• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Midweight contour barrel??

fish30114

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2010
Canton Georgia
I have been looking for a 'regular' (non-threaded) barrel in a contour a little heavier than a factory, wihout sights on it, but without going all the way to a .920 contour.

Looking for a barrel that is in stock somewhere, not wanting to wait for a Lilja/Krieger etc. Appreciate any leads, intel on a barrel like this, and pros and cons too I suppose.....

Re: 10/22 Midweight contour barrel??

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Midweight 10/22 Barrels w/ Bentz Chamber:
</span>
Green Mountain 19" Heavy Taper:</span>
- Blue
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1709
- Stainless Steel
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1708
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Clark Custom [Lothar Walther]</span>
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/riflepts.htm#barrels

Have a great one

Thanks SPDGG, I had run across the Clark, but their lead time was crazy at that time, had not seen the GM before. I wonder what diameter the GM actually is--will send an e-mail to Shooters Discount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder what diameter the GM actually is--will send an e-mail to Shooters Discount.</div></div>
GM 10/22 HT Profile:

From Receiver On:
Starts at Approx. .915-.920" for 1" then tapers to .750-.755 at muzzle. OAL = 19"

For a complete rifle you're looking for a 10/22 LVT, 20" varmint taper barrel

Hilbillee, that is great, I had actually looked at that barrel on Midway, and it has been out of stock for a long time. I got one ordered just now--exactly what I was looking for I think.

The one concern I have is from the reviewer on Midway that said it wasn't a drop in, and a lot of smithing was required...don't know about that, but especially the 'grinding on the barrel thing...hope that isn't necessary, I'll figure that out before mounting it, and if it is, it will go back!!

Thanks again.

I have hadn't unable to install any standard 10/22 barrels
(5-7 after market).
Clark (4 barrels), Volquartsen(one), KID (3), maybe some others.
I use VersaChem Anti-Sieze goo (all coppery).
Butter receiver and barrel tenon, hold barrel in weak hand, with a plastic mallet in the strong hand tap the receiver until barrel is seated. In ejector isn't lined, tap the barrel partially back out (tapping the v-block lug receiver), until finally lining up.
Well seated.
V-block screws need like 20 in/lbs.
Some want to sand paper the tenon until fits. I finally did with a VQ barrel, until learning the KID's goo butter way; this is a much better way.

Hope I made clear; syntax is weird since a stoke 2 weeks ago.

fish301,

Like frog, I haven't been unable to install any 10/22 barrel. Just follow his advice on installing the barrel. DON'T do any grinding. I wrapped emory cloth around the shank and turned the barrel by hand until it was clean.

Thanks for the support.
Though I don't emery paper/cloth any more (only did once).
KID's technique has worked since.

Frog,
Only reason I have had to use emory cloth was to remove paint from a Tacsol barrel shank. Next time I install one I am gonna try the lube you spoke about. I normally just use a heavy oil.

Thanks guys, I am really less concerned about getting the barrel into the action, but am wondering if I will have to do any work to my barrel channel on the stock. The rifle is a factory 10/22 deluxe model. I am interested to see, got a Kid two stage trigger, pin kit and a few other bits that should be here in a day or two--hoping the barrel is the capper for a good shooter!

You will have to hog out the channel a bit.
Regular carbine or Deluxe is lighter.
An afternoon will take of it.