• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 stock options for a .9ish barrel

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I got my tactical soltions barrel in and now i need a stock. I have been looking at the green hogues, but wanted to ask if there was a better solution out there. I hear the rubberized hogues can get real sticky and start smelling like burned rubber.

I saw zacks tactical stock, but Im not really going for an ar trainer with this 10/22.

Re: 10/22 stock options for a .9ish barrel

I enjoy the B&C 3-Way stock. It isn't cheap but it is the best stock out their. You already have the best barrel, why not get the stock too.

B&C 3-Way
SS10X42M
TacSol 16.5 1/2X28
YHM Mite Supperessor

HPIM2631.jpg

A great site for lots of 10/22 builds and opinions is rimfirecentral.com. Guys there are absolutely nutty on these, in all configurations; stock, tactical, bench, anything 10/22.

Hogue at one time made a nylon overmoulded stock, may still be available. Another choice is boyds but have to agree the B&C is much nicer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my tactical soltions barrel in and now i need a stock. I have been looking at the green hogues, but wanted to ask if there was a better solution out there. I hear the rubberized hogues can get real sticky and start smelling like burned rubber.

I saw zacks tactical stock, but Im not really going for an ar trainer with this 10/22. </div></div>
I have a 10/22 with a .920 stainless fluted sitting in a Hogue Overmolded stock. The stock looks cool and I like the "grippiness" of it, but it is sort of "flexy". Still, on a calm day I have shot sub 1/2" groups at 50 yards with plain jane Winchester Super-X High Velocity.

I prefer the McMillan Sporter on my high-end MOA 10/22, the ownership and tweaking of which is an on-going and bittersweet project. I plan to detail everything I've done and had to go through to get to where I finally end-up, but for now I can definitely say that my MOA 10/22 is a sub-MOA rifle with Winchester T22. I've shot some calm day (Wind < = 5 MPH) 100 yard, 10-shot groups under .75", as well as some groups around 2". I also measure <span style="font-style: italic">overall group size</span>, (not CTC).

Heres' a crappy photo I snapped using my Blackberry a few weeks ago. The photo isn't very good, but you get the idea. This was my first time shooting my (threaded) MOA 10/22 with Winchester Super-X T22 .22LR ammo at 200 yards.

This is a 7-shot group that measured less than 2.25" <span style="font-style: italic">edge-to-edge</span>. Only the shots to the left of the brown-looking rectangle are mine, and some of them are "stacked". And actually, I don't believe that one of the marks I counted is mine but since I would rather error on the side of conservatism I counted the mark. If I struck the faint mark at 1 O'Clock of the sharp, bright marks my group would be more like 1.75".

Through no fault of the gun, the other three shots are outside the photo frame. I definitely PULLED all three (3) of them due to my McMillan Sporter's LOP (13.0") being too short for me. One shot was 3" out at 10 O' Clock, the second was 4" out at 11 O' Clock, and the third was about 8" out between 5 and 6 O' Clock. Shot off bench using bipod and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Redtac small bag</span></span>.

For those of you who shoot at ASR, this was the round plate at the west end of the 200 yard berm. The wind picked-up and it started raining a few minutes after I took the photo, so I packed-up and left.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Temperature:</span> 72.2 F
<span style="font-weight: bold">Station Pressure:</span> 28.15
<span style="font-weight: bold">Wind:</span> 5 MPH 1/2 value
<span style="font-weight: bold">Altitude:</span> 1658
<span style="font-weight: bold">Density Altitude:</span> 3074
<span style="font-weight: bold">Humidity:</span> 52.2%

200Yard2257-ShotGroup.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">"MOA 10/22": Threaded MOA 17-4 SS Receiver & Kidd SS Match Barrel, Volquartsen CNC Bolt & CS Spring, PC SS Guide Rod, Kidd Trigger, McMillan Sporter Stock, EGW 20 MOA Picatinny Rail, Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40 A.O. & PRW Rings, U.S.O. Swivel Anti-Cant, Harris BRM-S w/KMW Pod-Loc: </span>
MOA1022EGWBaseRight8x6.jpg

I also like the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Bell & Carlson 10/22 Target / Varmint</span></span> - it is less than half the price of a McMillan Sporter. <span style="font-weight: bold">YAOG</span> here has an older blued Ruger 10/22T mounted in a Bell & Carlson 10/22 Target / Varmint using a pre-production Falcon 5-25X 56mm FFP MIL/MIL, EGW 20 MOA Extended Picatinny Rail, and Seekins Rings. That gun shoots great - not as consistently as my high-dollar custom 10/22, but way better than a 10/22T should shoot with just a stock change. He and I regularly hit 2" pieces of clay pigeon tossed-up on the 200 yard berm.

Keith

thanks so much you guys. I just bit the bullet and got a hogue .920 in od green. I saw a pic of a tac solution barrel in one and it looked so sweet. PLus it will match my tac solutions ruger mark 3 now.

at 60 bucks if i dont like it ill switch later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great site for lots of 10/22 builds and opinions is rimfirecentral.com. Guys there are absolutely nutty on these, in all configurations; stock, tactical, bench, anything 10/22. </div></div>
Agreed, there is a lot of good info there, but as with anywhere don't believe everything you read there (don't drink the adjustable V-Block Kool-Aid)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RLFLLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...<span style="font-weight: bold">You already have the best barrel...</span></div></div>
I wouldn't go so far as saying the Tac Sol barrel is the "best". <span style="font-style: italic">"Best"</span> is a very broad statement...

Keith

Aries64,

True statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't go so far as saying the Tac Sol barrel is the "best". "Best" is a very broad statement... </div></div>Keith

The TacSol is one of the best factory "threaded" barrels.

Most aftermarket 10/22 target barrels conform to a fairly standard .920" muzzle/barrel contour, so most aftermarket target stocks will also pretty much conform to that same standard.

I have and have shot a lot of 10/22 stuff. This stock is still #1 in my book to date. (for heavy bbl).

B&C AJ32
www.shootersdiscount.com
or
Stocky's Stocks

IMG_0313.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have and have shot a lot of 10/22 stuff. This stock is still #1 in my book to date. (for heavy bbl).

B&C AJ32
www.shootersdiscount.com
or
Stocky's Stocks

</div></div>

I agree on the AJ32's. A bud has a Kidd rifle in one. He is about 6'5" and it is one of the few rimfire stocks he likes. The rifle is NOT a light weight and feels like a "real" stock not just a bunch of flimsey plastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RLFLLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You already have the best barrel, why not get the stock too.</div></div>

cough, cough, chuckle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great site for lots of 10/22 builds and opinions is rimfirecentral.com. Guys there are absolutely nutty on these, in all configurations; stock, tactical, bench, anything 10/22. </div></div>

Sled Dog,

You have to be very careful with what you take away from the RFC site. Like the Hide site there is business going on which of course involves money in the form of advertising dollars from vendors. Those ad dollars have way more more pull than easily proven mechanical facts and practical firearms field experience do. People get banned on RFC all the time for simply showing people there is a better way to improve their 10/22's than buying cheap parts to "fix" the original Ruger cheap part's problem. Gunsmithing craftsmanship is outright shunned in favor of selling you an "improved" cheap part to "fix" the QC and weak design problems of the 10/22. The banning people issue is a subtle thing as the poster first gets quietly banned and then the advertiser posts a counter argument in the thread and then the thread gets locked. This makes it appear that the advertiser "won" the argument because there is no more discussion possible from the dissenting poster(s) or anybody else for that matter.

To be honest I've seen some of the same sort of thing here in the past with the fanboys of various popular gunsmiths beating up on some of the non-advertising shops. But for some reason not publicly stated I've seen less of it here on the Hide lately. I'm very happy, no make that HUGELY HAPPY to see this improvement in the Hide management's acceptance of the fact that the world is a bigger place then just the folks who send money to them for ad space. The Hide is truly becoming what it always had the potential to become, the best precision shooting resource on the net.

But this is just my opinion, YMMV.

Cheers/Chip

That Anshutz Silhouette shape looks remarkably similar to the Kimber wood laminate stock on my own 10/22. I learn something new everyday. With scope, things weigh in just a smidge under 10 1/2lb.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Anshutz Silhouette shape looks remarkably similar to the Kimber wood laminate stock on my own 10/22. I learn something new everyday. With scope, things weigh in just a smidge under 10 1/2lb.

Greg </div></div>

Greg,

Have you seen the B&C Anschutz clone? It's even cheap!

I was going to go with the B&C Anschutz myself and save some loot, but it's not offered in LH.

The Target/Varmint model looks pretty sweet, but was not an offering five years ago when I went in for the McMillan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Anshutz Silhouette shape looks remarkably similar to the Kimber wood laminate stock on my own 10/22. I learn something new everyday. With scope, things weigh in just a smidge under 10 1/2lb.

Greg </div></div>

Greg,

Have you seen the B&C Anschutz clone? It's even cheap!

</div></div>

I had one on this one. I set it up for CCI subSonics and a Millett red dot. I ended up selling the stock. You could feel the forearm bend if you pulled the rifle into your shoulder.

It looks good but it damn sho' ain't a McMillan...........

Keith

GM_Millet_CCIsubs5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I had one on this one. I set it up for CCI subSonics and a Millett red dot. I ended up selling the stock. You could feel the forearm bend if you pulled the rifle into your shoulder.

Keith

GM_Millet_CCIsubs5.jpg
</div></div>

Keith,

Were you using a sling?

Avoid rimfiresports<dot>com, they lollygag, then ship you the wrong stuff, then refuse to take it back.

I have a tac solutions barrel in a hogue overmold and like it, more than a few rabbits and squirrels have died due to that setup - and maybe a domestic cat or 2, but if they did, they deserved it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Keith

GM_Millet_CCIsubs5.jpg
</div></div>

Keith,

Were you using a sling?

</div></div>

YAOG,

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. No I was shooting off hand with no sling.

Keith

i just put a b&c anschutz thumbhole on my 10/22 with tactical solutions barrel. the combo works great. fit and finish is perfect out of the box.

Can anyone comment on the Fajen Legacy for an entry level stock? They can be had for around $100 and are fully adjustable. Length of pull, height of comb, butt pad, and butt pad rotates.

thanks,

MontanaMarine.

Looking to build up my 1022 just like your Mcmillan. Do you still have that stock? Whats with the gray camo scheme?

I also like my Anschutz, but I had the one on bottom custom made from a solid block of walnut, there's a guy over on rimfirecentral, think he's here too, that builds them. I actually need to get rid of mine as I don't have the funds to finish the build...

a001b.jpg

MM,

Tell me more about your 10/22. It's always been a favorite of mine. Specifically, I'm wanting to hear about weight/balance and whether or not it's still handi-dandy as I would like to keep mine a walk-around gun.

Care to oblige?

Have I seen the B&C Anschutz clone? I have now. I like it. I really like that wooden custom, but fact is, neither fits my current finances. But I do have a lot of pine lying around...

When I ordered my Tac Sol barrel, also ordered a T-Rex stock. Nice stock with good finish, and my fiance' can shoot it bein she's a lefty shooter and I'm a righty...
IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

hey inkedshooter what model bushnell scope is that on your .22?

I like my B&C AJ32 also, but it took a fair amount of sanding/filing to get everything to fit right.

DSCF9609.jpg

I have a hogue overmold and it works for me. My 10/22 gets thrown around alot while hunting/hiking. Usually have the Benelli in my hands with it on my back. If you are 2 gun hunting a versatile, durable stock that wont chip or scratch is a plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterXP87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hogue overmold and it works for me. My 10/22 gets thrown around alot while hunting/hiking. Usually have the Benelli in my hands with it on my back. If you are 2 gun hunting a versatile, durable stock that wont chip or scratch is a plus. </div></div>
I had an Overmold on my rifle for quite a while until I got my B&C. I really like the Overmold too, it's light and comfortable to hold. It didn't keep me from shooting some impressive groups either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bebberson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey inkedshooter what model bushnell scope is that on your .22?
</div></div>
Bushnell 3200 fixed 10x with mildot reticle.

Hey, I ran across your post with the two 10/22 stocks and I would like to know who made the custom walnut stock?

Thanks for the info,

I like the archangel stock,boyds tacticool(after bedding of course). can't go wrong with b&c either. all my centerfires sleep in one