• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10.5 - 12.5 SBR Barrel Selection

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I am beginning the process of putting together my first SBR. The more I work on this project the more I realize I want this rifle to be just as accurate as my 16" and 18".

I am interested in recommendations for a short barrel that is capable of MOA at 300 yds. Does this barrel exist for mid $200? Sure , could I pick up a Noveske for $100 more, but where is the fun in that? I've thought about a 12.5 AR Performance barrel, but its threaded 5/8x24. And that's annoying.

Rainier Match or Select? DD hammer forged? BCM hammer forged? The mysterious WOA 12.5 (I do like my 18 WOA.)

I would prefer an 11.5, could easily go to 12.5, and might be talked into a 10.5.

If any of you have groups you've shot, or lessons learned shooting short barrels at 300+ yards, I am interested to hear your experience.

Thanks Yall!

I have an LWRC with 10.5 inch barrel. Not really meant for 300 yards, with a red dot sight, 4 MOA dot,
I use it for the close up (fun) stuff.
My observation: there is not much rail space. If you like an aggressive far forward grip, you come up a little short, especially if you still want a flash light to operate ahead of your grip.
So a 12.5 barrel can give you a little more rail space and should give you also a little more velocity.

Before you drop the coin on an SBR and the tax stamp get your hands on an AR pistol with the same length barrel and pistol buffer tube. I shot an AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel last week while using the pistol buffer tube right into my shoulder and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Give it a try before you do the paperwork and decide if it is for you.

My buddy's Saber Defense 11.5" Commando is easily 1 MOA accurate at 300m. I shot a very tight group with it on a steel target with him spotting, using an Eotech and straight 55gr brass-cased ammo.

We were proofing our stage for FinnSniper 2012.

You are basically rolling the dice with rack-grade barrels. I personally would go with WOA, Rainier, or BCM. What load will you be using? Get a 1/7 twist, and try it with some good ammo.

I expect to use quality ammo. And I will probably develop a 69-77 grain load for use beyond 300.

I have an 11.5 pistol right now, Del-Ton 1:9 with an 11" Samson rail. I like the setup, but accuracy seems pretty average.

Bcm standard barrels fit right in the price range. Are the saber tubes available anywhere?

BCM, Daniel Defense, and Noveske are my top picks. Out of the Three Noveske would be the first pick. I too run a 12" barrel "Pistol" setup with a Sig Brace. Works great and functions great too. With the .556 you really do need a longer than 11" to get some good speed out of the little round.

Might want to rethink shooting further than 300yds with a 10" barrel and 77s. The ballistics are going to be terrible. In short barrels like a 10" you will have better luck with the lighter pills.

Hogtooth, what barrel do you have?

Slow, I just plugged some educated guesses into Shooter and it looks like a bullet in the 60 grain area will have the best trajectory. Thoughts, experience? The 55s seem to drop off just as quickly as the 77s.

The DD 11.5 - 12.5 CFH is becoming very attractive. (Bertman's report is encouraging!) Its availabe, seems to shoot from multiple reports, and is well priced. Once the can makes it through bureaucratic purgatory I'll be able to make a fully informed decision.

Keep the performance reports coming!

Noveske Crusader 12.5s are ridiculously accurate. Stainless barrels supposedly contribute to the higher velocities, increasing terminal range on your SBR if that's a factor. Pretty easy to resale as well if it doesn't work.

Slow, I just plugged some educated guesses into Shooter and it looks like a bullet in the 60 grain area will have the best trajectory. Thoughts, experience? The 55s seem to drop off just as quickly as the 77s.

The DD 11.5 - 12.5 CFH is becoming very attractive. (Bertman's report is encouraging!) Its availabe, seems to shoot from multiple reports, and is well priced. Once the can makes it through bureaucratic purgatory I'll be able to make a fully informed decision.

No first hand experience with 60gr. I only load blasting rounds for short barrels, primarily hornafy 55gr FMJs and 50gr vmax. I lose 400ish fps going from 20" to 10" with my 77gr load. Ive never bothered developing a load for the short barrels with long range type bullets. Im sure theres plenty of people who have though.

Mine is nothing fancy. I got a complete 12" upper from palmetto state armory with a Cold Hammer Forged barrel with 1 in 7 twist with a Troy Claymore Muzzle Brake. Hasn't had the chance to do a Chrono yet but so far 100 yard groups have been MOA or better. Test done with a scope but usual has a red dot on it riding in my Jeep. Couple hundred rounds match/surplus/tula steel case ammos through it and functioned 100 ℅.

Last edited:
Here is my 11.5" BCM light weight profile shorty. It likes Hornady 75gr the best so far, but doesn't shoot 60gr vmax worth a damn. Go figure. The 75 bthp's seem to hover between 1 to 1.5 moa before the brace. Still need to wring it out and see what it can do, but I've got other stuff for accuracy. A trigger would help tons. This is just an up close and loud lightweight rig.

Samson/ Rainer Evo 11" w/ stubby vfg
Yhm upper
Spikes BCG
New Fontier poly lower
Turd trigger (soon to change)
Sigtac brace w/ KAK industries extended buffer tube
BCM grip
Magpul flips and sling
28" overall length
6.8 lbs empty