• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 "Bench" questions

Deputy Dan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2021
Georgia
I'm shooting silhouettes with a 10/22 in an Archangel Precision Stock with an Atlas bipod. Distances of 80 to 200 yards off of a concrete bench.

I just read a post at Rim Fire Central where someone mentioned putting a pad - like on of those garden kneeling pads - under the bipod feet. The comment was that it would tighten up the shooter's groups. Anyone have any thoughts on why that could be the case? Eliminate bounce off the concrete bench? Easier to load/push the bipod?

When re-zeroing for some new ammo I noticed - for the first time EVER - my heartbeat moving the reticle. It could be because I just moved the bipod out another several inches in front of the actual stock. Maybe it was just really good lighting and a clear target image, and under less favorable conditions I just hadn't noticed before. I didn't try it at the time, but I wonder if a pad under the bipod might help dampen any such vibrations. Any other thoughts on offsetting the heartbeat - short of temporarily stopping my heart (tried that once, not trying again!)?

Right now the center of balance of the rifle is just forward of the trigger. I don't seem to need any additional weight for recoil management - though I suspect it couldn't hurt. Would some additional weight - to move the center of balance forward of the magwell - be of any benefit for shooting off a bench or is it only likely to help if/when I move to NLR22?

its a 22. off a bench its really not gonna matter

if your feet 'hop' from recoil or if you're putting too much pressure to 'load' the bipod there are problem there too. putting something under the feet wont help

atlas feet whether the original rubber or hawk hill talons should be moving on a concrete bench

If anything moving the bipod further out is going to reduce the effect of movement from the butt end (think of a lever). Perhaps had such great movement before that it was making you hold the bag tighter?