• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 precision barrel needed

Scratchthejeepguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
WI
I'm planning a 10/22 build and want a precision barrel for it. I don't know much about what's out there and actually don't even have the 10/22 yet. I'll be swapping the stock out to something nice also, but I want to get the barrel first. I'm hoping to stay around 300 for the barrel if possible... But would spend more if I have to. Any suggestions?

This is my choice, and the shorter version is plenty long enough. L-W Stainless is some very tough stuff.

Greg

I recommended either a barrel from Fedderson or Kidd.......both are what you want.

Take a look at Keyston Sporting Arms Barrels. They are lesser known but they are quality. There is a gent on ebay that sells them for between $110 and $150 depending on which one you chose. I can shoot dime sized groups with Remington SubSonic 38GR HP at 50 yards. Again just a suggestion.

Individuals cannot buy from Walther. That is where Kidd and Volquartsen get their unchambered blanks. There are several tiers of "match" grade 10/22 barrels. Bottom feeder would be Green Mountain, Shaw and a few others. Mid level would be Feddersen. They may not be a fair assessment on my part as I have never owned one. I would lump Shilen, Lilja, Clark and Kidd at the top.
That being said I have had a GM barrel that was very accurate. I would put a Shilen stainless and Lilja at the very top as they are both hand lapped.
Bottom line is you will spend some money finding which ammo YOUR barrel likes. Bad ammo in a Lilja will not group as well as good ammo in a GM barrel.

Greg, quite so time. Don't know exactly. I would love to have one of their 10/22 unchambered blanks. Most 10/22 "match" barrels have the Bentz chamber which, IMO, is way too long - .679"