• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 10/22 Liposuction

Hink

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2006
Amarillo Texas
I picked up a 10/22 for my son to use, and quickly learned that the adult size stock was far too big for him.

So I picked up another stock and cut three inches out of the butt, an inch and a half out of the foreend, sanded the factory walnut off of the maple and finished with eight coats of hand-rubbed half BLO, half mineral spirits. The before and after are below. What do you think?

000_0547.jpg

000_0549.jpg

Re: 10/22 Liposuction

Lovely...only thing I might have done differently is to pre-drill the butt stock lengthwise for two dowels...then slice the three inches into three pieces. Assemble with the dowels then finish the stock as one piece. Take it apart and fit a butt plate to the first section...then add sections and new butt plates as he grows.

Hink that looks great, I did something similar for my daughter earlier this year...
and like Calibur said, u can never out grow a 10/22

Thanks for the comments...I like former naval person's idea about having separate spacers to adjust for growth. If I had the tooling, then that would be the way to go. As it is, my power tools for this this work were a dremel and a 1/4 sheet palm sander. I figure that factory 10/22 stocks are fairly inexpensive, so I can do it again in the future.