• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 10.5 9mm upper keep subsonic?

Re: 10.5 9mm upper keep subsonic?

Once you go past about 8" they don't gain speed. The difference between MP5 (approx 8.5" iirc) and a HK94 (approx 16" iirc) was about 15fps.

heck there isn't much difference between the 5.5" MP5 K and the full MP5.

I think with a 10.5" upper using commercial 147gr loads you'll start getting intermittent sonic crack. I would chop the barrel back to 6". It should keep your mv below 1100 fps.

Regards,

IUD

My Issue Colt 10.5 9mm, with a can, using issue Win Black Talon, or the newer Ranger 147's was pretty snappy. Outdoors was workable, Indoors you needed plugs or something as it was disappointing loud.

If you're loading your own, try using 158gr bullets for the 357 mag. They're the same diameter and you can load them for the longer barrel to keep them subsonic.

I'm not sure I believe that after 8" the bullets don't make any better velocity. I had a carbine mauser that I built into a 9mm bolt action (I was bored) and it would easily break 2000 fps with a 19" barrel and 124gr bullets.

more powder is better for longer barrels. I only looked at the 147s. I agree with the above I'd chop the barrel to be safe with comerical loads. Not sure I'd go to 6" though. Might as well get yourself a glock 34 and put a stock on it with 33rd mags.

Win 147gr will go supersonic out of my suppressed Glock 17. I normally run my suppressed 9's with Atlanta Arms 147gr JHP. This is the Team Glock load and is used extensively in USPSA Production division. It's subsonic in everything I use and very quiet.