• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 upgrades caused by reading this section...

Kiba

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Central CA
A couple years back I purchased a 10/22 from a friend at work. It was built mostly for silhouette shooting. I mainly shot the rifle from 25-75 yards for steel and for groups at 50 yards and never ventured too much beyond that.

Specs at that time were Force receiver, CT Precision worked bolt & trigger group, Volquartsen barrel, Fajen stock, and a Weaver V16 scope.

10221.jpg

Fast forward about 2 years and the 10/22 was spending a lot of time in the safe. I was bored with the silhouette shooting and 50 yard paper punching sessions. About this time I purchased my EDgun Matador precharged air rifle and was using it to make kills on ground squirrels from 50-130 yards. Ranging and wind reading is critical but it was still very possible to print small groups and make first round hits on critters at 100+ yards with an air rifle. This made me start thinking... if I can make consistent hits on squirrels at 100-130 yards with an air rifle why can't I stretch the 10/22 out to 150+ yards?

That's when I found this section and started reading about other people reaching out there with the .22. Next thing you know the duplex-reticle weaver gets swapped for a Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP so I can crank in elevation and hold for wind.

While the rifle printed tiny groups at 50 yards I decided the rifle wasn't hitting consistently enough at 100-200 yards so I shipped the barrel and receiver back to Randy at CT Precision to have the barrel and receiver threaded to eliminate the V-block.

Then after shooting it some more I decided the Fajen silhoutte stock, while comfy offhand and sitting, isn't all that suited for shooting from prone and it doesn't lend itself well to sitting on a rear bag. So I swapped it for a Boyd's stock. Much better!

Last week I shot several 10 shot groups in the 2.0-3.0" range at 200 yards in changing wind (groups had mostly horizontal spread) and was having a lot of fun doing it. The 10/22 is so picky about consistent hold and follow through (not to mention wind reading) so it's really good practice much like shooting the air rifle. After shooting at 200 I wanted to try hitting some clay pigeons someone had set out on the backstop at 300 yards... and that's when the reality set in the scope was out of elevation travel at 220 yards. I was already using Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts which left 9 mils up and 12.5 mils of down elevation in the scope from a 50Y zero. To get more usable elevation travel out of the rifle & optic would require more drastic action.

Since the Force 10/22 receiver has an integral weaver rail I decided to do the most logical thing... stick the sucker in a milling machine and start making chips.
grin.gif

Here's how it started, the stripped receiver and a Millet gunsmith rail blank...

rail1.jpg

And here's how it ended up. The old integral weaver rail was milled down and the sides faced flush to the integral riser. The top of the receiver was machined for 6x 8-40 weaver head torx screws and 2x .125 light press fit dowel pins. The rail was angle milled (0.85 degrees was the target, it ended up at 0.82 degrees) and was then drilled/reamed/spotfaced/countersunk to fit the pins & screws and match the receiver. The dowel pins positively locate the rail square on the receiver as do the screws (reamed 0.003 clearance holes for the screws in the rail.) The scope was then reinstalled using the 0 offset ring inserts.

rail2.jpg

rail3.jpg

All back together...

rail4.jpg

It's windy and raining today but as soon as the weather clears it's time to zero it back in. With the new 0.82 degree canted rail and the 0-offset ring inserts the scope should have 3.0 mils down and 18.5 mils up travel from a 50Y zero-- so I'll have no problems getting out to 350 yards without having to use the reticle for holdovers.
grin.gif

I would have never even considered trying the long range rimfire thing prior to reading all the posts here and now I have no reservations of sticking a perfectly good aftermarket 10/22 receiver in a mill.
smile.gif

And now here I sit thinking about building up a CZ452, Anschutz, or a Sako Quad so I have a bolt .22 to keep my 10/22 company...

Re: 10/22 upgrades caused by reading this section...

Wow nice rig how much did you pay for ur edgun if you don't mind me asking?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dubetsky13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow nice rig how much did you pay for ur edgun if you don't mind me asking?
</div></div>

Bought it new from Tony (sole US distributor); $1550 was the price when I purchased it. I had to wait about 4 months from sending in a deposit to delivery but this was back around January of 2010. I think they're $1600 or $1650 now but the new R3 version is out (I have a medium length R2.5 in .22.) Unfortunately Ed and Tony are still fighting BS and problems with corrupt customs agents and Ed hasn't shipped any to the US for a while now.

Great air rifle, over the last year I've shot it more than any of my powder burners because I can (and do) use it almost anywhere. I'm still impressed with the balance, fit & finish, compact size, accuracy, power, and consistency of it. From a 210 bar fill it will deliver 68-70 shots within about 7-8fps extreme spread. Ed designed one hell of a rifle.

Here's mine, like the 10/22 it also wears a Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP scope.

matador.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dubetsky13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow nice rig how much did you pay for ur edgun if you don't mind me asking?
</div></div>

Bought it new from Tony (sole US distributor); $1550 was the price when I purchased it. I had to wait about 4 months from sending in a deposit to delivery but this was back around January of 2010. I think they're $1600 or $1650 now but the new R3 version is out (I have a medium length R2.5 in .22.) Unfortunately Ed and Tony are still fighting BS and problems with corrupt customs agents and Ed hasn't shipped any to the US for a while now.

Great air rifle, over the last year I've shot it more than any of my powder burners because I can (and do) use it almost anywhere. I'm still impressed with the balance, fit & finish, compact size, accuracy, power, and consistency of it. From a 210 bar fill it will deliver 68-70 shots within about 7-8fps extreme spread. Ed designed one hell of a rifle.

Here's mine, like the 10/22 it also wears a Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP scope.

matador.jpg
</div></div>

thats sweet. very handy looking too. whats the fps?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats sweet. very handy looking too. whats the fps? </div></div>

One thing I learned with air rifles is don't get caught up by muzzle velocity... muzzle energy is where it's at. Pellets are much more accurate when launched in the upper end of the subsonic range because they don't have to slow down through the transonic range and the instability that occurs with that, so the ideal setup for long range accuracy is a heavier pellet with a better BC launched around 900-950fps.

The Matador is set for about 900 fps with 18.1gr JSB pellets (about 33 ft/lbs energy.) Mine chronys at 905fps average for a single fill (68-70 shots.) It has enough power to one-shot kill a ground squirrel at 135 yards with good shot placement and will punch through my "first revision" 1 inch plywood backstop in the backyard at 42 yards.

It is *really* handy too. I do a lot of pigeon control at a friend's property. I previously had a Airforce Talon SS with 18" barrel tuned by Tony Annuzzi with one of his extended suppressors. It was 48" long and really hard to get in and out of a vehicle quickly when driving around the property doing pigeon control. The Edgun is only 26" long, has more power, more shots per fill, and much more consistent velocity (and accuracy as a result.)

Highly recommended.
grin.gif

Sweet 10/22. It seems to be calling for a camo paint job though. j/k.

I've never seen a Force Production receiver before. As far as receivers go... What do you think about it? Worth the money?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet 10/22. It seems to be calling for a camo paint job though. j/k.

I've never seen a Force Production receiver before. As far as receivers go... What do you think about it? Worth the money? </div></div>

Tan wasn't my first choice either... I wanted a black or OD green stock but when I wanted to change from the Fajen tan was the only thing I could find that was available. Once installed I don't think the tan looks too bad, but I have some OD green and Black Aluma-Hyde 2 if I want to change.

The Force receiver is beefier than a stock piece with added thickness, easily visible when compared to a stock Ruger receiver. It machined very nicely and the aluminum used seems to be of excellent quality (they advertise 6061, and it machined extremely well last night.) If I was building another "all out" 10/22 I'd certainly use another aftermarket receiver.

The rail on my particular Force receiver is about 1/2" higher than I would like it to be hence the Karsten cheekrest. The other problem is if you ever want to install a canted base down the road you'll have to take the hard way as I did. I'm sure the "spine" of the integral rail adds some stiffness to the receiver but then you have limited options down the road when it comes to scope mounting / canting.

The low integral rail on the KIDD receivers is much more appropriate in terms of height but you're limited to the as-machined 0-cant rail they offer. To cant your scope you'll either have to use a 1 piece mount with integral cant (Nightforce Unimount, etc), Burris Signature Zee rings with offset inserts, or a canted riser like Badger offers. Even then most of those options will only provide 20MOA of cant and IMO if you want to really reach out with a .22 40-50MOA of cant is more appropriate provided your scope has ~20 mils of elevation travel and your 10/22 doesn't have any barrel-droop.

While the receiver used on my build is several years old and was a weaver-spec rail with half-round cross slots, Force now offers their new receivers with a picatinny-spec low rail... http://forceproduction.com/products.htm

Actually, now that I'm looking at both the KIDD and Force receivers I notice a striking similarity between them in the rails and logo style & serial number sequences. My hunch is the KIDD and Force receivers are made by the same shop.

KIDD & Force have the rail height right now but IMO they need to start offering canted rails. Then again, straight rails work for probably 90% of .22 shooters out there who rarely venture beyond 50-100 yards.

Ideally for long-distance 10/22 shooters I'd like to see a receiver made with an integral low 40MOA rail and a threaded barrel interface to eliminate any chance of barrel droop. If I was building another 10/22 from scratch today that's exactly what I would want in a receiver... but as of now nobody is making such an animal.

Test fired the rifle today... everything works great.

Per the math I figured the rail needed 0.85 degrees of angle with the 0-offset inserts in the scope rings to leave 19 mils up and 2.5 mils down elevation travel in the scope with a 50Y zero.

After angle milling the rail and indicating it I came up with 0.82 degrees actual angle. Doing the trig, that 0.03 degree error in machining equated to 0.52 mils; I decided that slight error wasn't worth changing the setup of the rail in the vice and possibly messing things up. Even with the slight devation in the angle of the rail the math said the scope would nominally have 3.0 mils down / 18.5 mils of up elevation.

After reinstalling the scope on the rifle with the 0-offset inserts in the rings and rezeroing at 50 yards this afternoon left the scope at 2.9 mils of down and 18.6 mils of up travel in the scope-- within 0.1 mils of what the indicator measurement & math said it would be. Windage zero changed by 0.4 mils from the previous integral rail. With the 50Y elevation zero being only 2.9 mils up from the bottom of the travel the scope now effectively has a zero stop.

Now I need to go shoot the thing at 300-350 yards.
grin.gif

10/22 work can get expensive... that is why I try not to look too much.

Wow, nice work. I had to stay off of rimfire central for the same problem.