• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Reliability

CowboyBart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2007
North West WY
I have 2 10-22's that I am having reliability issues with.
#1 - Composite barrel and Power Custom titanium trigger, sear, firing pin, springs... All the stuff came in a kit. The problem is that is not ejecting fired shells. The extractor appears to be shaped OK but it is not extracting. The action cycles - the spent case stays in the chamber - the next round tries to chamber.

#2 Stock except Green River heavy barrel. Misfires. Appears to have good solid hits on the case but no bang. About 50% misfire. When I pull the bolt back and let it go it will go bang. The next shot that the action picked up will not go bang. Even if I pull the bolt back on a misfired case it will not go bang.

I'll entertain any and all suggestions.

Re: 10/22 Reliability

Has the second issue always been or is it recent? Do you clean the bolt face with the butt or barrel down. If you do with it butt down then you may have brass brissels from the brush in the firing pin making it hang up. I have seen a few diffrent guns have this issue and that was what it was.

Number one check one of the spent cases that are sticking.
1. try to pull the non ejecting case to see if it is sticking because of a chamber issue. (to short or very rough)
2. check the case for ejector mark very light mark or none at all. this can be spring tension or the "hook" not having enough rake or bite a little sharper edge more like a "J" as apposed to an "L".

Second rifle.
did you put a light spring on the hammer?
pull the bolt and check to make sure the firing pin "bar" is free to move not bent or flexed and that it shows good contact with the hammer. If you still have a problem check to make sure you are getting a good dent out of it and see if you don't have some head space issues you can use some carbon paper on the back of a spent casing and let the bolt go home and see if you get transfer, you can use some clay also as long as you clean up well

What type of ammo are you using? I bought a box of Remington and I had a lot of misfires. I have had the best success with CCI.

The other question on ammo is if you're using something that's a light load (subsonic especially) I have occasional issues with my 10-22 not fully engaging the extractor when it comes forward again. Generally this happens when it's getting very dirty.

10/22s don't need the extractor to eject the shell as it fires. Don't believe me? just remove it and fire away.

The shell pushes back on the bolt, gets ejected, and the bolt pushes the next round into the chamber (bolt short cycles).

on #1, I don't see how the spent shell stays stuck in the chamber and the bolt cycles.

on #2, are you using CCI Subsonic?

If your chamber is tight, short, dirty, or you are using subsonic loads, you might have issues with spent shell staying in the chamber.

What ammo are you using??
What composite barrel do yo have?

One of the tricks for firing standard velocity or subsonic loads is to radius the back of the bolt.

Try different ammo. I bet what you are using does not like a Bentz chamber...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insert Name Here</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10/22s don't need the extractor to eject the shell as it fires. Don't believe me? just remove it and fire away.

The shell pushes back on the bolt, gets ejected, and the bolt pushes the next round into the chamber (bolt short cycles).

on #1, I don't see how the spent shell stays stuck in the chamber and the bolt cycles.

One of the tricks for firing standard velocity or subsonic loads is to radius the back of the bolt.</div></div>

+1 ON #1 You are so right didn't think of that. I'm bad. Give me more info on the radius of the bolt. Got a pic?

First try various ammo if you have not, esp. with aftermarket barrels with tighter chambers you will find there are types of ammo the 10/22's just won't like running well with.

I've had about the best luck with federal automatch as a second try if I find a 10/22 isn't running well with a certain ammo.

This is especially true for #1 where the spent shell is staying in the chamber after firing and the ejector looks fine. That's pretty common for a tight chamber/ammo issue.

#2 could be a headspace issue, especially if you are seeing light strikes on all the cases and if the only modification from stock is the barrel (no trigger/hammer/spring mods).

All the following was done on a used 10/22 that I bought about 20 years ago. It has had 1000's of rounds through it.
Milling a radius on the back of the bolt helped mine with stovepiping. I also polished the radius, the face of the hammer, the sides of the firing pin, and the sides of the bolt. I also milled the face of the bolt to minimum headspace. I still get an occasional misfire, but am blaming them on week hammer spring, I've got one on the way. Hopefully it will be the end of the misfires.

Cowboy,

your extraction problem is a know issue with a 10/22 and custom match chamber barrels. you are likely in need of a new extractor that has better tolerances here is one i would recommend a VCL 10/22 Exact Edge Extractor.

On weapon #2 you should put in a Power Custom Kit like you have in the first weapon "PC 10/22 Adjustable Hammer/Sear Pack", you should also put in a new extractor in while you are at it. that many miss fires is not an ammo issue. Personally i would also put in a different firing pin that has been optimized for rim fire ammo. and a Rimfire Technologies Extended Bolt Handle Assembly.

you can find everything you need here HawkTech Arms. and no i am not associated in anyway with this outfit but the owner Dan has been exceptional to deal with.

#2 is an ammo issue. Rem Game Loads that I bought 3 weeks ago were giving me all the misfires. Federal plain box that was bought in the '70's makes the gun run like a Swiss clock.
Haven't played with #1 yet, other than a thourogh cleaning. It is a Butler Creek compsite barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CowboyBart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#2 is an ammo issue. Rem Game Loads that I bought 3 weeks ago were giving me all the misfires. Federal plain box that was bought in the '70's makes the gun run like a Swiss clock.
Haven't played with #1 yet, other than a thourogh cleaning. It is a Butler Creek compsite barrel. </div></div>

50% miss fires out of one brand of fresh ammo? you must be the unluckiest SOB with 22LR i have ever heard of. these little Ruger's are particular beasts but that's just nuts.
sick.gif

For #1 replace your ejector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogbone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CowboyBart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#2 is an ammo issue. Rem Game Loads that I bought 3 weeks ago were giving me all the misfires. Federal plain box that was bought in the '70's makes the gun run like a Swiss clock.
Haven't played with #1 yet, other than a thourogh cleaning. It is a Butler Creek compsite barrel. </div></div>

50% miss fires out of one brand of fresh ammo? you must be the unluckiest SOB with 22LR i have ever heard of. these little Ruger's are particular beasts but that's just nuts.
sick.gif

For #1 replace your ejector. </div></div>

About 30 years ago, my brother in law bought a box of S&W .357 magnum ammo. Every round in that box was a dud because none of them had any powder.

Those were not duds they were miss marked top secret military hush rounds to be used in a suppressed Desert Eagle for ultra secret squirrel walk up missions. I cant believe you were so lucky to get a box.
whistle.gif

Rifle 1, go to a aftermarket extractor. It hold the case and allows the ejector to remove it from the action. The above writer is correct, the bolt cannot move rearward without the case coming out of the chanber. This is a known problem (factory extracotrs are SOFT) and an easy fix.

Second rifle, send the bolt to CPC or exchange it with them and the problem should be solved. Be sure to have him radius the bolt. http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/

Third, go to Rimfire Central and read about all the things that are going on related to Ruger 10/22's http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
When you start mixing and matching parts from different manufacturers, things get interesting.

George

very good advice. when you mix and match you never know what you will get.sure sounds like extractor and firing pin to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Travelor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle 1, go to a aftermarket extractor. It hold the case and allows the ejector to remove it from the action. The above writer is correct, the bolt cannot move rearward without the case coming out of the chanber. This is a known problem (factory extracotrs are SOFT) and an easy fix.

Second rifle, send the bolt to CPC or exchange it with them and the problem should be solved. Be sure to have him radius the bolt. http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/

Third, go to Rimfire Central and read about all the things that are going on related to Ruger 10/22's http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/

When you start mixing and matching parts from different manufacturers, things get interesting.

George </div></div>