• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Stock receiver fit issues

WTW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2010
Lees Summit MO
So I have been messing with a 10/22 my dad gave me a while back and noticed that it isn’t as consistent as I would like. One of the guys I work with pointed out that the receiver wobbles a little bit in the stock. The stock is a B&C medalist Anschutz style. How can I get rid of the wobble? One of the guys I shoot with recommended shimming it while another bedding it. The stock has the aluminum bedding block in it already.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: 10/22 Stock receiver fit issues

I have played with bedding the 10/22 rifles, in my experience they prefer to be pillar mounted and bedded at the barrel clamp and a few inches under the barrel. After this is done, I remove any receiver/stock contact points allowing the receiver to float.

Here is a pic of a 10/22 stock I recently bedded which shows the pillar and epoxy bedding.
gun043.jpg

Kirk R

Kirk,

Thanks for the idea. I will have to look at it tonight and see how much contact I am getting by the action screw. The stock has an aluminum block so It may just be an issud of cleaning the other contact points up a bit and giving it a little bedding.

The major design flaw of the 10/22 is the single take down screw which creates a pivot point. I got rid of the wobble by placing a pressure pad about six inches in front of the receiver. I than would torque the screw a few inch/pounds at a time. Each time I would fire 10 rounds until my groups got tight. My rifle prefers 18 inch pounds of pressure on the takedown screw. Check this guys out on this website. They are the pros.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php