• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 buildup, or Savage FV-SR, and what ammo?

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
Been thinking that I need another .22, guess it’s just that time of year. I was thinking about using “stovepipe” in the back of the safe as a base for a simple shooter, for subsonic backyard and hunting work. I have a 10/17 and a MK2 FV in .17hm2, so the supersonic hunting accuracy need is not there. I’m looking, either way, at a Boyds Evo SS stock, in grey for a blued barrel, or blue for a stainless model. Scope has been decided for now as the extra CP 4-16x40 I have. I hope to have a can when I can get back to the states and get paperwork started, hence the threaded barrel, and the for $25 more barrel setback from Que/CPC.

Price wise, this is where I am at

10/22

Brimstone trigger job $70
Bolt buffer - already have it
Que/CPC bolt work $35 to 50
Barrel, ($80-infinity) or CPC/Que barrel setback and threaded $75-110
20 moa base - $40

or

Savage FV-SR - $217 from CTD

DIP stock stuff - $46
DIP 25 MOA base - already have

I know that the bolt-action will be quieter than a moving semi-auto action, but I think it might be more fun for other shooters with the semi-auto.

Second, what ammo should I be looking into? It seems that most ammo is very scarce right now, but my father goes to gun shows and might be able to snag some if necessary. I have been looking and reading about the CCI SV, CCI segmented hollow point, and Winchester Super-X, and they seem to be good from most accounts. The Remington subs and CCI subsonics seem to be on the opposite end? Without getting it $8-10 per 50, what should I be looking at? Again, ultimate accuracy isn't the object, as much as decent accuracy for the price for plinking, and accurate and deadly for hunting/pesting.

Re: 10/22 buildup, or Savage FV-SR, and what ammo?

I have been looking and reading about the CCI SV, CCI segmented hollow point, and Winchester Super-X, and they seem to be good from most accounts. The Remington subs and CCI subsonics seem to be on the opposite end? Without getting it $8-10 per 50, what should I be looking at? Again, ultimate accuracy isn't the object, as much as decent accuracy for the price for plinking, and accurate and deadly for hunting/pesting.

I have a 10/22,stock-hammer forged barrel(cut/threaded to 16 1/2), home-trigger work, all in a J Bunting bull-pup stock.

My testing has consisted of the following ammo and I will list them in the order in which I acheived the smallest/most consistant groups with an acceptable report (ie.no supersonic crack). All ammo was seperated into weight groups down to the tenth of a grain. I did not measure any rim thickness. Disclaimer: NO TWO RIFLES ARE THE SAME AND YOU MAY HAVE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RESULTS ---

Manufacturer price/per# Notes Distance testedyds
Eley club xtra $9.50/50rnds Top Pick-Dirty 50yds (.625")
Wolf match target 6.25/50 So close to ELEY!-Dirty 50(.7")
SK std plus 7.95/50 Same as Wolf 50(.7") 100(1.1")
CCI greentag 17.99/100 $$$$$ 50 (.75")
Remington Subsonic 1.59-2.99/50 Great Value 50 (.75) 100(1.7")
CCI Std Velocity 3.25/50 Another descent shooter 50(.75")
Gemtech subsonic 3.25/50 50 (.85")
CCI quiet Very quiet,Trouble cyclying,50(.9")
CCI segmented HP 6.99/50 Would not feed regularly 50(.9")

The too loud list (sonic crack with can)

Blazer
Remington "Thunder bolt" and Target
Federal lightning
CCI Mini-mag Round Nose and HP

The Velocity with the above setup seems to be sensitive to FPS above 1100 or thereabout.

Both my FV-SR and wife's 10/22 really like CCI SV and Federal Automatch.

Over multiple 10-shot groups, I've seen both sets of ammo, in both rifles, group very tightly (0.4-0.5") but send one or two fliers high that open up groups to the 0.75" range. I've seen it enough that I don't think its me but rather the ammo, and that sorting would eliminate most if not all the fliers.

Both rifles absolutely hated a ~4 year old box of Federal Bulk I had laying around (2" 10 shot 50yd groups) and do reasonably well (1") with CCI Mini-Mag of both the 36 and 40gr variety.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the 10/22's accuracy out of the box (Pink Hogue stock and no barrel band) though the FV-SR shoots tighter with Tacticool stock and DIP metal. It did take about 200rds for the FV-SR to really settle in, however.

Well if you do the FV-SR Evo-SS Grey Stock / Blue Action here's a visual reference ;-)

DSC00464.JPG

So Far only ran Augila 40gr.Golden Target 1040fps @ $35/500 thru her so can't give a preferred ammo type !

I missed the FV-SR at $200, and $201, because I didn't have my FFL's license. Got it ready to go now.

Kinda' tough to go wrong with a 10/22. You've got good accuracy, & more choices in modular parts to tune/build the rifle than you can shake a stick at. And quick follow up shots for pest control, if the first round don't get the job done.

For plinking, I'd say the 10/22 gets the nod for fun factor. And if you're teaching folks to shoot with one, it's easy enough to start out by just loading one round at a time until they're up to speed on safety, as well as the basics of shooting. Ditto on knowledgability of the weapon's operation.

The only catch which comes to mind, is if you want to use it to build a trainer platform which matches your centerfire rifle. But you didn't mention as much, so...

I don't own a bolt action aside from Savage Mk2s, so training on a MK2 in .22LR for a MK2 in .17hm2 is kinda out. I think if I end up with a bolt it will be a Tikka in 243 or 6.5x55, or a Mossberg MVP in .223, or .243 if they bring it out. The MVP has the "tacticool" stock, and "lightning" accutrigger, which would be the TRR-SR for a trainer I guess.

But no, not looking for a trainer, as the only "big" gun would be an AR in 7.62x39, and ammo for that isn't at a premium, and I have a 5.45 that will be setup close if not the same, and we all know that ammo for that was until recently a penny or two above good .22LR ammo.

Northman, I wouldn't go big on the 10/22. Barrel setback was only on the list because it's free when I compare barrel threading to local prices. Bolt work is there in hopes of hushing things up, and trigger just because I feel spoiled by my RWS 850's trigger. Either way, I am waiting on a reply from Savagegunsmithing on a mailed in accutrigger trigger job.

If you do go with the savage I would look into the rifle basic trigger, I really like mine.

The Mk2 I bought back has a RB trigger. I was hoping to go "trainer" as far as the trigger, but just because it would be safer for other users to have the blade and 2 pounds there rather than a simple 1.5lb. trigger.

Derreckmorehead, a bullpup is something that I would love to find, without the accompanying sloppy trigger. Watching the Russian crow sniping videos on Youtube make me want something small and maneuverable. Usage would obviously be different though. I think an Edgun Matador stock cut for either rifle would be perfect.

THe ZK-22 and HTA-90 stock are both drawing my attention. Hopefully they will come out a few months before I get back to the states so there will be some reviews and the growing pains will be over.