• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft 10-meter radio questions

4dds

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
Several years ago I bought a General Lee radio to run in a semi. I never messed with anything other than “E” band channel 19. It messed up and I no longer drive so I stuck it in the basement. I got it out and sent it to the shop to be fixed the other day and have been looking into the other bands in it. (A-G) I also have a base station that has bands (A-J). Now the questions.
What licenses are needed?
Are these useful for anything other than talking to each other and local.
Any good channels people use regularly.

Not sure when the mobile will be and I’m looking into what antenna to run on the base.

Any help or education would be appreciated.

You'll need a General class amateur radio license to operate below 30-Mhz, or at least a Technician class amateur radio license to operate on very limited slice of the 10-Meter band.

Technically, you aren't supposed to operate a radio that is not type accepted, such as your radio. If caught, you could have your equipment confiscated, and you could be fined.

10-Meter band is dependent on band conditions, i.e. sun spot cycle, time of day, etc. In amateur radio, you use defined frequencies in particular bands, so channel numbers as you refer to are not utilized.

I would say you'd be better served to look at the 2-meter band, which is a good starting point for amateur radio. You can get a quality (Not Made in China Crap) hand held radio for around $150. A good under dash mount (mobile) radio for a little bit more, which can also be used as a desktop radio with the addition of a 12V power supply.

You can get a good car mount antenna for around $50, and can be adapted for home use.

Lots of info at www.arrl.org

Last edited:
Reactions: 4dds
I wish Yaesu had not got rid of the 8900. Mine was stolen with my last truck and I would love to put one in my new truck. That was a great radio.

I started my ham radio hobby with a ranger 2950 and an antron 99 base antenna tuned for 10 meters. I live in the Southern US and made contacts all over, including to the falkland islands, and an airline jet. 10 meters is highly dependent upon the sun spot cycle, and is closed more often than its open.

Get a general class ham license and the skys the limit.

Book has been ordered to start studying for the test. I am going to have to get a new antenna for the base station. The A99 I have has a shattered bottom section. And now I’m looking into these handhelds.

Book has been ordered to start studying for the test. I am going to have to get a new antenna for the base station. The A99 I have has a shattered bottom section. And now I’m looking into these handhelds.
Sounds good. When you take the test, if you pass the technician, they'll automatically let you take the general, then extra if you pass the general. The general requires a bit more studying, and the extra even more so. Go to qrz.com and use their practice exams, they are a great study tool.

Reactions: 4dds