• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 takedown suggestions/reviews?

Roadki11

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2013
near Mexico, TX
I've been looking at 10/22s forever. My dad has had one for 35 years or so and it still shoots awesome. So I want to get one for my wife so she can shoot, and she liked the idea of the takedown model. Anybody have one that can tell me their experiences? Are they as accurate as a normal 10/22? I'm assuming you can't upgrade the barrel.

Great gun. Very solid lock-up between barrel and receiver. Repeatable accuracy.

Barrels are proprietary, and aftermarket stocks require some dremel-fu, but almost everything else is standard 10/22.
Iron sights, mags, scope base drill-tap holes, trigger, bolt & handle, etc.

More companies are making aftermarket stocks for it. A folding stock goes really well with the TD. There are even some options for an "integral" suppressor.

I own one. I've shot two. Both were solid performers.
Mine shoots just as well as my non-TD 10/22.

With a folding stock, the longest piece is the barrel/forend, so you could pack it in a briefcase or standard backpack/book-bag.

Put some old-school Alice-pack shoulder straps on the included zipper case, and you've got a surprisingly comfortable range bag for it. Or bug-out kit for a vehicle...

All in all, a lot of capability for the price. Get one. :)

I am looking at one of these as well. Being a 10/22 fan for over 15 years, these seem to be a great variant of a solid package.

Thanks Snake Eyes. Ya, it's for sure on my list to get. My local shop just had a camo one for about $380 and a black one for $350. A little steep from what I've seen. I'll keep looking around for one. Any specific foliding stock reccomended?

$380 for the multi-cam version? Hmmm... I wish they were local for me.

Well, those are "normal" prices. Yes, a bit more than a standard 10/22, but worth it if you want a quality take-down with the accessories pool and reliability of the 10/22.

A good folding stock is a Butler Creek version. Here's one source:
Butler Creek Ruger10/22FoldStoc FS10B - Stocks & Furniture Kits - Ruger 10/22 Accessories - Accessories

Here's a tutorial with pictures:
RugerForum.com ? View topic - I added a side folding stock to my 10/22 Takedown

EDIT: Adding a link to a thread here on the 'Hide by Rangerwalker on the Thompson Machine conversion. Has a couple good videos.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ne-operative-td-take-down-complete-rifle.html

Last edited:
The takedown is a neat concept and drew me in. The rifle's quality and reliabilty compares to every other Ruger. It will last well past the hand-down to your kid. I have a bone though. I put on a nice scope and suddenly the takedown size is beyond acceptable. With the scope mounted, I find that I do not take the gun down. Sooo, I decided to mount a Burris fastfire. Now I have a small compact package again but give up the longer range optic. I put the scope on my Ruger Charger and now I prefer the over the takedown. Darn these problems! Ha, this is great!

Has anyone seen one of these cut down to about a 10" barrel with a suppressor? That's what I've got in mind. The integral would probably be ideal, but I can't see spending that much and only having a suppressor for one rifle.