• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 magnum to 17 HMR conversion

MTAR15

Twist'n Grips & Pack'n Dips
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 20, 2009
    Montana
    I've got a Magnum Research 22 magnum, which is basically a 10/22 design. I purchased a 17hmr drop in barrel and was going to do the conversion (I need a stiffer spring and heavier bolt knob).

While looking for the other parts to do the conversion I learned that there it's not recommended by Magnum Research. There is some issue with the 17hmr case separating at the rim in a semi-auto rifle. I called Magnum and they confirmed that it used to work fine, but no longer does.

I've shelved the idea, I'm not looking to get myself hurt. I trust that the rifle maker know what they are talking about. I was just wondering if anyone had any more history? Has anyone had first hand issues or experiences with 17hmr in a semi-auto?

Re: 10/22 magnum to 17 HMR conversion

there was a thread here somewhere a few months ago, and i know RFC has something as a sticky.

the manufacturer's - remington, ruger, magnum research, others - are willing to convert those that bought a .17 semi auto to .22lr or .22 mag.

i've not had first hand experience, but i guess there is enough mishaps outthere that the ammo and rifle folks do not promote the semi auto

Thanks, I did a forum search but may have not gone back far enough. I'll give it another try.

It's really too bad, I love the idea of a semi 17hmr. Oh well, guess I will use the new barrel as a hammer.

So far pretty much everything I've heard about a semi auto .17 HMR is not good, which is too bad.

Appears to have an issue with thin rimfire cases and the long peak pressure in a blowback design.

Ruger stopped 22/10Mags because they felt the .22WMR was right on the ragged of what is feasible in a blowback.
    Kabooms aren't fun with .22LR; WMR is a bigger issue.
    The .17HMR was more worse, and you'll notice Ruger catalogued but never shipped .17HM2 10/22s. Clark quit offering .17HM2 conversions, and I'm sure I can find barrels can found anymore.

have you turned the .17hmr barrel into a hammer yet or would you like to sell it