• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 scope out of adjustment

3wide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Iowa
I put my new Meuller 8.5-25 on my 10/22 and I'm maxed out of "UP" adjustment and I'm still 2" low and 25 yards. Any suggestions? I have access to a mill so I can mill the top of the scope mount or the bottom of one of the rings to build adjustment it. But before I do that I thought I'd see what others thought or have done. The action and barrel are newly bedded in a new stock, I must be canted alittle. My old scope, simmons atv with 1/4" clicks, got me out to 100 yards no problem. The new Meuller is 1/8" clicks and maxed out.

Re: 10/22 scope out of adjustment

Tactical Solutions 15 minute base

I recently replaced my factory barrel on my 10-22 with an ER Shaw barrel. When I installed the barrel, I also installed a V-Block Barrel Stabilizer from Rimfire Technologies. When I took it back to the range, I had to adjust my scope down as it was hitting high at 50 yards. This might help you.

I would try bottoming the scope adjustment, then raising it about 3-5MOA. Then experiment with shims beneath the very rear end of the base until the bullet impacts at the the best ballpark right height at the right distance; doing all this without altering the elevation adjustment.

Using that shim value, coat the receiver under the base and for some distance around it with rifle bedding release compound, and use regular bedding compound/epoxy to bed the underside of the base to maintain the proper base slope angle.

This technique allows the most practical amount of elevation adjustment to be available from the scope.

We don't completely bottom the scope adjustment out because that tends to cause internal binding that limits or freezes windage adjustment at that bottom part of the elevation range.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would try bottoming the scope adjustment, then raising it about 3-5MOA. Then experiment with shims beneath the very rear end of the base until the bullet impacts at the the best ballpark right height at the right distance; doing all this without altering the elevation adjustment.

Using that shim value, coat the receiver under the base and for some distance around it with rifle bedding release compound, and use regular bedding compound/epoxy to bed the underside of the base to maintain the proper base slope angle.

This technique allows the most practical amount of elevation adjustment to be available from the scope.

We don't completely bottom the scope adjustment out because that tends to cause internal binding that limits or freezes windage adjustment at that bottom part of the elevation range.

Greg </div></div>

This is what I'm going to head to the range now and try. I've got .050" of shim under the rear of the base, by my calculations that should give me a 10" difference in POI at 25 yards. Enough to zero at 25 and easily reach 100 with SV ammo. I've read a few of the threads on barrel drop and agree that's my problem, I may D & T my v-block to try jacking the barrel up, my barrel is locktighted in place so I don't think a little set screw will have enough power to jack the barrel, we'll see. I know this is a can of worms for some but for casual shooting a bandade fix will be sufficient.

I just got back from the range and the shim was enough to correct for the barrel droop. At 25 and 50 yards the scope was adjusted in the bottom 1/3 of the adj range. At 100 was in the middle of the range with plenty more in the bank. The important thing is at the yardage I normally shoot, 50 and 100 yards, the scope is in the middle of the adjustment range. That's a good thing for the price point of the scopes I've got.

The shims are a good diagnostic tool, but should not be relied upon as a long term solution. I would strongly suggest following up with the bedding process.

The Burris Zee rings solution is also an excellent approach.

If my memory serves, they are configured to work with a Weaver style base. My Ruger factory base uses standard rimfire/airgun rings.

Greg