• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 barrel options (target/accuracy)

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Kidd? Shilen? Other?

Pros/cons, and why?

For those who want the long version: 10/22 I accurized about ten years ago, it used to shoot 1moa or better. At least 6k rounds downrange, groups and overall accuracy is deteriorating. I've been through the scope bases, v-block, re-bedded the action, I've played around with action screw torque and barrel preload... no improvement. I've even swapped optics. The bull barrel on it now is a cheapie (shooter's ridge) and served its purpose; since different ammo no longer makes any difference whatsoever I believe the throat is eroded. Time to upgrade;)

Have you checked for leading in barrel and tried to clean it out? I personally have never hear of an eroded throat on a 22lr........(unless abusive cleaning has taken place)

I had a cmp 40x that was not performing up to snuff.....I thought maybe somebody had messed up the barrel or something in the course of its life. Before I gave up on it and upon the advice of another rimfire shooter, I de-leaded the barrel and especially the chamber/throat area. I used a good brush and shooter's choice lead remover. Groups shrunk almost in half.

I have a 10/22 that I put an old cheapish butler creek bull barrel on a decade ago........it still shoots lights out but I do have to "de-lead" it once in a while.

IMG_1020.jpg

group is at 60 yards and is a 10 round group

It's been a while since I've done bore maintenance to that degree, but good point... I will do that once again. In fact, last time I de-leaded it I bought Shooter's Choice for that very purpose. Great tip, thanks!

The Hide rocks:cool:

I like the Green Mountain barrels. The bull barrels are good sub MOA@50 with the right ammo. My 24" bull would do it @100. There may be better barrels out there but twice as good to be worth twice the money. They are available all the way from short to 28"

If you do decide to rebarrel.......I would second the recommendation of green moutain and for the same reasoning as above. I have had luck with them, they are decent barrels. Kidds are probably better....as are shilens and some others. But, they are not going to be twice as good. Moreover, I believe IMHO, that once you hit the level of a green mouton barrel, its not the barrel that is the limiting factor in accuracy anymore---the vblock, the single stock screw, the semi automatic action, ammo and (of course) shooter skill all mean I will never see on paper the extra theoretical accuracy a kidd barrel brings---at least for me.

I have thought many times of "upgrading" my barrel on my 10/22 but when I go to shell out the money for a kidd or other custom barrel, I can't see what kind of accuracy improvement I will get over what I posted above. I am the same way with my hunting 308. It currently sits in a B@C m40 stock. I want a manners. But, the rifle shoots .75inch groups at 200 yards off a bipod and I have confirmed dope and at least MOA accuracy on it out to 550 yards. I WANT a manners but restocking it isn't going to improve that level of accuracy---I simply can't shoot any better than that. Now, I might still get the manners--cause they are so cool and it will save a little weight. But I have to be honest with myself and tell me that I am getting it cause I WANT it, not because its going to improve the performance

Well, I'll know tomorrow.

I just de-leaded it, and got a fair amount of crap (lead) out of the bore. Just for kicks I re-torqued the v-block, scope base, rings, and of course the action screw.

I too have heard good things about Green Mountain, and your assessment is what I've been told... that they're a lot of bang for the buck. Since this little carbine is just for fun & practice, I very well may go that route if I wind up re-barreling.

Thanks guys :D

Man, I've got a factory 10/22 barrel I've been thinking about replacing. Its had the lead cleaned out of it but still just won't shoot anymore. Its got 10s of 1000s of rounds down it. Does anybody have a recommendation for a replacement barrel with irons and threads?

Man, I've got a factory 10/22 barrel I've been thinking about replacing. Its had the lead cleaned out of it but still just won't shoot anymore. Its got 10s of 1000s of rounds down it. Does anybody have a recommendation for a replacement barrel with irons and threads?

Dang it... I think I tossed my factory barrel when I moved. Put a post up and ask. Someone has to have a stock barrel that they replaced sitting around.

If it is a blaster/vermin eradicator; you're done. If you want to spend a little more on it; send it to https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/que-barrel-work

He is a respected guy on rimfire central that reworks factory barrels for better consistency and accuracy. Will cost you about $60.

Clark barrels are on top of the pile as well. I picked the 21.5" mid weight. It's an awesome with mid grade ammo. It handles great for the length and weight. If you decide your barrel is worth keeping after you have de-leaded....that would be the cheapest route. You wouldn't be disappointed with a Clark.

Dont forget about whistle pig barrels. mine is way more accurate than it should be for a 10/22. 16" fluted, with threaded muzzle for a can. lightweight and terrific accuracy.

I wanted to replaced my stock 10/22 carbine barrel with a heavy barrel when I dropped it into an Archangel Target stock. Did not want to spend much so I took a chance on the Shaw 16" bull target from Midway on sale for $89. Man does that thing shoot! Tiny groups at 50 and I can hit 8" steel targets at 200 with good ammo. Totally satistifed for the price. It looks great too "in the white".

IMG_1326Large_zps8e307441.jpg

...so I took a chance on the Shaw 16" bull target from Midway on sale for $89. Man does that thing shoot!

I saw that ad a few months ago, and almost bought one. Good to know that they're a good value :)

I've been on the fence, whether to upgrade this 10/22 or find a Savage or CZ (or similar) bolt action trainer.
When I built this little Ruger carbine, I did it on the cheap... that was the whole point in doing it. I worked the FCG myself (2lb12oz, all factory parts), hogged out the factory barrel channel for a cheapie bull barrel. Bedded action of course. I wanted to see just how accurate I could do it for as little coin as possible; it's been a fun project and a good little shooter.

For the cost of a good aftermarket 10/22 barrel and stock, I could be into a bolt action trainer. Which considering my primary precision tool is a Savage 10, that would make more sense.

On the other hand, I could have far worse problems. Counting my blessings;)

IMO, for what ever that is worth. Here is my list of barrels in order of accuracy. Kidd, Shilen, Clark, Green Mountain followed by Shaw. I have owned/own all of them. I have one exceptionally accurate GM barrel. I got lucky with that one. My current Kidd barrel is the most accurate of all. The two Shaw barrels were not much better than the Ruger barrel. My Kidd gun will easily put 5 rounds well under 1/2" at 100 yds. Key to any accuracy is PROPER ammo. Don't expect Blazer to group like Eley. There is no such thing as cheap, accurate ammo.
Kidd and Clark use Walther blanks.

Well, I'll be darned.
De-leading the barrel made all the difference, back to shooting minute or better:D

Thanks ker2222 for saving me a couple hundred bucks:cool:

Dang it... I think I tossed my factory barrel when I moved. Put a post up and ask. Someone has to have a stock barrel that they replaced sitting around.

If it is a blaster/vermin eradicator; you're done. If you want to spend a little more on it; send it to https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/que-barrel-work

He is a respected guy on rimfire central that reworks factory barrels for better consistency and accuracy. Will cost you about $60.

He name is QUE at rimfire central RFC

If you google carbon and lead ring and rim fire....... You will get all the technical explanations and pics you could ever want. It is a phenomina seen in 22lr because of the exposed lead bullets......

Thanks for the info! This is what I needed! I'll keep my eye out for one!

No experience with their barrels....not implying anything.

He shot a single cloverleaf at 100yds.....all of us has done that at one time or another. Let's see 3 or 5 cloverleafs.

He shot like 5 plates that looked about 2" wide one shot a piece....again, nothing we all probably couldn't do from a rest properly dialed in. If you wanna say it was fast, I'll give you that.

Last all the trick shots he did was with a different rifle than the laminated one. He's one heck of a point shooter (as in natural instinct of where he's pointing). But I've seen him do the same shots with a Ruger pistol on Shooting USA.

No question the guy is talented....but nothing shown to us in that video shows that their target barrels are any better than anyone else's.

Not that I'm even remotely a fan of Ruger 10/22's....but before someone plops a shit ton of cash....they had better do some due diligence before buying one of these vs a "known and tested" barrel brand.

+1...............

I can shoot asprin out of the air too.....with snake shot....lol

ive had good luck with clark and kidd bull barrels, like high .2s to low .3s at 50y with good ammo. my rechambered factory barrel was good for 1/2" at 50y.

I wanted to replaced my stock 10/22 carbine barrel with a heavy barrel when I dropped it into an Archangel Target stock. Did not want to spend much so I took a chance on the Shaw 16" bull target from Midway on sale for $89. Man does that thing shoot! Tiny groups at 50 and I can hit 8" steel targets at 200 with good ammo. Totally satistifed for the price. It looks great too "in the white".

IMG_1326Large_zps8e307441.jpg

Funny, this looks almost exactly like my 10/22. Started out as a base model rifle I got in college about 1991 for $124 (still remember the price since it was written on the box) and was the first rifle that I "built" for accuracy. I had a green Hogue overmolded stock which was pretty good but wanted more LOP so I went to the Archangel. As for barrel, I went with a green mountain bull (don't remember if it is a 16" or 18") blued/fluted with the volquartsen scope mount (screws to the barrel and cantilevers over the action). As the barrel heats up and flexes, the scope is supposed to move with it. This combo has worked very well for me. I did a lot of testing with different ammo (probably 15 different types) to find the best shooting one for my gun and discovered it really likes the CCI minimag 36gr hollow points the best. It does not like match ammo or the typical 40gr bullets much. I could shoot a 10 round group at 50 yards that would fit under a dime with the 36gr minimag.... I also dropped the coin on a volquartsen trigger group which is very nice (probably unnecessary too vs a $75 trigger job) and the extended bolt handle/recoil spring. Got one of those plastic rod recoil buffers that replaced the rear pin too. This is a very fun gun to shoot out to 150-200 yards...

Where do Tac-Sol barrels fit into the mix? I recently got a heck of a deal on a 10/22 with a Tac-Sol barrel but don't know much about them as far as quality goes.

It puts rounds through the same hole at 50 yards. Funny story when it came in, I mounted the scope and took it to the range to be sighted in. 50 yards back I start trying to walk the rounds to the center of the target, the only problem was my rounds weren't moving with what I thought was sufficient adjustments but every 5-6 rounds or so. I pull the target back in and it turned out they were going through the same hole. Needless to say I was happy enough and finished sighting it in but I think I'm probably on the edge of adjustment for my scope. I like the hogue stock that's on it but it doesn't feel as solid as it probably should, so I think a new stock and scope are in order.

Rifle has the following improvements.
-TacSol Ultralight aluminum tensioned Fluted, threaded 16" bbl with thread protector
-Chamfered bolt
-Kidd innovations sharpclaw extractor, guide rod, bolt buffer, bolt handle, spring kit

8749709254_f779bd4517_z.jpg

No experience with their barrels....not implying anything.

He shot a single cloverleaf at 100yds.....all of us has done that at one time or another. Let's see 3 or 5 cloverleafs.

He shot like 5 plates that looked about 2" wide one shot a piece....again, nothing we all probably couldn't do from a rest properly dialed in. If you wanna say it was fast, I'll give you that.

Last all the trick shots he did was with a different rifle than the laminated one. He's one heck of a point shooter (as in natural instinct of where he's pointing). But I've seen him do the same shots with a Ruger pistol on Shooting USA.

No question the guy is talented....but nothing shown to us in that video shows that their target barrels are any better than anyone else's.

Not that I'm even remotely a fan of Ruger 10/22's....but before someone plops a shit ton of cash....they had better do some due diligence before buying one of these vs a "known and tested" barrel brand.

I can feel where you are comming from here but the great thing is if you have another high end barrel what do you have to loose? The worst thing that could happen is your groups shrink and if they don't they will refund your money.

Keep an eye on Kidd's site, they run a sale on barrels a few times a year. I have a 20" tapered barrel, a 16" bull, and a 16" lightweight (like a tac-sol). They all shoot better than I can hold the rifle.

Last edited: