• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Takedown Upgrade Advice

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
Hello All,

I've got a 10/22 with the Magpul Backpacker stock and red dot mount with MRO on it. The concept is as a "general purpose" .22 (survival, pest control, plinking, etc).

I've been looking into functionality and reliability upgrades and there is a plethora of stuff to choose from.

Thinking about changing the bolt release, the bolt/extractor, and maybe the muzzle device (not sure if MD would make any kind of difference, but the one on there looks goofy to me).

Is Volquartsen good to go? Or should I be looking at others?

What other parts will help make the rifle as reliable as possible with the most ease of function?

Volquartsen and Kidd parts are GTG.

Is the gun UN-reliable now? Hard to say if upgrading will make the gun more reliable...you really just start introducing more variables for things to go wrong. Not that VQ or Kidd parts will cause that to happen, it most likely wont.

Head over to Rimfire Central. There are YEARS of posts dedicated to experience with every iteration of the 10/22. It's like a religion, really. You will hear about green Scotchbrite pads, Hornady One-Shot, radiused bolts, trigger jobs ranging from $15 DIY to $350 Kidd, etc.

Although not as accurate as some of my other rimfires, my 10/22 TD is just so fun and convenient.
Trio.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, the benefit of the TD is the handiness, and squirrel level accuracy. Few seem to be satisfied trying to get significantly better with repeatability due to the barrel mechanism.

With that said, for a walk around gun and the interest of fun and reliable, I like the basic Volquartsen hammer kit, a poly bolt buffer, an extended mag release, and auto bolt release. Extended handle if needed.

After that, for its stated purpose, a can makes way way more sense than a muzzle device and a $300 trigger pack, to me.

Reactions: fanninland
I run Volquartsen parts in my 10/22 and I'm happy with them, they haven't let me down yet. The 10/22 should have a BX trigger with it , which isn't bad out of the package, so it will already have an extended magazine release. I'd caution against the magazine release mechanism that extend under the trigger guard, I've seen a number of shooters accidentally drop magazines due to that.

Function can be enhanced with the auto bolt release, it's a worth while upgrade in my opinion, so you don't have to hit the bolt release button to drop the bolt. The bolt buffer cuts down on the noise compared to when the bolt would slam into the factory metal one. There's also an argument to be made that it increases part longevity too because it reduces metal to metal impact. To enhance reliability you can swap in the extractor and firing pin, especially if you're going to use it across a variety of ammo types.

For your application I wouldn't worry too much about swapping out bolts, bolt handles, or anything, the factory ones work pretty well as is. Otherwise WWAJD, buy more ammo.

Awesome. Thanks for all the replies. 👍

I think I'll start with that Volquartsen bolt tune up kit, and go step by step from there.

I have considered a suppressor, but there is a part of me that screams in protest inside every time I think about "applying" to be able to take possession of something I've already paid for... (it's the principle of the matter, as I'm sure we all understand to some extent) :sneaky:

Oh, and one more thing:

I've read that CCI ammo is ideal. I originally bought a bunch of Remington (it's what was available at the time), but have found it to be less reliable than I'm willing to spend money on (also have read that this is part of the nature of .22LR in general, but that Remington sucks the most... is this the general consensus?). I do have a couple bricks of CCI. Anything else to look out for or stay away from?

I sent a couple of triggers to the fine folks at Brimstone for their Tier 2 trigger work for my TD’s. Not as good as a $300 Kidd trigger but a worthy improvement at about a third of the cost and perfect given my accuracy expectations for a TD. The auto bolt release mod is also included in their trigger package. Take the savings and apply it towards a tax stamp.

If your rockin’ the Magpul backpacker furniture get ya an inexpensive ukulele case off Amazon - wearing iron sights it’s a perfect fit

64D6D971-78AF-424F-B2E0-9C54F5B6A87E.jpeg
819DCEED-F918-40EB-B23A-84AC1919692C.jpeg

That Backpacker stock is pretty cool and I love the ukulele case. I went with the Magpul Hunter X22 stock for my TD. Installed a DIY nylon bolt buffer, there are plenty of how to's on the web. For the trigger I went with a Hornet Custom Black Max upgrade. Just couldn't justify the really expensive options for the purposes I have a 10/22 TD for. The Hornet made a big difference though. It's a fun rifle all around and the takedown feature fits well with your stated purposes. Mine does like CCI ammunition and for my home range I usually feed it Quiet-22 Semi-Auto. No suppressors allowed in my state so the reduced charge of those rounds helps keep the noise down for the neighbors.

For the takedown I'd recommend the Midwest stock and forarm.
It will allow you to mount your optic on the hand guard of your free floating barrel
It's important to mount the optic on the barrel/hand guard for the takedown

Then you can install any type of stock and pistol grip.you wish.

The one I have mounts over the barrel, and free floats it, as well. 👍 It's designed by Magpul to go with the backpacker stock specifically to maintain zero.

12739767.jpg

I sent a couple of triggers to the fine folks at Brimstone for their Tier 2 trigger work for my TD’s. Not as good as a $300 Kidd trigger but a worthy improvement at about a third of the cost and perfect given my accuracy expectations for a TD. The auto bolt release mod is also included in their trigger package. Take the savings and apply it towards a tax stamp.

If your rockin’ the Magpul backpacker furniture get ya an inexpensive ukulele case off Amazon - wearing iron sights it’s a perfect fit

View attachment 7756915View attachment 7756916
Oh, snap! That is slick.
👍

I sent my front half to Thompson Machine for an Operative build. And a bolt buffer to quiet the action noise.

The one I have mounts over the barrel, and free floats it, as well. 👍 It's designed by Magpul to go with the backpacker stock specifically to maintain zero.
So interesting how each mass produced item can have its own idiosyncrasies. My takedown didn't like free floating the barrel at all. Put the little Magpul shim back in and tightened it a bit up against the bottom of the barrel, and my groups tightened right up. It also sports a 3-9x scope on the receiver and I find it holds zero very well after taking it down and backpacking it.

So interesting how each mass produced item can have its own idiosyncrasies. My takedown didn't like free floating the barrel at all. Put the little Magpul shim back in and tightened it a bit up against the bottom of the barrel, and my groups tightened right up. It also sports a 3-9x scope on the receiver and I find it holds zero very well after taking it down and backpacking it.

One of those weird things... like how a rifle manufacturer can guarantee a certain level of accuracy (0.5MOA or whatever), and also say that each barrel is unique and has its own "likes and dislikes."

Volquartzen extractor.
Not saying a Volquartsen extractor is not good, but the only extractor that would eject live rounds from my Volquartsen barrel was the KIDD extractor.

Stunned when the barrel came in with a warning label stating it to “fire” chambered round to unload. States “may not extract lives rounds” or similar. No problem since using KIDD extractor.

Head over to Rimfire Central. There are YEARS of posts dedicated to experience with every iteration of the 10/22. It's like a religion, really. You will hear about green Scotchbrite pads, Hornady One-Shot, radiused bolts, trigger jobs ranging from $15 DIY to $350 Kidd, etc.

Although not as accurate as some of my other rimfires, my 10/22 TD is just so fun and convenient.View attachment 7756261
Really like that cantilever mount.

Can you get the stock to pack down with the rail in place?

Thanks in Advance,

Scrummy

View attachment 7756915View attachment 7756916
Brimstone does a really nice job