• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Build

Spicerack

Misanthropic Ginger
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
Green Bay, WI
Good evening,

A 10/22 landed in my lap for the best price. It is my first 10/22 and is completely stock and in very good condition. The trigger is terrible, along with the bolt lock/release porta-potty fire situation, and mag release that needs a 5 year old's finger to dig into the stock to depress. So I started looking into upgrades and, wow, a girl can go bananas in upgrades for these! I had my eye on a CZ457 VPT but I think one can build a pretty decent shooter for the CZ money. Here is my list of upgrades so far:
1. Volquartsen TG2000 trigger, $225
2. Victor Co. Titan, $170
3. Kidd Ultralight Black Threaded and Capped 16.5" Barrel, $205
4. Rail, Rings, Glass, ???

Figured this would end up being a plinker to start out, some rare small game hunting occasionally (hence the light short bbl), and in a few years will be handed to my daughter when she gets old enough to be safe with a firearm, then possibly be used in some competitions if we can find some in our neck of the woods (NE WI). Plus I realllly want to get some groups up in the 6x5 thread to see how it compares to some of those nice rifles at the top of the lists.

What are your thoughts here? Am I chasing something that will be out of my expectations? Any other upgrades I should look at?

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Dude, IMO if you want a nice 10/22 just go Kidd from the get go. I SBR'd a factory one to make it a toy and even that's a waste of money. A stock 10/22 is best left a stock cheap plinker, a "my first rifle" or a toy.

This one is built on Kidd parts with a single stage trigger, Titan stock and Liberty Pinnacle 2 integrally suppressed barrel, so it's nice AND it's super quiet with 12" of suppressor:

IMG_0837.JPG

You COULD upgrade what you have and get a significant improvement OR throw in a receiver and bolt and have a damn nice rifle plus a plinker. I guess that's what I'm getting at. As far as polishing turds go though, it is doable with your list or spend a bit more and get two rifles.

Now if you do build it from scratch, get a threaded barrel (threaded into the receiver). I wish I'd done that but I was trying to beat yet another goddamn gun law (41F) and wanted to get it on paper faster.

There's another company besides Kidd that makes nice 10/22 threaded receivers but I forget the name... Not Volquartsen though. Eagle or MOA or something comes to mind but I could be way off.

Oh, lots of options for glass but I went with a 1-4x Vortex w/MOA reticle. I don't like a lot of glass, especially on a .22 and this one has a fairly fine reticle so it works well for me. The rings are like $300 adj. USO rings --hey, I had 'em laying around and they were just the right height. Plenty of options here though.

Reactions: Spicerack
I hear you... spend $300 more and have two rifles. Makes sense, but I CAN NOT stand the stock trigger and bolt catch and feel like it is a safety issue for younger shooters that might get discouraged by the tough trigger pull or get focused in on working the stupid bolt catch mechanism that needs three hands and a forked tongue then they lose muzzle awareness. So the stock rifle is getting upgraded anyway. So this will be the polished turd, as you say, for the daughter; with maybe a CZ or a Kidd for dad someday possibly in the future.

(I know - go be poor somewhere else.)

Nice rifle, BTW! What kind of accuracy are you seeing?

Good evening,

A 10/22 landed in my lap for the best price. It is my first 10/22 and is completely stock and in very good condition. The trigger is terrible, along with the bolt lock/release porta-potty fire situation, and mag release that needs a 5 year old's finger to dig into the stock to depress. So I started looking into upgrades and, wow, a girl can go bananas in upgrades for these! I had my eye on a CZ457 VPT but I think one can build a pretty decent shooter for the CZ money. Here is my list of upgrades so far:
1. Volquartsen TG2000 trigger, $225
2. Victor Co. Titan, $170
3. Kidd Ultralight Black Threaded and Capped 16.5" Barrel, $205
4. Rail, Rings, Glass, ???

Figured this would end up being a plinker to start out, some rare small game hunting occasionally (hence the light short bbl), and in a few years will be handed to my daughter when she gets old enough to be safe with a firearm, then possibly be used in some competitions if we can find some in our neck of the woods (NE WI). Plus I realllly want to get some groups up in the 6x5 thread to see how it compares to some of those nice rifles at the top of the lists.

What are your thoughts here? Am I chasing something that will be out of my expectations? Any other upgrades I should look at?

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Aaron,
Pay a little extra and get the Kidd 2 stage trigger, best 10-22 trigger made. I have a Kidd Supergrade, in a Titan. I like Kidd bases with Burris Sig. Zee rings. I have a Sightron S111 8x32 on my Kidd.
Scopes, the sky is the limit. Vortex has a life time warrant and they have low priced to the high end scopes.
Mark

I made one off a Brownells receiver and bolt for a bit of money savings (and better quality than Ruger) over a full kidd. My Kidd barrel, holds the 1/2" guarantee at 50 yards with the right ammo. Look at getting the titan spike as well.

Without getting into a whole Kidd vs. VQ debate like can easily be found all over the interwebs, the Kidd single stage is on sale right now so I'm going with that as the first step, and will go all in on other Kidd accouterments since going with their barrel too. The continuity of design from that line of thinking appeals to my inner geek as well. Two stage triggers are ok but it isn't something that gets a high priority from me. As long as it is a decent clean break I'm happy. The gun came with a cheapo 4x duplex reticle scope so at least it has something to get plinking right away, until I find a nice used deal... thinking something in the Athlon line that can adjust parallax at close ranges. Pretty sure people will be dumping their older models for the newest after SHOT.

Aaron