• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Build: Where to spend my money

hogfarmcaptain

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
Hi all,
I’m working on a 10/22 build and looking for a little advice from those who have experience with them. I’ve been doing a lot of research on which components to use and have found plenty on what is the best for each part (barrel, receiver, bolt, trigger, etc). However I’m looking to keep my build under $800 excluding glass. With the centerfire rifles I’ve put together I’ve found that it’s necessary to spend money on some parts (barrel & trigger) while other places don‘t have near as big of an impact on the accuracy (action, stock).

Can anyone give me some advice on where to spend my money?

Intended use is general target shooting and an extra gun for prairie dog shooting.

,Trigger, ammo and glass. I've had some bone stock 10/22's that shot great. And they all shoot better with good ammo.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I’m working on a 10/22 build and looking for a little advice from those who have experience with them. I’ve been doing a lot of research on which components to use and have found plenty on what is the best for each part (barrel, receiver, bolt, trigger, etc). However I’m looking to keep my build under $800 excluding glass. With the centerfire rifles I’ve put together I’ve found that it’s necessary to spend money on some parts (barrel & trigger) while other places don‘t have near as big of an impact on the accuracy (action, stock).

Intended use is general target shooting and an extra gun for prairie dog shooting.
First, do you have a factory gun to start with? #1 is the barrel, next is Trigger. I have built a few 10-22's. I would start with a Kidd Barrel and a Kidd 2 stage trigger ( best 10-22 trigger made IMO). If you have to buy a starter factory, look at getting a Barreled action from Kidd. I have a Kidd 2 stage trigger on a build of mine. I got a complete barreled Supergrade action for around $600 and put the trigger on it. And put it in a Titan stock. I have not checked Kidd current prices, but a complete barreled action and trigger will be around $1000.00. Just watch you can go down a deep Rabbit hole with a 10-22. Price the best before you get too deep.
Mark

IF, and it's a big IF, you can find a LVT version of the 10/22, buy it and send it to Joe Chacon (the ABRA guy), he will tune it up, bed the action to the stock, re-work the crown and chamber as needed, lighten the trigger down to around 2#, and it'll be a good shooter. Just add a scope, might be over your budget a bit, but not much. JMO

Assuming you have a receiver. F J Fedderson barrel, Kidd trigger, Power Custom or Kidd bolt (whatever you choose make sure it's pinned and head spaced for .043"), Victor Co. Titan stock. That'll do just fine.

Turns out that is $830 or so worth of parts. Might have to recycle some of those beer cans piling up in the front yard for a little extra $$.

Assuming you have a receiver. F J Fedderson barrel, Kidd trigger, Power Custom or Kidd bolt (whatever you choose make sure it's pinned and head spaced for .043"), Victor Co. Titan stock. That'll do just fine.

Turns out that is $830 or so worth of parts. Might have to recycle some of those beer cans piling up in the front yard for a little extra $$.
I don‘t have a receiver yet. I could buy a stock 10/22 just to tear It down but that seems like a waste of money.

See if you can find a Ruger 10/22 Target with the spiral barrel, put a Kidd trigger group in it, and a better stock. I have one of those in stainless and it shoots remarkably well.

Or, increase you budget and go all Kidd...that's really the best way to spend your money on a 10/22.

Buy once, cry once , but without any doubt of having bought the best up front. Gonna run $975-1200 for a complete KIDD barreled action with trigger and bolt. Plus, being a supergrade, the barrel is a two screw swap away. 10/22 is a complete rabbit hole to blow money, start at the top and save yourself cash in the long run. I’ve gone through eleven 10/22‘s and still own 5. My two KIDDs give me the least amount of trouble, but I primarily use bolt actions for matches now.

I don‘t have a receiver yet. I could buy a stock 10/22 just to tear It down but that seems like a waste of money.
Darn,
When I was building a lot I used Tactical Innovation receivers. They are inexpensive and built well. They make all the other components you'll need like a charging handle/spring and the pins and bolt buffer etc. That'll put you right around $1k for a complete rifle.

To stay at $800 I would do a barrel and the Kidd trigger and get a carbine for the receiver and stock. You can radius the bolt, pin the firing pin and check headspace with common garage/gun guy type tools. The barrel and trigger are your biggest bang for the buck (FJ Fedderson barrels routinely out shot all the KIDD barrels I went through), but make sure you modify the bolt to get the most out of it.

+1 for feddersen barrels, though I have a couple green mountain barrels that shoot great with CCI SV ammo. Brownells has bare receivers, but if I were to build another, I've built 4, I'd use the Feddersen Bronze receiver for the coolness factor. https://fjfeddersen.com/product/10-22-bronze-nickel-alloy-receiver/ I put JWH bolts in mine, they have worked well. Also reworked the factory triggers, brimstone does a good job, Kidd trigger is the best. I like the titan stocks as well. I'd say you should be able to make your goal if you don't use a kidd trigger or barrel. Go over to Rimfire Central, more info on 10/22's than you can read in a couple days.

I'd vote for a barrel also. I got a Green Mountain bull barrel in stainless and it made a world of difference. I also have added a Kidd bolt, mag release, Magpul Hunter stock, and for scope - went with the Vortex Venom in mil-mil. All of this makes for a nice shooter for plinking or NRL22 if you're going that way.

Does the $800 include the starter gun? You don't have a starter gun yet! Don't spend the money for just a receiver. One thing not said about the Kidd receiver's, a rear anchor that can be add to the action. It adds a second screw to the action, all others do not have this. Kidd's anchor works on Kidd stocks. I have a titan stock with Titan's rear anchor. The best setup for a 10-22 IMO.
The Supergrade action have two set screws that hold the barrel in. Kidd is the only one that makes barrels for the super grade. Great for cleaning. I take mine completely apart 1 or 2 time a year. I scrub the chamber and pull a bore snake thru it about every 250 to 300 rounds.
The big cost to the Kidd is the trigger $350, but it is the best. If you wanted to save money from the start, use a cheaper trigger like a BX ( damn my heart just skipped a beat or 2 ) But you will get a Kidd trigger sooner or later.

Mark

I say start with a barrel, a few good ones out there, on triggers, I have had a couple target models with triggers that seem equal to a Kidd, so I just bought the mag lever from tacsol and called it good.
I recently picked up a Ruger Race Rifle, made in 2007, seems accurate enough, but, I am not scoping it for pinpoint shots past 100. Also, my hands are old, screw that shit of stuffing heavily lubed ammo into those magazines, so CCI SV it is.

Reactions: Redheeler
Another Vote for a good barrel....just updated an inherited 10/22 and installed a Tactical Solutions 16.5" helical fluted barrel on it and it improved accuracy by almost 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. Spend yer big money on a barrel and then a trigger.

VooDoo

Based on your budget, get a good barrel, Kidd or Federson. My Fedderson shoots great groups with Blazer ammo. Save money on the trigger, get a standard 10/22 trigger and send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing for the tier 2 sweet spot trigger job. Go with magpul for a decent stock, Titan for a better stock, then pick a receiver and rail.

Federson 16" barrel,,Kids 2 stage trigger,bolt handle/ recoil spring,rear buffer pin.
Sent bolt to Randy at CPC,,raidiesd bolt pinned Kidd firing pin to bolt,,Kidd mag release.
Bell and Carlson stock.
About 550 in it.
Was a 50th Anniversary 10/22
Sold the barrel,,internal,,and stock

In your budget you might be able to find a used Kidd floating around. You need to figure out what you want to do with the rifle - do you want it light and handy, or very accurate from a bench? Kidd has barrels to meet either end of the spectrum. I have one of their Ultralights, and the overall build is VERY accurate and VERY handy. With your budget I'd actually not get a Kidd trigger, because you can drop some Volquartsen parts in for $50 and get a significantly improved single stage. I'd put a good stock on it, Kidd barrel, and spend the rest on glass.

Adjust budget; buy the best.

It will be less expensive than getting what you can "afford" now, and end up spending more money to upgrade later.
That’s exactly the opposite of what I was asking for. If all I was going to do was buy the most expensive parts I could’ve done that without input from anyone. Luckily, some people actually read the post and helped me determine what parts are actually worth spending more money on and that sometimes the most expensive isn’t even as good as some of the cheaper stuff.

I love the 10/22 as it is a decent , cheap semi auto gun that works and is fun to shoot for a couple hundred bucks , would I spend 2k in upgrading it probably not . Id probably by a tika ( a better action) put on that mdt chassis ( not requiring pillars or bedding ) or a krg chassis and pillar and bed it and upgrade that or what I have a cz ( I got the mtr ) I do wish it had a longer barrel like that cz at one is 24'' mine is only 21.5 . but you are going to do what ever it is you want to do with your money or even finding a Lithgow 22 lrs or a Anschutz 22 lrs either of them would be extreamly nice shooting guns . you can put tons of money into a gun and it adds up pretty fast but dressing a pinto up to look like a Porsche don't make it a Porsche . best of luck with whatever you decide to do or get send pics so others can drool along with you .

That’s exactly the opposite of what I was asking for. If all I was going to do was buy the most expensive parts I could’ve done that without input from anyone. Luckily, some people actually read the post and helped me determine what parts are actually worth spending more money on and that sometimes the most expensive isn’t even as good as some of the cheaper stuff.

I built two identical rifles 8 years ago for my nephews who were 9 and 11 at the time. Started with a bare receiver, green mountain barrel, JWH bolt and charging handle, stock trigger that was cleaned up with a aftermarket shoe, I think the stock was a raptor, with the rings, scope, and bipod as in the photo, I had just over $800 in each of them. Easy enough to do it now without glass. And I've gotten more picky about glass as my B14r has an Athlon Cronus on it. :) Test target is 5 rounds of CCI SV at 25 yards after zeroing the scope so about 10 rounds total down the barrel. Made my own second hold down point using a brass screw that indexes with the cleaning hole at the back of the receiver, rock solid. The JWH bolts have their initials on them.

KyleRifle_test.jpg

KyleRifle.jpg

I didn't say buy the most expensive, I said buy the best. Try understanding what I posted with a half assed attempt at reading comprehension.

As others have said, these can be rabbit holes, but I understand having to set a budget. I started with a bone stock 10/22. Tried a few different stocks, ended up with an Archangel. Other than a Feddersen barrel, it's bone stock (even the trigger...that's on the agenda for an upgrade this year). As it sits now it's around 1 MOA at 100 yards with SK rifle match ammo. You can find used 10/22s for around $250. A Feddersen barrel starts at $145. These can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make them

I love the 10/22 as it is a decent , cheap semi auto gun that works and is fun to shoot for a couple hundred bucks , would I spend 2k in upgrading it probably not . Id probably by a tika ( a better action) put on that mdt chassis ( not requiring pillars or bedding ) or a krg chassis and pillar and bed it and upgrade that or what I have a cz ( I got the mtr ) I do wish it had a longer barrel like that cz at one is 24'' mine is only 21.5 . but you are going to do what ever it is you want to do with your money or even finding a Lithgow 22 lrs or a Anschutz 22 lrs either of them would be extreamly nice shooting guns . you can put tons of money into a gun and it adds up pretty fast but dressing a pinto up to look like a Porsche don't make it a Porsche . best of luck with whatever you decide to do or get send pics so others can drool along with you .
I understand that it’s not going to be the best shooting rimfire in the world and that’s why I set my budget where I did. I don’t need it to shoot 1/4” groups at 50. I just want something to have a little fun with that’s a little nicer than stock 10/22s. If I ever decide I need something that will shoot like that I’ll definitely be looking at the options you listed.

I built two identical rifles 8 years ago for my nephews who were 9 and 11 at the time. Started with a bare receiver, green mountain barrel, JWH bolt and charging handle, stock trigger that was cleaned up with a aftermarket shoe, I think the stock was a raptor, with the rings, scope, and bipod as in the photo, I had just over $800 in each of them. Easy enough to do it now without glass. And I've gotten more picky about glass as my B14r has an Athlon Cronus on it. :) Test target is 5 rounds of CCI SV at 25 yards after zeroing the scope so about 10 rounds total down the barrel. Made my own second hold down point using a brass screw that indexes with the cleaning hole at the back of the receiver, rock solid. The JWH bolts have their initials on them.

View attachment 7773769

View attachment 7773770
That’s a badass build! What kind of stock is that?

I didn't say buy the most expensive, I said buy the best. Try understanding what I posted with a half assed attempt at reading comprehension.
So you came onto this thread to tell me to “buy the best” without any examples of what your idea of “the best” is? So helpful.

So you came onto this thread to tell me to “buy the best” without any examples of what your idea of “the best” is? So helpful.
Go back and read my first response in this thread. Proving yet again you only see what you want to agree with.

With the right modifications, one can get a Pinto to perform much like a Porsche, but it's still just not going to look as cool as one. o_O

Back in the 70's I turbocharaged my '72 Pinto to ~300 HP and with some suspension modifications, it could keep up the 911S's of the day. You'd have to drive it to believe it! :eek:

My Pinto(turocharged with suspension upgrade) 1975 Jul.jpg
My Pinto(turocharged is the future) 1975 Jul.jpg

Last edited:
Go back and read my first response in this thread. Proving yet again you only see what you want to agree with.
My apologies. There are lots of posts on this thread so it’s hard to keep them all straight. But advising someone to disregard a budget they set for a reason is the best way to get your advice ignored.

Reactions: straightshooter1
My apologies. There are lots of posts on this thread so it’s hard to keep them all straight. But advising someone to disregard a budget they set for a reason is the best way to get your advice ignored.
Understanding why someone would advise to adjust their budget would be better if you understood why they suggest it. I've been down the "buy what I can afford this instant" road before...it ALWAYS cost more money than saving up, to buy something better initially. I'll leave your thread now...you only want to argue, rather than trying to open your mind to other options. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sharpshot50
That’s a badass build! What kind of stock is that?

I think it was called a raptor, it's on ebay as a volquartsen magnum these days. For the cost now I'd get a titan, they also index with the trigger group to act as a second anchor to lock the action into the stock.
Here's a link to the stock on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/144285463940?hash=item2198157584:g:wA8AAOSwzzZhir~v
If you do a search on eBay you'll find lots of stocks in cool styles and colors.
Here's a link to the JWH bolts, with handles , https://www.jwhcustom.com/product-category/cnc-bolt-kits/

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks
I bought a bergara bxr carbon hoping to get a decent reliable gun for a reasonable price. It wouldn't group, and wouldn't feed reliably.
Sold it and would avoid these unless you like being frustrated.

NEW BUILD
-Brownells non rail takedown reciever and bolt
-Volquartsen carbon takedown barrel with cantilever mount
-magpul backpacker stock
-Ruger BX trigger with Volquartsen bolt hold open
-Kidd op spring, bolt rod, and charging handle
-Volquartsen extractor and firing pin spring

The whole build cost about 800 is super light. Reliable especially with cci std and will shoot extremely fast if you're interested in that.
The biggest surprise to me was how accurate I can shoot it especially that it only has a red dot (easily take pdogs to 100) If I build any other 10/22 I will be using Volquartsen barrels, I have not used the Kidd but they would probably be great as well.

Best is an opinion, I'll put all three that I built from blank receivers against a kidd, two have GM barrels, one has a Feddersen. Two stage kidd trigger would be a nice upgrade but that's the only thing I'd change. But if I were spending kidd money I'd get a Vudoo or RimX.

I bought 2 of these for 509 per 2 yrs ago. Did everything I asked them to do knowing some limitations, one limitation was not sorting through too much target ammo.
Decent stock, triggers on both more than acceptable, actually one was great, barrel shot great for being pencil thin with an aluminum sleeve over it.
Going for 589-629 on gun broker.

You keep chewing guys asses for not reading your initial post, yet I cannot figure if you are starting from scratch or changing out parts.

Hi all,

Lots of good components to choose from: barrel, receiver, bolt, stock. But IMHO a KIDD trigger is a must have.

OFG

You don't need to. You can buy aftermarket receivers or take-off Ruger receivers like these:

https://sapoutfitters.com/product-category/ruger-10-22/10-22-receivers-22-charger-receivers/

Neat tidbit: If you buy a Ruger Charger action, you can put an arm brace on it instead of a traditional stock and run barrels shorter than 16" without NFA. Of course you can put a 16"+ barrel and turn it into a rifle, but some like to have options.

If you want a conversation piece, someone local to me has one of these for sale:
rt.jpg

Best is an opinion, I'll put all three that I built from blank receivers against a kidd, two have GM barrels, one has a Feddersen. Two stage kidd trigger would be a nice upgrade but that's the only thing I'd change. But if I were spending kidd money I'd get a Vudoo or RimX.
I recommend Fedderson barrels over Kidd any day.

Any E R Shaw barrel fans out there?

I like mine for the price it's been a great upgrade on the 10/22.

Boo Hoo for you "Captain" if this former E4 can afford a Kidd/or anything better so can you, I have spent many thousands of dollars settling for something that works, had I just saved my pennies, I would have had the best from the get go, and that money saved could have gone to training time and ammo, buy once cry once!

Boo Hoo for you "Captain" if this former E4 can afford a Kidd/or anything better so can you, I have spent many thousands of dollars settling for something that works, had I just saved my pennies, I would have had the best from the get go, and that money saved could have gone to training time and ammo, buy once cry once!

Guess you didn't notice the photo I posted above of a non kidd rifle that shoots as good as a kidd that cost less than 800 to build. Only ruger part was the trigger assembly, but it isn't stock. :) I can afford a Kidd but I wouldn't spend the money when I can put something together myself that shoots just as good and I get the satisfaction of building it too.

If you don’t have a donor rifle, save some additional money and buy a Kidd Supergrade rifle. No building necessary.

If you don’t have a donor rifle, save some additional money and buy a Kidd Supergrade rifle. No building necessary.
How would that save money? A Kidd supergrade barreled action is over $1200 and $1900 with a magpul stock I wouldn't buy.

Last edited: