• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 threaded receivers and barrels?

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
Sorry for being lazy, but do not want to search all the threads. Who makes threaded receivers and barrels for 10/22 ruger. I have a few $$$ hidden from the wife. Its our anniversary and was going to get her something nice than I remembered, heck it's mine too.

Re: 10/22 threaded receivers and barrels?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">read this.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1123034#Post1123034 </div></div>

Thanks shooter, I knew I had read this thread before but could not remember where. I think I will go with MOA, do not have the guts to spend that much with LL precison, especially when its anniversary gift money.

anytime. here to help.
good luck and happy anniversary

They make the receivers with our without rails but the receivers are not threaded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for being lazy, but do not want to search all the threads. Who makes threaded receivers and barrels for 10/22 ruger. I have a few $$$ hidden from the wife. Its our anniversary and was going to get her something nice than I remembered, heck it's mine too. </div></div>
There is no denying the power of a nice gift or other gesture to gain "points" with the wife or girlfriend - especially for a special occasion such as an anniversary. My advice would be to go ahead and get her the gift and/or do something that she'll really appreciate and enjoy. As a married guy I'm sure you know that it is a lot easier to be happy when <span style="font-style: italic">they are happy</span>.

And as much as I hate spoonfeeding people, especially when they admit that they are too lazy to search for and read the threads I'll help you out here.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Connecticut Precision Chambering</span></span> threads barrels and receivers, as well as accurizing of barrels and factory bolts. Randy (the owner) did some really nice work for me - I sent Randy an <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">MOA Stainless Steel Receiver</span></span> and a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kidd 20" Stainless Steel Match barrel</span></span> and had him thread them together, totally and permanently eliminating the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"barrel droop"</span></span> inherent in the 10/22 design. Randy re-worked my 20" SS Kidd barrel - turning the (breech end) down and threading it 3/4"-16 to mate with the threads in the MOA Receiver, shortening the barrel tenon and cutting a new chamber and extractor slot, and cutting an 11 degree recessed target crown. I wish that I could have retained the Kidd's concave extractor slot, but the straight extractor slot works OK.

You can also send Randy a .940 diameter barrel blank for him to finish. <span style="font-weight: bold">From CPC's web site:</span> <span style="font-style: italic">"Order a .940 (15/16") diameter turned barrel blank, straight contour, no O.D. polish, full length. 1 twist in 16, 16.5, or 17 inches, 5 through 9 grooves."</span>

Here are a few barrel blank suppliers: <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Krieger</span></span>, <a href="http://www.lothar-walther.com/430.php
" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Lothar Walther</span></span></a>, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Lilja</span></span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">Douglas</span>, and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PAC-NOR</span></span>.

Just call Randy at CPC, discuss what you want done, and send him payment. Randy will perform your requested work and send the barreled action to you when ready.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kidd</span></span> will also be introducing new threaded-barrel rifles soon. I spoke to Maripat (Kidd) early this month, and according to MariPat:

(1) The Kidd Receiver will only be offered in aluminum - Kidd does not plan to produce their receivers in CM or SS at all (I asked MariPat about this, and unfortunately it looks set-in-stone for now. I did not debate her on the strength of steel versus aluminum for free-floating barrels as I felt that it would serve no purpose.

(2) The Kidd Receivers will have an integrated rear lug. MariPat said that the rear lug would be where the tang is on most rifles (like on the MOA Receiver). That seems to be the most logical and effective location

(3) The Kidd Receivers will have an integrated flat base (zero cant). I asked MariPat if Kidd was going to offer an integrated canted base, or if the Kidd Receiver would be offered with a standard Ruger top (without the integrated rail but drilled and tapped to accept Ruger or aftermarket Ruger 10/22 bases) and Maripat said "No". I told MariPat that a growing number of 10/22 shooters like to shoot to 200 yards and beyond, and that a canted base option would be a welcome feature or option but she seemed non-receptive to the idea.

(4) Initially, the Kidd Receiver will only be available in a complete rifle - the Receivers will not be sold separately until production ramps-up. These receivers while all have threaded barrels. The projected price of a complete rifle is $1,200.00. Projected timeframe is about 60 days.

(5) After the full rifles are in full production Kidd will also introduce a Kidd Receiver for slip-fit barrels.

(6) Kidd's projected price for the receivers is $650.00. But again, Kidd won't be selling the receivers separately until after the complete rifles have been introduced and are in full production. Once receiver production is ramped-up the receivers will be a "stock" item for Kidd.

(7) The Kidd Bolt will be a design clone of the Ruger bolt, but will be CNC machined instead of cast. The firing pin will be pinned (like Kidd currently does on their tuned bolts, which are factory Ruger bolts anyway).

Keith

CPC x2 (Keith, thanks for saving me the trouble!).

Great work, cheap, dependable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CPC x2 (Keith, thanks for saving me the trouble!).

Great work, cheap, dependable. </div></div>
<span style="font-style: italic">"No problemo".</span>

- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

Keith

Thanks aries for the info, deeply appreciated. And you are right about keeping the wife happy. Heck my own commander was afraid of her, especially when she spoke softly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks aries for the info, deeply appreciated. And you are right about keeping the wife happy. Heck my own commander was afraid of her, especially when she spoke softly. </div></div>
Again, <span style="font-style: italic">"No problemo".</span> Hell hath no fury like a pissed-off woman.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MOA receivers quality can be hit and miss... </div></div>
Yes they can. I have one so I know this all-too-well. On my particular receiver, the front receiver pin holes are perfectly inline. The rears however, are slightly off-axis from one another, requiring me to slightly polish-down the diameter of one of the Kidd Receiver pins which are otherwise a perfect fit. If I build another MOA 10/22 I'm going to buy direct from MOA and have Richard Mertz (MOA owner) check the receiver pin hole alignment before shipping.

Other than that, my only other complaint is that the rear of the receiver wasn't perfectly square, so I "had to" file down the right-rear of the receiver to "square" it.

On a side note, the Ruger receivers are far from perfect themselves, especially the current-production units starting with those dogshit paint jobs instead of anodizing. Trying to keep on-topic I'll stop there.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MOA receivers quality can be hit and miss... </div></div>
Yes they can. I have one so I know this all-too-well. On my particular receiver, the front receiver pin holes are perfectly inline. The rears however, are slightly off-axis from one another, requiring me to slightly polish-down the diameter of one of the Kidd Receiver pins which are otherwise a perfect fit. If I build another MOA 10/22 I'm going to buy direct from MOA and have Richard Mertz (MOA owner) check the receiver pin hole alignment before shipping.

Other than that, my only other complaint is that the rear of the receiver wasn't perfectly square, so I "had to" file down the right-rear of the receiver to "square" it.

On a side note, the Ruger receivers are far from perfect themselves, especially the current-production units starting with those dogshit paint jobs instead of anodizing. Trying to keep on-topic I'll stop there.

Keith </div></div>

Well if that is the case I'm wondering if I should just have my own receiver threaded since its othe old receivers built in the 80's??

Back in the early 90's, I had a custom Ruger 10/22 that had the factory receiver threaded, a .920 barrel threaded into it and the barrel drilled and tapped on the underside so it could be bolted into the McM stock. The thing shot amazingly for about 5000 rds and the receiver threads, being Aluminum, just wore out from the pounding of the bolt running back and forth. I would worry about that even with a conventionally bedded one. Threaded Steel would be the heat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MOA receivers quality can be hit and miss... </div></div>

Keith </div></div>

Well if that is the case I'm wondering if I should just have my own receiver threaded since its othe old receivers built in the 80's?? </div></div>
I think it really depends on what you want to do - do you think that you might want to free-float the barrel? If so, then a receiver with a second lug is really the best option. (Without the rear of the receiver being bolted to the stock the (single) action lug of the 10/22 acts as a fulcrum point and the action tends to tip forward under the weight of the barrel. This is why virtually all stocks made for the 10/22 are designed to support the barrel by the barrel channel, a "pressure pad", or dual "pressure points" at the front and rear of the barrel channel like the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Bell & Carlson Target/Varmint</span></span> stock. Tightening the action screw on the 10/22 snugs the barrel up on the pressure pad/pressure points, preventing the action from "tipping".

If you just want to bed the barrel then a second hold down point really isn't necessary since the action won't be able to tip with the barrel supported by the bedding. Still, securing the action snugly to the stock is a good thing whether you free-float or bed the barrel.

Sure, the MOA Receiver's QC is inconsistent, but like I said I would deal directly with MOA and have them inspect any receiver you buy before it gets shipped to your FFL holder. The MOA is definitely a better solution than pinning the receiver through the stock, which introduces lateral stress to the receiver and stock as well as looking ugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back in the early 90's, I had a custom Ruger 10/22 that had the factory receiver threaded, a .920 barrel threaded into it and the barrel drilled and tapped on the underside so it could be bolted into the McM stock. The thing shot amazingly for about 5000 rds and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">the receiver threads, being Aluminum, just wore out from the pounding of the bolt running back and forth</span>.</span> I would worry about that even with a conventionally bedded one. Threaded Steel would be the heat. </div></div>
That doesn't sound too encouraging as far as threading the cast aluminum Ruger receiver goes, although I've read that people have had it done with no <span style="font-style: italic">reported</span> ill effects.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"MOA 10/22": Threaded MOA 17-4 SS Receiver & Kidd SS Match Barrel, Volquartsen CNC Bolt & CS Spring, PC SS Guide Rod, Kidd Trigger, McMillan Sporter Stock, EGW 20 MOA Picatinny Rail, Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40 A.O. & PRW Rings, U.S.O. Swivel Anti-Cant, Harris BRM-S w/KMW Pod-Loc: </span>
MOA1022EGWBaseRight8x6.jpg

Keith

I apologize for changing the thread slightly. I'm keeping my eyes open for a base model 10/22 Target and I'm curious as to the accuracy and quality in regard to a custom 10/22 in the $600 range. I don't see myself being a National Champ any time soon so is a custom stick worth the extra $$$$? Thanks.

****disregard my last....I found a thread that answers my question.

"Back in the early 90's, I had a custom Ruger 10/22 that had the factory receiver threaded, a .920 barrel threaded into it and the barrel drilled and tapped on the underside so it could be bolted into the McM stock. The thing shot amazingly for about 5000 rds and the receiver threads, being Aluminum, just wore out from the pounding of the bolt running back and forth. I would worry about that even with a conventionally bedded one. Threaded Steel would be the heat."
"
If this is the case than I should reconsider ordering the receivers from Kidd, or Volquartsen or someone else. I would hate for the threads to fail me as well. I have a lot to ponder and wonder. Maybe I'll buy another custom knife now. Thanks guys.

On further reflection, it could have been the quality or lack there of, with the Ruger cast Aluminum receiver. If someone is using a better grade/temper of Aluminum bar for the receiver and getting the barrel properly torqued into it, it might not be a problem.
I tend to wear out .22's with round count, so I am a little cautious on these things.

ALL manufacures can let a off quality product slip out. One question on yours. Do Ruger parts fit without a problem? Having been associated with the firearms business, one problem usually heard is that its the receivers fault(hint lowest price part of the gun). I have two MOA's and both work perfectly. Now when I tried to install a High priced aftermarket trigger group it was not close. It took lots of drilling and grinding to get it to fit the receiver and function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gibar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALL manufacures can let a off quality product slip out. One question on yours. <span style="font-weight: bold">Do Ruger parts fit without a problem? </span> Having been associated with the firearms business, one problem usually heard is that its the receivers fault(hint lowest price part of the gun). I have two MOA's and both work perfectly. Now when I tried to install a High priced aftermarket trigger group it was not close. It took lots of drilling and grinding to get it to fit the receiver and function.</div></div>
No, I tried a Ruger trigger group and had the same problem. As I said before - <span style="font-style: italic">the rear receiver pin holes are slightly off-axis from each other.</span> The offset is easily seen by sliding the receiver pins into position: The front pin will be square with the receiver walls but the rear pin will sit at a cant, out-of-square with the receiver walls and the front pin.

Either trigger group will function fine when using undersize receiver pins, as the slop allows the trigger group to "sit" square so that trigger group is not canted, nor does anything bind. Instead of using the (undersize) Ruger pins I chose to polish-down the O.D. of the Kidd receiver pins (I hate the way the Ruger pins fall out of the damn receiver everytime you remove the action from the stock)!

If the <span style="font-style: italic">"High priced aftermarket trigger group"</span> you had problems with was recently introduced and is CNC-machined I think I know which trigger group you are talking about.

Keith

The trigger group is a Jard. Also had to whittle on the stock due to the dimensions of the part. Sorry about your misfortune with the MOA. I know the manufacturer welll and he will make it right.

Heres' a crappy photo I snapped using my Blackberry today. The photo isn't very good, but you get the idea. This was my first time shooting my (threaded) MOA 10/22 with Winchester Super-X T22 .22LR ammo at 200 yards.

This is a 7-shot group that measured less than 2.25" <span style="font-style: italic">edge-to-edge</span>. Only the shots to the left of the brown-looking rectangle are mine, and some of them are "stacked". Through no fault of the gun, the other three shots are outside the photo frame. I definitely PULLED all three (3) of them due to my McMillan Sporter's LOP (13.0") being too short for me. One shot was 3" out at 10 O' Clock, the second was 4" out at 11 O' Clock, and the third was about 8" out between 5 and 6 O' Clock. Shot off bench using bipod and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Redtac small bag</span></span>.

I have to look into the possibility of installing a spacer system onto the butt, as the pad doesn't contact my shoulder without me contorting a bit. The alternative is to buy another stock. I think I'll be able to avoid the "flyers" once my stock fits me right.

For those of you who shoot at ASR, this was the round plate at the west end of the 200 yard berm. The wind picked-up and it started raining a few minutes after I took the photo, so I packed-up and left.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Temperature:</span> 72.2 F
<span style="font-weight: bold">Station Pressure:</span> 28.15
<span style="font-weight: bold">Wind:</span> 5 MPH 1/2 value
<span style="font-weight: bold">Altitude:</span> 1658
<span style="font-weight: bold">Density Altitude:</span> 3074
<span style="font-weight: bold">Humidity:</span> 52.2%

200Yard2257-ShotGroup.jpg

Keith