• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Volquartson not chambering round

Bunnyblaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southern IL
I searched around and couldn't come up with anything, but here's what I got.

I built this gun up 8 years ago or so. Its a Ruger 10/22 receiver with Volquartson trigger guts, and a Volquartson barrel. For the most part I only shot Remington Subsonics out of it. Occasionally it would get some bulk ammo. Not often.

Here lately I've noticed its having a hard time chambering rounds. I run a patch through it, and it will go another 10-20 rounds or so and jam up again.

It doesn't look crazy dirty. So my only thought is the mags are worn out (standard Ruger mags). Anything else I should be looking at?

Re: 10/22 Volquartson not chambering round

I suspect carbon build up in the forward part of the chamber. Unless your mainspring has taken a set.

Can you see obvious wear on the mag lips? I've never had issues with steel lipped magazines but the plastic lipped mags wore down after 500-600 rounds.

What exactly happens and what do you try to do to fix it? Does the bolt catch the round and only push it forward 60-70%?. What happens if you try to feed a single round at a time (not fed by magazine)? The last question will really help identify whether the magazine is the issue.

I don't see any wear on the mag lips, but spring in the mag makes me wonder about it. Every now and then the spring will jam up inside the mag, leaving the next round below the lips. I'll smack the mag and the spring will pop the round up into position. I just cleaned the mags out recently. My best guess here is I didn't wind the spring enough. I'll have to mess with that tonight when I get home.

When it jams it will throw the round in 60 percent or so, and pushing the bolt forward meets a bit of resistance. It almost feels gritty.

Currently the way I've cleaned the barrel/chamber is by tying a patch to a weighted line (usually with Hoppes, but now I've got some Butch's Bore Shine). Drop the line through the barrel from the receiver end pull through. Thats the way I have always done. Should I do something more abrasive?

thanks for the help.

Based on your "gritty" feeling pushing the round in, I agree with the above post and think you have some buildup in your chamber. I would clean that sumbitch out and also buy a new magazine since there seems to be an issue with the spring.

IMHO, all .22LR chambers will accumulate a lead ring buildup in the very forward end of the chamber over time. Normally this can affect accuracy, but I suppose it could build to the point where chambering is affected, especially when different bullets are used from time to time.

I once had access to a chamber reamer and would use it by hand occasionally to gently chase the lead from the chamber, but that is really overkill.

Shooters Choice Lead Remover Solvent can be used to soak the lead loose, followed by a brush to remove the loosened lead shavings. They can be impressive.

I think we're just dealing with a fairly conventional maintenance scenario.

Greg

Any recommendations on the best way to clean out the chamber? I'm wondering if pulling a patch through isn't really getting the crap off as much as its slicking it up a little.

Bronze brush? Thicker patch?

Just don't want to chance hurting the accuracy. She shoots great. I've thought about trading her off for something different, but I don't want to go down that road until she's working right.

Our posts appear to have crossed.

Cleaned her out last night with some Bore Shine and a bronze brush. Looks clean anyway. Need to get some new mags to try her out. For some reason both of mine are sticking. Pop one round out, and the next hasn't moved up into position. Have to slap it and the spring will push the round up. I've stripped them down, and nothing looks abnormal. Re-tension them and still does it. Not sure if the bullets are hanging up somewhere in there or what. Something is catching.