• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000-2000 yard scope

ncsbjumper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2012
eastern washington
looking for a scope for a 338 snipetac. what are you guys using for glass on the 1000-2000 yard rifles. and would you go with ffp or sfp.
thanks

Re: 1000-2000 yard scope

NF or US optic 17 or 22 power tops. Mil or moa, whichever you like best. Both make a relatively fine reticle.

As far as FFP or SFP, if you shoot within what the scope has travel for, FFP is the way to go. If shooting beyond what the scope has travel for, then SFP will help you reach out farther. You do have to learn the size adjustments to give it any worth, however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swfa super sniper 5-20. 10 mils per turn, 15 mils in crosshair, >30 mils elevation travel, FFP. Priced < $1600</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a 40 moa base and have 27 mils of up with my PH 5-25.</div></div>

How far do you typically go out to and the farthest. Also, what do you use to get there.

Reason I ask is I had a NF 12-42x56 NXS that I used to shoot to one mile on a 7mm-08. A poor choice of scopes is the best way to say that. Entirely for travel purposes. The glass is very good at low power, but at extreme high power it was like an eclipse or overcast. I now use my USO ST-10. The glass is great for clarity but small. That's Why I recommend 17-22X tops. But, 24-25x tops works good on clear days. You've always got the opportunity to turn it down when conditions go bad. And with the glass you guys mention I know you have no problem seeing at lower powers.

I had a .338 snipetac, I had a NF 8x32x56 NP-2DD on it. 40 moa base. Not a good choice, not the power so to speak, just the limited adjustment with a 30mm tube, I had to have a 600 yard zero, which was no biggie to me because I didn't plan on shooting the gun under 600.
As for magnification it would depend on what size target you're shooting at. A 6" plate at 2000 would be hard to see in a scope under 20 power.
At 2k, your biggest enemy is mirage, unless your shooting early in the am, or right before dark.
If you feel you can afford to shoot the snipetac, buying a quality 34mm tube would be a must, IMO, don't scimp.
One thing about power, you can always crank it down, mine was usually set on 25, except early mornings, when I could crank it up.
As for FFP-SFP, if you are planning shooting holdovers, FFP is the way to go, if dialing like I did, SFP works fine, and has for years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As for magnification it would depend on what size target you're shooting at. A 6" plate at 2000 would be hard to see in a scope under 20 power.</div></div>

Who shoots 6" plates at 2000 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who shoots 6" plates at 2000 yards? </div></div>
Not me that's for sure, just saying you have to be able to see your target if you're going to hit it.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who shoots 6" plates at 2000 yards? </div></div>
Not me that's for sure, just saying you have to be able to see your target if you're going to hit it.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Gotcha. I was going to have to ask you how many times you have hit a 6" target @ 2000 yards and how many tries it took you.

I launched over 300 rds at a full size IPSC at 2073, I can count the number of hits on one hand.

I have a NF 5.5-22x56 on my 338 edge. MLR reticle. Mil knob. It's about perfect for 2000 yards and in. Good glass, good power, good tracking, good elevetion,

That would be my recommendation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a NF 5.5-22x56 on my 338 edge. MLR reticle. Mil knob. It's about perfect for 2000 yards and in. Good glass, good power, good tracking, good elevetion,

That would be my recommendation. </div></div>

Is that a 2FP scope?

I have one of the Unertl 100mm Team Scopes. For me it is really good glass. In a side by side comparison with a Nightforce (new) Competition Scope both set at 32 power the New NF had slightly better glass in my opinion. While the new scope is 15-55 power I feel that at the 15-20 power setting for long range shooting it will be one of the best pieces of glass for extreme range shooting.
I hasn't been out long enough so this opinion is just based on the quality/clarity of the scope.

After doing some research and ASKING guys who have used this optic next to a few other higher end optics, I found the Vortex RAZOR was the way to go for price... with zero stop, FFP (ebr-2b), and a 35mm tube, I've taken this optic on my 338 Norma, to 2050yds with success... although I was not shooting @ a 6" plate, mine was a larger 20" plate.

I agree with skinney, i am going to get a vortex razor to put on my barrett i really wanted a schmidt and bender PII but half the price only difference is 56mm objective i got too touch and look through and play with a razor 3 weeks ago and feel in love!

The razors are nice and I was in the EXACT same boat. I was at the Schmidt and Bender booth and I felt a bit insulted. I was asking them about their scopes that are made in Hungary and the booth worker went on about that the quality of the Hungarian scopes from Hungary and goes on and on and on about it.

He goes on about the the others also.

It felt kinda like a pissing match for about the 30 seconds he went on about stuff.

I think the quality is excellent on the Razor series and I would still buy a SB after looking through one. The quality is just spectacular also.

SWFA 5-20 for the price you can not beat it. I really enjoy mine and it shoots great for me. My gun its on is only good for a little over 1000yds but the scope is not holding me back at all.

Another one for the SWFA 5-20. Only used it out to 1k so far on my AR. Kept it on 12x because of the mirage in July and was able to see and hit the target just fine. But if you can afford to shoot 338 than you should get the S&B!
smile.gif

5x25 USO works great for me.

Kahles 6-24 on my 284 Winchester. I don't usually magnify past 16x.

This setup is great to a mile. I do however need to use approx. 4-5 mils
of elevation in the reticle to get that far.

22.6 mils of total elevation to 1760 yds.

Surgeon 1086 LA w/ 20 moa integral rail.

I have had decent luck with the Bushnell HDMR on my .338 out to a mile, plenty of elevation to go beyond that plus what is left on the reticle. For the money it is not a bad option, but my go to rifle wears a 5-25x Premier which I normally use at around 18x for the reasons Nicholas stated above.

Each persons eye will prefer something different. I tried the Razor's, Schmidt's, NF's, and preferred the Premier for both glass and features...

If I had $3500 on a scope to spend right now, it would be on another Premier...