or bolt buffer if your rifle is so equipped) from the bolt.

Keep in mind that there is more to threading the receiver and barrel together than using a tap and die set - the receiver material must be strong enough to handle the stress of the weight of the barrel and to endure that stress and the mild but ever-present recoil of firing. The receiver face needs to be squared (machined at a 90 degree angle to the receiver sides), the receiver threads need to be square to the receiver, and the barrel threads have to be concentric with the receiver. Once this is done and the barrel and receiver are threaded together barrel droop is eliminated.

The best <span style="font-style: italic">overall solution</span> is to use a threaded receiver with a secondary lug, which will anchor the action to the stock. A firmly anchored receiver allows free-floating of the barrel - something that is normally not possible in a single lug 10/22 action (some people over at <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Rimfire Central</span></span> have anchored the rear of the receiver by <span style="font-weight: bold">pinning the receiver through the sides of the stock</span>. I don't like the idea of running pins through the side of the stock, which places stress on it. IMO the sides of the stock are somewhat thin and weak already.

Check-out the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MOA 17-4 SS Receiver</span></span>, the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">L.H. Precision, LLC</span></span>, or the upcoming Kidd Receiver, although the Kidd will be aluminum. While I prefer steel over aluminum, Tony Kidd sure knows what the hell he’s doing so I'm sure his receiver will be up to the task of handling the stress of a free-floated heavy barrel.

If you choose not to anchor the receiver through the use of a two lug receiver or the pinning method, bedding the barrel is the next best method to keep the action and barrel from tipping forward. With a fully bedded barrel you don't have to rely on a tight barrel channel or pressure pad to keep the action and barrel from "teeter-tottering" (the Ruger 10/22's single lug allows this "teeter-totter" effect because there is nothing holding down the back of the receiver). This is why virtually every 10/22 stock around has a snug-fitting barrel channel or uses a pressure pad for barrel support.

And, since you plan on shooting out to 300 yards, if you haven't already bought the Tac Sol barrel I suggest you rethink your barrel choice - the sleeved <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tactical Solutions</span></span> barrel doesn't seem to the best barrel for accuracy, and I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment at long range. I suggest going with a solid barrel from Kidd or Lothar Walther. Green Mountain has great price/performance ratio reputation, but if you're feeling spendy a tight bore .2150 Krieger may be the ultimate.

Keith

FWIW the tacsol barrels shoot, you just have to use their recommended ammo of CCI mini-mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW the tacsol barrels shoot, you just have to use their recommended ammo of CCI mini-mags. </div></div>
OK Isaac, perhaps I have been too harsh on the Tac Sol barrels. If you say they shoot, I'll take your word for it. CCI Mini-Mags, eh? I suppose it may be just what you said - people not shooting the recommended ammo. Nearly every comment I've seen regarding Tac Sol barrels has been negative. And the groups I've seen from shooters' at the range have not impressed me either, although I didn't see what ammo they were using.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Sol's barrel page</span></span> even brags <span style="font-style: italic">"These barrels are so accurate that we guarantee an inch at 50 yards!"</span> An inch at 50 yards is not impressive at all from a .22LR 10/22, but 1/4"-3/8" is. I've shot 5 shot, 3/8" <span style="font-weight: bold">total</span> group size with my 20" SS Butler Creek in a Hogue stock before. Not all the time - but 1/2" is pretty common for me using plain old Winchester Super-X High Velocity.

And over on RFC, the results that I've seen from people with Tac Sol barrels doesn't seem to be very good either (must be the ammo).

Don't get me wrong - I love my Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Picatinny Rail and those evil Black Dog mags I got so long ago, but I've never seen a sleeved barrel shoot as well as a quality solid barrel.

Keith

I like to shoot CCI standard velocity rounds through my Tac Sol barrel. Definately not target quality, but 3/4 at 50 yards is possible.