• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

&1000.00 on $500.00 gun????????

hank dangle

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
kantucky
how many of you have put a thousand dollar scope on a five hundred dollar gun, the scope I have is a leupold vx III 4.5-14x50mm lr, give me some examples, the gun I'm getting is the remington sps .308 20" barrel...........

Re: &1000.00 on $500.00 gun????????

I have done it many times and to even greater extremes. Currently have an $800 260 with a $2k USO 3-17. No substitute for good glass.

I've got a $2k USO on a $1k rifle. The sighting system is the most important part of the gun. Without it, you can't hit anything. Besides, good glass is an investment that will last a lifetime, and can outlast several rifles.

Marc

I paid $389 out the door for my Savage FP10 years ago. It has a Leupold MKIV on top of it that cost me $950. All said and done, that rifle has about $2k into it right now.

I also have a SPS Tactical .308 that I paid $525 for, it will have a $1400 USO on it whenever it arrives. That rifle has about $2500 into it all said and done.

The only rifle I have that cost more than the glass that's sitting on it is my Barrett 99. But even an S&B doesn't cost as much as that!

NF on my 10FP....
laugh.gif

You can change parts on a rifle. You can't really do that to a scope.

I got a NF on a Rem Police Special, thats $750, glass is the most imp part

I WISH my rifles only cost $500 and my scopes only $1000
smile.gif

If I take my 3 main rifles to the range the value of my truck doubles. 3/4 of that is glass.

You can have a rifle rebuilt to upgrade it.
You have to sell your scope to upgrade it

Cheers,

Doc

When people interested in buying rifles ask me for my opinion, I tell them to save up and buy a good scope first, and that it should at least be as expensive as the rifle if not more. Quality glass is more important, if you can't see your target you can't hit it. The rifle can be made to work better, but the scope is what it is.

People have a warped view of a complete shooting system. Most think that a scope is an accessory to a rifle, when in reality, it should be the other way around.

$2600 USO on a $400 savage, granted I've upgraded the stock and barrel but you get the idea. However if you were to add in the cost of the McM stock, Hart Barrel, BO rings and base, and the harris bipod with the pod claws then the cost of the rifle is more like $2300 give or take.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I WISH my rifles only cost $500 and my scopes only $1000
smile.gif
</div></div>

Big money grip don't run no junks...
grin.gif

CZ452-Leupold 16XMK4
but,
My SPR and boltgun are about even up rifle:scope
My silhouette rifles have way more in rifle than scope (because they have Weaver T24's for reliable low weight glass).

Been there, done that.

Remington 700 LTR ~$800 (at the time)
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 +1400

Incredible shooter which is of course the reason I sold it and moved on to something else ...

mad.gif

Everybody's gonna thrash me.Such a rebel.

$750 Horus 8-26x50 on 6x47L that cost more than twice as much.
Same scope on 30cal that was 4 times the price.
Nudder 4-16 Horus on AR that's worth three times more.
Nightforce on 375ct that cost more than twice.

I might have to try and break the trend and get a 5-25 Premier so I can fit in.LOL,Such a great scope.

Happy with them all!No problems

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Incredible shooter which is of course the reason I sold it and moved on to something else ...

mad.gif

</div></div>

You have to have experienced the same to really appreciate how funny that is!!

This thread depresses me haha. I dont have and USO or S&B.

Lupy M4 on a SPS tact
Sightron SIII on a SPS tact
Nikon, for now on a 700P

My current 1000yd F Class rifle is a standard Savage 10FP action with a $300 L-W Stainless .260 Rem barrel, a $700 McMillan A3 Stock with factory pillar bedding and all the proper adjustable cheekrest and LOP bells and whistles, a Ken Farrel 20MOA base, Burris Signature Zee rings, and an $80 Tasco 6-24x42 Varmint/Target MilDot scope. The scope has been occasionally replaced with far more pricey optics, and the performance has never wavered, totally independent of the comparative value of the optics.

It's not about what things cost; it's about what's adequate to the task. The rifle performs far better than I can. When my scores are down, it's about me and the wind. The gear has always done it's part, and my scores mirror those of the competition, adjusted to properly reflect varying conditions and my own feeble abilities.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

mad.gif

</div></div>

You have to have experienced the same to really appreciate how funny that is!!

</div></div>

for a while there.....being a great shooter was the kiss of death for residents in my safe.........its a habit I just broke.....oh the horror
crazy.gif

Keep in mind some guys go the other way. Like a $4000 rifle and a $300 scope.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My current 1000yd F Class rifle is a standard Savage 10FP action with a $300 L-W Stainless .260 Rem barrel, a $700 McMillan A3 Stock with factory pillar bedding and all the proper adjustable cheekrest and LOP bells and whistles, a Ken Farrel 20MOA base, Burris Signature Zee rings, and an $80 Tasco 6-24x42 Varmint/Target MilDot scope. The scope has been occasionally replaced with far more pricey optics, and the performance has never wavered, totally independent of the comparative value of the optics.

It's not about what things cost; it's about what's adequate to the task. The rifle performs far better than I can. When my scores are down, it's about me and the wind. The gear has always done it's part, and my scores mirror those of the competition, adjusted to properly reflect varying conditions and my own feeble abilities.

Greg </div></div>

Very true. My 6mm Rem. 700 when I first saw it had a Leopold scope on it. Scope $300, rifle 500. I wasn't about to pay 300 bucks for a USED scope no matter who's name was on it. They sold the scope to someone else, and then I bought the rifle. It has a 100 dollar Simmons on it. Works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I WISH my rifles only cost $500 and my scopes only $1000
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1

I put a $1500 NF on my new rifle, thats a little less than 1/3 the cost.

But, put that nice ass glass on that rifle, then, when you get it rebarreled, and restocked, etc., you will be glad you did.

I have always had to settle for middle of the road glass 5-600ish and i have always been happy. There was a fella at our last varmint shoot that had a March scope and it wasnt working properly as far as the windage goes. I whooped his but with my 350 dollar weaver. HA!!! I love it!!
In all reality, if i could afford a US optic, I would have one!! Lee

To get at a guy I hunt with who puts a wally world scope on his highend Weatherby I showed up to camp with one of my Meoptas on top of a $59 Swedish Mauser in 6.5 x 55, all I did was turn down the bolt handle and D&T the receiver. The weatherby guy laughed and said I was going to be out of luck with such a cheap gun.

Second day of season I shot a 10 point buck going through a swamp still in legal shooting hours about 10 minutes after the weatherby left his stand because he could no longer see anything through his scope due to the low light. I knew the swede could really shoot so I was not worried at all, it was not pretty but a very effective combination.

The next season the other guy showed up with a S&B and learned his lesson.

Can't hit what you can't see. Good glass is worth it.