• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$100 Bacon-Maker 30-06 Carbine

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
I got this 742 carbine for $50, magazine was rusted in place, action rusted shut, whole thing covered in rust but bore and chamber were pristine.

I took it all apart and scoured all the rust off, polished the bolt, lugs and the rails, added a recoil buffer and brake and shot it with Alumahyde.

Recoil is about like a .243, but it is real real real loud. Shoots about a 2" group at 100. 40 rounds through it w/o one problem yet.

Shoulders and gets on target pretty quick and natural, I added some weight to butt to improve the balance.

Not bad for about $100

Tons-o-gunstuff024-2.jpg

Re: $100 Bacon-Maker 30-06 Carbine

Well done! I love seeing successful projects like this one. Try using electronic ear protection to mitigate the blast from the break.

Tom

hundred bucks well spent.

Looks like a dandy critter shooster.

C_K

that would be a really nice truck rifle around these parts....

Well done. A great investment of $100

Have you tried work a load for accuracy yet? Could get surprised by changing bullets. Good Job on the overhaul.

Scope is Burris Fullfield ii 3-9x40

Was about $150. I also tried it with a Williams peep on there, was much more fun and I easily destroyed some small squash at 100 yards. Problem with the peep is the high comb on stock makes me have to stuff my face into it to get it lined up.

I think groups would improve with better ammo, I only tried old milsurp FMJ stuff that may even be steel core. When I get time and the dies etc I will work up a load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biteemnbeatem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do I PayPal you the $100 dollars to buy it? LOL. Nice find, good truck gun. </div></div>

For a custom "one off" precision counter-sniper auto-loader like this, you'll have to dig a little deeper than $100.

nice rehab project . that would make a great knock around rifle . If you put a counter sniper scope on it the value should increase ten fold especially if you get the counter sniper scope with 2 reticles and all the top secret dials.

Sounds good initially, but 742's batter the bolt and mushroom things out until it's a club. I got mine running again but it took pulling the bolt out and dremelling the lugs to get it back to par. Good luck.

Nice job for $100 man, sounds like it was a nice little side project that yielded some good results for ya