• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 upgrade

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Blackhawk, Ca
So I have a ruger stainless 10/22 I received for my 10th birthday from my parents. Its killed 1000’s of cans, squirrels, rabbits, blackbirds, snakes, and anything else a kid could shoot . I thought I was billy the kid with a 3x9 bushy scope and stainless rifle.... fast forward 25 years I’d love to upgrade the rifle for my 3 young girls (2yr and 1yr twins) so I’m in no hurry but I might as well break it in for them.... sooo my question is what should I upgrade and how hard are the upgrades to do for a home gunsmith? I know the barrel has never been cleaned, cause I didn’t know any better and just whipped it down with rem oil and thought that was clean. I’d like an adjustable stock. Swap the trigger and new barrel.... is it worth doing these upgrades or buying a more semi custom 10/22 option? Like a tac solutions? Or other options...

I just upgraded mine with a feddersen barrel, victor titan stock, bx trigger, and it's extremely accurate with lapua center x ammo. I can stack 5 shot groups on top of each other pretty consistently. Of course I can't say that you'll have the same results, but I can speak for mine. Very easy to install the barrel yourself.

I wouldn't hesitate to build off what you have. Be prepared to spend more money than what you originally plan. It's a well documented problem with these.

Attachments

• 20200304_175137.jpg
    20200304_175137.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 55
The upgrades are fairly easy, if you shop around a bit you can finds barrels, stocks, triggers etc to your liking, if you want a website to check out send me a private message and I will give you the info. Good Luck.

The best upgrade you can make to a bone stock Ruger 10/22 is to buy a Kidd Supergrade... By the time you have enough aftermarket parts to equal one, you'll be money ahead just buying the Kidd. Future-proof yourself and spring for the threaded barrel.

The best upgrade you can make to a bone stock Ruger 10/22 is to buy a Kidd Supergrade... By the time you have enough aftermarket parts to equal one, you'll be money ahead just buying the Kidd. Future-proof yourself and spring for the threaded barrel.

just looked at those and damn they are nice!! I might just do that and not worry about doing the work myself. I’m sure they build better than I can assemble.

It's all to easy to get carried away with upgrades (as I have done). started with a standard 10/22 now only the receiver and bolt are standard, however, it is fun. Looking back with hindsight, as mentioned above, I wish I had just bought a custom / semi custom rifle at the start.

I was look hard at buying a tikka t1x and then putting it in a krg bravo since that’s what I have on my 6.5ctr.... buy I have so many great memories with my 10/22. The quick research I’ve done I’m thinking of going with a Kidd super grade barreled action light weight fluted two stage trigger and throw it in a Titan stock. Anybody think of a better semi custom set up?

I'd do what Escape did plus get the trigger tuned up by brimstone. I've got a couple green mountain barrels that shoot as good as the feddersen too. It's not hard to swap barrels. I like the Titan stock a lot but my nephews rifles have wood raptor stocks.

So I have a ruger stainless 10/22 I received for my 10th birthday from my parents. Its killed 1000’s of cans, squirrels, rabbits, blackbirds, snakes, and anything else a kid could shoot . I thought I was billy the kid with a 3x9 bushy scope and stainless rifle.... fast forward 25 years I’d love to upgrade the rifle for my 3 young girls (2yr and 1yr twins) so I’m in no hurry but I might as well break it in for them.... sooo my question is what should I upgrade and how hard are the upgrades to do for a home gunsmith? I know the barrel has never been cleaned, cause I didn’t know any better and just whipped it down with rem oil and thought that was clean. I’d like an adjustable stock. Swap the trigger and new barrel.... is it worth doing these upgrades or buying a more semi custom 10/22 option? Like a tac solutions? Or other options...
GoBears, much good advice already. Another sound option is to send the bbl’d action to Randy at CPC. What comes back will shoot right with the best full customs, at a double throw-down bargain price. Hard numbers: 190+ on the ABRA target in a factory stock off a couple sandbags for a rest, with a 2-1/2 lb trigger. Legal factory class setup. From there, you can go nuts with add-ons as you like. PM me any questions. No affiliation, just Happy customer. Seymour

I have always upgraded the trigger pull with the hammer replacement and let them rip. the only other thing is add a scope if you do not want to do iron sites.