• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 10/22 Gunsmith

Fattygabbiee

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2017
Hi all,

Hoping someone can point me to a gunsmith that can look at my custom 10/22 pistol setup. The build consists of the following:
  1. Enoch Industries Odin chassis
  2. Receiver - Tac Sol X-Ring receiver
  3. Timney extended magazine release
  4. Trigger – KIDD single stage trigger
  5. Barrel – 6 inch KIDD
  6. Brace – SB Tactical FS 1913
I have tried multiple 22lr ammo: CCI SV, CCI Quiet, CCI Mini Mag, Aguila Match, SK Standard, and SK Pistol. I get FTF, FTE, and one time, a double fire. I brought it to a local gunsmith and he tuned it somewhat but I am still experiencing issues. The CCI Mini Mags have been the most consistent and the only ammo that I was able to fire all 10 and 25 rounds from a magazine without an issue (only happened once for each mag). After that, I would get a few FTFs.

I have tried different 10 and 25 round Ruger magazines. Every magazine produces the same types of issues.

Are there any 10/22 gunsmiths that you recommend I can send my setup to for diagnosis?

thanks,
FG

I have some experience with 10/22’s. The Tac Sol Recievers are the best.

The issue is probably the barrel. I sold Kidd stuff. Their barrels are great. But, they are a match chamber (tight). I would suggest you buy some Match Ammo from Eley, Lapua or SK. Try a small amount of each different kind you can find. Then when you find one that functions and is accurate, buy more.

or if you don’t need 1/2 MOA accuracy, buy a Tac Sol barrel. They have a larger chamber and cycle most ammunition (including CCI Stingers).

That is my $.02.

I hope it helps.

22 semi chambers are different than bolt chambers. 22minimag are working because the proj is smaller to accommodate more powder / velo.

Someone said try different ammo, which does help (like 32 or 36gr) but realistically you need your chamber lickes out with a correct reamer.

BENTZ chamber is not bad.

Attachments

• ChamberDimensions.jpeg
    ChamberDimensions.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 43
Thank you everyone. I will pickup a variety of match ammo, possibly get another barrel and see if that helps and/or have a smith redo the chamber.

Reactions: iceng
Step one... Throw away the 25 round magazines. I know they fit into the mall ninja theme but they are rarely 100% dependable. Step two.. Do what Broc said. Send it to Randy @ CPC.

Hi all,

Hoping someone can point me to a gunsmith that can look at my custom 10/22 pistol setup. The build consists of the following:
  1. Enoch Industries Odin chassis
  2. Receiver - Tac Sol X-Ring receiver
  3. Timney extended magazine release
  4. Trigger – KIDD single stage trigger
  5. Barrel – 6 inch KIDD
  6. Brace – SB Tactical FS 1913
I have tried multiple 22lr ammo: CCI SV, CCI Quiet, CCI Mini Mag, Aguila Match, SK Standard, and SK Pistol. I get FTF, FTE, and one time, a double fire. I brought it to a local gunsmith and he tuned it somewhat but I am still experiencing issues. The CCI Mini Mags have been the most consistent and the only ammo that I was able to fire all 10 and 25 rounds from a magazine without an issue (only happened once for each mag). After that, I would get a few FTFs.

I have tried different 10 and 25 round Ruger magazines. Every magazine produces the same types of issues.

Are there any 10/22 gunsmiths that you recommend I can send my setup to for diagnosis?

thanks,
FG

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, I hated the stock Ruger magazines !!
Why...because of feeding issues. I spent a fair amount of time looking at the details of how the mags could be contributing to the feeding issues. De-rating the spring rate was the step that made the most sense. What solved my issues in my American and RPRR was to tune the magazines. All I did was to change the spring preload by 1/3 to 1/2. As a wonderful byproduct you can load the magazines with your fingers with ease.
I would test a mag first. If nothing else you will like the way she loads even if in the past you were using a load assist like I was. They can be a little tricky at first but you should know how to service them anyway. It is best if you loosen the bolt and never loose control over the hex nut. The nut has the spring anchor built into it so don't let it spin out of control.

Now that they are fixed, I can feel good about selling them both to someone else.

Shawn

Never had an issue with 10/22 magazines, though I've had to take them apart and clean them a few times. I only have about 20 of them :)

Never had an issue with 10/22 magazines, though I've had to take them apart and clean them a few times. I only have about 20 of them :)

My first reason to reduced the magazine spring rate is for better cartridge release. If you look at and feel the metal feed lip area, you will notice that it is semi coarse. I'm not positive but my guess is that it is manufactured using the MIM process. Regardless of process, the feed lips have a surface finish about like 600 grit wet/dry paper and your bullet casing that is likely 1/4 hard cartridge brass is pushed against that surface by the internal magazine spring. I would like to point out that many of my other magazines have much lighter springs and also have feed lips that are much smoother. They also have a much smaller contact area that touches the cartridge.
Since you have 20 of them and you can work on them, please find one that still has the factory spring tension and reduce the tension of one of them to just over 1/2. Load them both and feel and see how they react. Pay particular attention to the manual unloading of the factory mag.
Notice how draggy and stop and go the cartridge exits the factory mag. It is my assertion that the rough surface finish coupled with the factory spring rate is not ideal. The magazine with the reduced spring rate will load and unload like butter. I saw no simple way to polish the feed lip area so the spring was the next on my list of things to try.
I believe that If I suggested that people could improve the trigger pull of their gun buy polishing the sear and reducing the trigger spring rate, nobody would dispute that point.
So what does anybody have to loose by trying out this idea? They can always put it back the way it was.

It is just my opinion in any case. Nobody has to abide by it or even try it. From your tone, why does it sound like you are apposed to it and have already dismissed it? That sounds just a little short sighted.

Shawn

Attachments

• TRG3.JPG
    TRG3.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 46
  • TRG6.JPG
    TRG6.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Not opposed to it, many have been apart cleaned and some have less spring load, some have the same. It isn't a blanket answer. Lots of info on rimfire central. Anything and everything you could want to know about 10/22's can be found there. I've only got 4 of them but the only thing from ruger on them is the triggers.

Not opposed to it, many have been apart cleaned and some have less spring load, some have the same. It isn't a blanket answer. Lots of info on rimfire central. Anything and everything you could want to know about 10/22's can be found there. I've only got 4 of them but the only thing from ruger on them is the triggers.

I only own the two Ruger bolt guns and with luck, they will be gone by weeks end. I have done some trigger work on them both and I still don't care for the guns over all. I also put stronger springs in the magazine detent button and that helped somewhat. The American is the worse of the two. To much freedom of movement in the magazine well.
Perhaps I'm not Rugers target market. To be fair, I'm no fan of ATHLON scopes either.
I can only tolerate the ARES and the CRONUS.

Shawn

Attachments

• RUGER RPRR.JPG
    RUGER RPRR.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 31
To be fair, I'm no fan of ATHLON scopes either.
I can only tolerate the ARES and the CRONUS.

Shawn

I'm curious why you can only tolerate the Athlon Cronus since I don't don't of any other scope this nice in the price range.

I'm curious why you can only tolerate the Athlon Cronus since I don't don't of any other scope this nice in the price range.

Hi NewShooter,

Lets keep in mind that it is only my opinion and just because I have both of them, that doesn't mean a thing.... What I should have said is: I would never buy an ATHLON scope below the ARES.
I certainly don't see that the CRONUS is the best in it's price range.

Right now you can get a ATHLON CRONUS 4.5-29x56 with 1/4 minute clicks on Amazon for 1800.00
At B&H camera you can get a Trijicon 5-50x56 with 1/8 minute clicks for 1800.00
Have you compared the CRONUS to the Trijicon? To all of my senses, the Triji is better in every way.

I hope you have the opportunity to use them side by side. Is there anything that you would like to know about them? IE: The Triji has tool-less zero setting where the CRONUS needs an Allen wrench. Look, I have no dog in the race with either one of the scopes. I'm simply stating my observations to help other people. Lets face it, I'm stuck with the CRONUS. Don't get me wrong, it's not worth selling and taking a beating on but I would not buy it again. Conversely, I do own two Trijicons #RS50-C-1900030. Accupower 5-50x56 MOA crosshair w/red & green LED and
34mm tube.

As it happens, I just sold one of my three 8-34x56 HELOS ATHLONs today along with my only two Ruger bolt action rifles. I could never with a clear conscious recommend either one of them.
What I do recommend is the CZ 457 line-up. I own three of them and just held the chassis model today. After you adjust it's stock, you can lock it down with a set screw and make it Rock Solid.

It comes with a black trigger so a lap job will take no more than ten minutes. The chrome trigger
takes over 90 minutes to do.

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 40
  • tri-rs50-c-1900030-4.jpg
    tri-rs50-c-1900030-4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC09931.JPG
    DSC09931.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC09706.JPG
    DSC09706.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 39
  • TRG3.JPG
    TRG3.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 29
Right now you can get a ATHLON CRONUS 4.5-29x56 with 1/4 minute clicks on Amazon for 1800.00
Or you can get a new cronus btr every day for 1500 from our site vendors, and can be had for 1150 on occasion like I just got myself. Paying list price is stupid with the resources available here.

Or you can buy a cronus from someone else for less, first one I bought new a couple years ago was $1250, bought three last week for $1350 each. All my scopes are in Mils, and I prefer the athlon reticles as well. I haven't seen or used the Trijicon, nor have I heard too much about them.
Or you can get a new cronus btr every day for 1500 from our site vendors, and can be had for 1150 on occasion like I just got myself. Paying list price is stupid with the resources available here.

Or less than 1500, bought three, one for me and a couple for friends last week. First one I bought not long after they came out was $1250. Is there anything that competes at that price?

Firstly, I don't recall what I paid for any of my ATHLON scopes. That is why I had to use the Amazon price. As I recall the dealer gave me such a good price that he asked me to not mention it to anybody. In truth, I bought six scopes from him inside of two months. The ATHLONS were just not good enough to meet my standards. Price was not a big factor. I don't have a family to consider, If I want it I buy it. My two dogs still get plenty of rotisserie turkey breast from Kroger's to eat. It cost ten bucks each but it keeps them happy and that is all I care about. Is that stupid? It is to everyone but me.
Would you buy climbing gear, scuba gear or hang-gliding gear that was cheap or second hand? Go ahead !! I keep my gear like new but as soon as it reaches it's end of life date, the rope gets cut in half. If I drop a carabineer it get coated in black paint so that it never gets used again for climbing.
I know my life is not like most people have, that is the way I have made it. Lots of hard work for many years.
In truth, your right, I was stupid, very stupid, I should have ignored all of the good things that people say about ATHLONs and just spent the money up front for better products like I always have.
Look, I don't care what you or anybody else buy's, or does, not one little bit. It is very often not something that I am going to agree with and that is OK.
Except for people that shoot, who would understand that you spent 1250.00 on a scope for a stupid .22 LR?
NOBODY !! And you know it. Lets get over this and move on. Turning this into an adversarial discussion is not going to go anywhere. btw... I don't care for McDonalds or any other fast food either, big whoop.

Try and buy nicer stuff for yourself, you will probably like it and you likely deserve it. Your option is to live life like it is one big box of Bulk Ammo. Even my dogs wont tolerate that kind of subsistence. Just sayin !!

Shawn

Last edited:
I suppose that I should be happy that some folks are not very pleased with my opinions. That means that they have read my post.
So Schmidt & Bender, Tangent Theta and Zco for you I guess. :)

In truth, the next scope I looked to buy was a March 8-80 for 3K but they were out of stock. That is why
I bought the second Trijicon 5-50. I will look at those scopes just in case.
It is difficult to spend that kind of cash without looking through one and nobody in this small town at 38242
would ever have one for me to look at. If I stopped feeding the dogs turkey for 2.5 years, that would cover
the March scope. I could never bring myself to do that to my two shelter dogs because they have suffered enough.
I wont post any more of the boy's.... unless they have guns too. :cool:

Thanks
Shawn

Attachments

• 1 CHEWING PANTS.JPG
    1 CHEWING PANTS.JPG
    455.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1C LAZY MIDNIGHT.JPG
    1C LAZY MIDNIGHT.JPG
    500 KB · Views: 31
  • 1A BUDDY.JPG
    1A BUDDY.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 25
  • 1A MIDNIGHT&BUDDY.JPG
    1A MIDNIGHT&BUDDY.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 21
  • 1WET MIDNIGHT.JPG
    1WET MIDNIGHT.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
+1 on the problem being the bolt. Had similar problems with mine bought a kidd bolt $100 bucks no more problems.