• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $100 budget

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
My uncle needs a new scope for his .308 hunting rig. The previous simmons POS broke, imagine that? He dont want to spend over $100 no matter how much I try to convince him that a higher end scope will hold up better, you al know people like this. I figured I could find something decent either used or on sale somewhere. 3-9x40 is fine, thats gonna be stretching it for the money anyway. Any ideas?

Re: $100 budget

Get an ebay 99$ special...Doesn't matter which one at that level
laugh.gif

I was thinking maybe a Sightron S1 or Nikon prostaff or such if I could find one on clearance or used. I just haven't had any experience with some of the better cheap scopes, if there is such a thing.

I have never been satisfied with a $100 rifle scope.

Since he cares so little about them (indicated by the budget he set) tell him to go to wally world and grab whatever is on the rack. I picked up a Center Point for my .22 that seems to get good reviews from the cheapo-optics crowd.

Tell your uncle that he should spend no less than $300. By the time the other 3 $100 scopes break it will be the same cost. Get a super sniper and be done with it.

Get a Simmons ATEC from Ebay for under $100

+1 on the AETEC

They're actually pretty decent scopes. If that can't be found go with a used Nikon Pro-staff. The optics are not super clear but are decent and they are damn near bullet proof. I had one on an old Ruger M-77 V that stayed submerged for 4hrs once when my truck was stuck in a bar pit. It didn't hurt it at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kilbux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the AETEC

They're actually pretty decent scopes. If that can't be found go with a used Nikon Pro-staff. The optics are not super clear but are decent and they are damn near bullet proof. I had one on an old Ruger M-77 V that stayed submerged for 4hrs once when my truck was stuck in a bar pit. It didn't hurt it at all. </div></div>

Now that sounds like a great story Kilbux

I am more concerned with the reliability of the scope than the clarity. I know you can't get much for $100, including the sight-in, I bet he doesn't shoot 15 shots a year. He normally sights it in by leaning across a 4-wheeler seat or proping on a tree limb at 100yds, and if 1 shot hits close to the mark then its set. His idea of precision is minute of a deer at 100yds. I do my best to change his mind, but I have failed so far. I even provide ammo for him to shoot and he still wont!

shankster, lol yeah it is a decent story. Basically dont believe anyone went through a mud hole unless you witness it yourself. And never take someones word on the severety/depth of the mud. lol It was a good time tho. Just wound up costing me a Browning Challenger 3 pistol and a 4L-60E tranny. Life lessons don't come cheap!

Badshooter, go with a used nikon man. in my view the pro-staff's are the best entry level scope out there.

Get a bushnell trophy a 3-9 can be had for $90.Not for me but they do pretty well I know several people have used them for years on up to 7mm rem mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a bushnell trophy a 3-9 can be had for $90.Not for me but they do pretty well I know several people have used them for years on up to 7mm rem mags.</div></div>

+1 for the Bushnell scopes. I have a 3-9x40 Legend on my 1903 and it's been awesome for the $$. I have seen them for as low as $139 shipped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This? </div></div>

Father in law has that same scope on his Savage .308. Not worth a $20 spot in my book. Get him a Simmons AETEC. I have one a 2.8-10x44 on my 7mm mag for deer hunting, and since money was tight I put a 4-14x44SF on my .223. Might not be 'the best' optics, but they're working for me so far.

I am a cheapskate.
When I build a rifle to give away, I put an old used Leupold 4X on it.

If they don't like it, they can upgrade on their own nickel.

I usually pay $100 ~ $125 for them at gun shows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a bushnell trophy a 3-9 can be had for $90.Not for me but they do pretty well I know several people have used them for years on up to 7mm rem mags. </div></div>

Especially the ones made in Japan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never been satisfied with a $100 rifle scope.

Since he cares so little about them (indicated by the budget he set) tell him to go to wally world and grab whatever is on the rack. I picked up a Center Point for my .22 that seems to get good reviews from the cheapo-optics crowd. </div></div>

+1, the CenterPointe 4-16x mil-dot scope with target turrets is great...I've shot vary easily out to 350 yards with my Savage in .223 using it. You can get it for about <span style="font-weight: bold">$70</span>

I bought a new bushnell banner on sale for 105.00. It's the 6-24 model with a milldot.

The sight picture sucks!! But for the money i cant complain i guess. I've deffinatly got what i paid for out of it!

You might try Egay. Just type in your dollar amount and see what pops up?

Weaver K4 or K6, they are a very clear scope, and will cost just over $100. They are a great scope, I use a couple on shotguns up here, and have never had an issue. Snow, rain, ice, you name it, they preform. A fixed power in that price range is the only one that I would trust, at least there is nothing really to screw up once you get your zero.

A friend has a cheap Tasco 3x9 mil-dot on his 338 win mag. He reloads, and so far I have personally witnessed over 250 full power hunting type rounds go down range. The scope can still hammer the 600 yard gong every time. With his good loads that is. I know some of you hate tasco, but I have SEEN this
smile.gif

Oh, and the simmons aetech scope is pretty decent too, I had one on a 30-06 a couple years ago (got it in trade). That old 06 had several hundred reloads down the tube before I traded it to a friend.

Good shooting,
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver K4 or K6, they are a very clear scope, and will cost just over $100. They are a great scope, I use a couple on shotguns up here, and have never had an issue. Snow, rain, ice, you name it, they preform. A fixed power in that price range is the only one that I would trust, at least there is nothing really to screw up once you get your zero. </div></div>

This!
I have a couple of scopes I found in pawn shops- a Bushnell and an older Redfield. Both are fixed power and pretty clear, bright scopes. They are good hunting scopes. Check around for a used one.

Jim

I would go with a lessar expensive fixed 2X-4X power.
Hes using it for hunting correct?
I also think open sights is the cheapest/best way for the money.The only downside is at dusk.I need some nite sights or something.

I know a few people that havn't had any problems with a cheaper scopes(forthe most part). As long as your just sighting it in for hunting "Minute of deer" at close ranges and not cranking knobs probably they would work for the most part.In the past I havn'thad any issues myself with the cheap scopes because I never used them enough for one,,And I never adjusted them for back and forth for LR elevation/windage changes either.

I can't picture cheap optics holding up in this area
smile.gif

I believe you mostly get what you pay for so For anything closer range hunting I would think a fixed 2x-4X would give him the most bang for the buck and be best for hunting deer(at least were I live anyways).

You could get a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 for about $200.00, a Bushnell Elite 3200 for the same from Natchez.
I looked at Cabela's website and noticed that their house brand is in the price range you are looking for. I don't know who makes their house brand scopes, "Pine Ridge", but I bet they are better than a Leapers or BSA.

Jim

I have a buddy just like this he just won a Winchester mod 70 .30-06 in a raffle and is so cheap he put a $99.00 bushnell scope he found on sale when we were at BassPro Shop.

I use a Simmons 4x on a 17 hmr. This is very cheap scope, but is pretty reliable and holds its zero. Just don't plan on dropping it.

You can buy the Center Point 4-16X40 at your local WalMart. I use them on my .22's & one of them has spent a little time on my AR15 & Tikka .223. If you don't like it, or it comes apart, just take the scope back to Wallworld for a full refund.

i have a bushnell banner dusk till dawn on my 7mm stw, i believe it goes up to 4 to 18x 50mm power. i have used it since i was 16 and never had a problem never lost zero. took the recoil fine. killed many a deer and antelope out to 500 yrds with it. i believe i payed just over 100 for it. maybe closer to 150 i know its just over what he wants to pay, not sure if they make that specific model anymore. they have a bushnell banner 4x16 by 40mm on optics planet for 112, it also has an illuminated reticle.

Pentax 4-12x42 ...the lowest price fully multi coated optics available...period.

check gr8fuldoug at www.cameralandny.com (site sponsor)

I have a fixed 6x and a 4-12x42....they work very well.

I have a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 that I took off my 308. It has some heavy ring marks and the power ring feels like it has some grit or a rough spot in it. I was thinking of sending it in for repair, but I don't think it is hurting anything. My uncle agreed to $200 cash if I want to sell it. Do you think that is fair?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kansas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can buy the Center Point 4-16X40 at your local WalMart. I use them on my .22's & one of them has spent a little time on my AR15 & Tikka .223. If you don't like it, or it comes apart, just take the scope back to Wallworld for a full refund. </div></div>

Yeah that's what I was going to say, It has held up on my 308 pof so far 500 rnds

I run a simmons 3x9-32 on my 308 brush hunting rig. It has worked flawlessly for 10 years...maybe 400rds. I've shot many deer with it from 50 to 500 yds (only 1 at 500) and it has hit where I point it every time. It is nowhere near as nice as my nightforce That sits on my heavy barreled 308 or my Luppey mark 4 on my 300WM but it gets the job done. Simmons scopes used to be lifetime warranty, not sure if they still are or not.