• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1000 6.5 CM rifle

jig-n-pop

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2022
NC
Guys have been great helping figure out a caliber that will work for me in the Recoil Comparison thread I started. To recap I'm new to rifles, have a bad shoulder and joined a club with a 450yd range. I need a 99% range gun 1% hunting rifle and have settled on 6.5 creedmoor.

For a rifle, I said I'm thinking either Bergara HMR or Savage Axis II Precision. Savage was shot down pretty quick, Bergara is OK but Tikka is the way to go. That said, I'm limiting my budget to $1k so Tikka is out.

So, is Bergara HMR best I can do for $1k? Other option I found would be to get a Howa heavy barreled action and an MDT Oryx chassis from Brownells.

Would appreciate opinions and other suggestions.

Reactions: 338dude
Guys have been great helping figure out a caliber that will work for me in the Recoil Comparison thread I started. To recap I'm new to rifles, have a bad shoulder and joined a club with a 450yd range. I need a 99% range gun 1% hunting rifle and have settled on 6.5 creedmoor.

For a rifle, I said I'm thinking either Bergara HMR or Savage Axis II Precision. Savage was shot down pretty quick, Bergara is OK but Tikka is the way to go. That said, I'm limiting my budget to $1k so Tikka is out.

So, is Bergara HMR best I can do for $1k? Other option I found would be to get a Howa heavy barreled action and an MDT Oryx chassis from Brownells.

You should be able to find a tikka ctr for $1000 or less new.
I’ve seen them sell on here for 800.
The bergara is very nice, the stock is nice also, but I prefer the tikka action, trigger and bolt throw.

To me, you can spend a tad more and get a tikka in a krg bravo compared to what you’ll spend on a upper end trigger for the bergara

Last edited:
You should be able to find a tikka ctr for $1000 or less new.
I’ve seen them sell on here for 800.
The bergara is very nice, the stock is nice also, but I prefer the tikka action, trigger and bolt throw.

To me, you can spend a tad more and get a tikka in a keg bravo compared to what you’ll spend on a upper end trigger for the bergara
I have some dumb newb questions:

How important is the adjustable stuff on the HMR stock?

Since it's 99% range gun, what's minimum barrel thickness so I can shoot more than. 3 rounds before it heats up and groups start to widen?

You can get CTR's for under a grand. Blued models can be had for $900 and SS for $1000 if you shop around. I'd spend the money for the SS because those barrels are way faster than there CM barrels and you get the corrosion resistance. Other than that the Bergara.

A Bergara HMR will make a better range gun since its quite a bit heavier, but both would be soft shooting with a brake. Bergara will be heavier to carry for hunting use so it just boils down to what your priority is. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I know you said the Savage Axis is out. Have you considered the Savage 110 Tactical? Nice features like accu(stock, fit, trigger), threaded barrel, AICS mags. Mine is very accurate. Usually good rebates /sales this time of year. I picked one up for $550 last year during Christmas sale at Cabelas.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I know you said the Savage Axis is out. Have you considered the Savage 110 Tactical? Nice features like accu(stock, fit, trigger), threaded barrel, AICS mags. Mine is very accurate. Usually good rebates /sales this time of year. I picked one up for $550 last year during Christmas sale at Cabelas.
Thanks. I haven't ruled anything out. The responses I got towards Axis Precision weren't very good. I'll check out the 110.

Just kick the extra $100 in and snag a ctr is blue or stainless for $1100 from whatever retailer you choose. Savages will shoot but hate the way they feel.

Reactions: Hickswr
Majority vote is Tikka CTR in my price range, so I spent time last night researching and comparing to what I know of the HMR. Please let me know if I've got this right:

Both are very accurate out of the box. The actions are smooth and both have a lot of after market support. The Bergara is 9.6lbs, the SS 20 inch CTR is 8lbs and
24 inch is 8.5lbs.

The Tikka has both blued or SS barrels in either 20 or 24inch for 6.5 CM. The HMR has a 22inch cerakote barrel. There are prefit barrel options for DIY on the Tikka but the Bergara requires a gunsmith to rebarrel.

The HMR uses standard AICS magazines. Tikka are proprietary and 2x the cost of AICS.

The HMR has an aluminum chassis embedded into a polymer stock with adjustable length and cheek height. The barrel is 100% free float. The CTR stock is all polymer with no adjustments for length or cheek height. You can replace grips. Most take a Dremel to the CTR stock to free float the barrel or replace the stock altogether.

The HMR trigger is good but a lot will replace with aftermarket option. Tikka trigger is better out of the box.

So, is it the prefit barrel options and trigger why folks recommend the Tikka over the Bergara?

223 would be cheaper to feed for sure.

What's the PX?
The “for sale” section here

You can buy you just can’t sell without being a supporter

Just do your homework before you buy to prevent getting scammed

Reactions: jig-n-pop
The Tikka you can replace the spring for $10 and bring the pull down a bit

Also I haven’t used ctr mags yet. My ctr is on its way currently. But I do us both AICS and AI mags (the ones the AW/AT/AX rifles use). Double stack and can be loaded in the gun. Much smoother mags and hold 10 rounds in about the same real estate as the AICS 10 rounders

I believe the ctr mags are similar to what the Sako trg uses but don’t quote me on that

i'd get a 223 for your use

but for a 6.5CM a tikka ctr is the way to go

don't forget about the PX. sometimes you can find some killer deals
+1 on the .223. CTR its a no-brainer if you can find one. the only downside is limited availability. The 6.5cm is widely available.

Thanks guys.

Any feedback on my comparison and conclusions why folks prefer Tikka CTR vs Bergara HMR?

my choice would be a savage stealth evolution... hands down...unless your looking for a hunting rifle... then I would go with a tika t3x lite..

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
The Tikka is the preference here because everyone eventually tinkers with the gun.

A $10 spring makes the stock trigger very nice. Pre-Fit barrels are available. The action out of the box is smooth. 70* bolt lift versus 90*.

What’s the street price on a Ruger RPR? I’m pretty sure mine was right around $1100 several years ago.

Reactions: CNC-Dude
You will not be disappointed with a Tikka ... And the CTR fits your description perfectly

Get the $10 trigger spring when you buy the rifle.

Then get the KRG bravo after you have saved a bit more ... The KRG is not a necessity -- It just makes it a bit nicer

I vote the bergara. Or even the the 110. The only reason being is partly an answer to one of your questions. The ability to adjust the stock imo is very important, getting the rifle to fit you is imperative and will possibly keep you from having bad form right out of the gate and developing bad habits. All 3 will out shoot you as a new shooter and work just great, the ability to fit you is more important for you now. While the ctr is a fantastic choice I think as a new shooter not looking to be working on the rifle and just wanting to shoot don’t worry about all the things you can or can’t do to the rifle. Buy the time you need a 6.5 barrel you’ll either barely be shooting it anymore or you’ll be so hooked you’ll be graduating onto something better then all 3 of those and it won’t matter. Just my opinion but I think good form and a proper fitting rifle will benefit you greatly to develop properly from the start.

Your max now but you will be trying to stretch that out in no time especially with the 6.5 and good ammo. Go longer, why not?

I should add! If you never imagine you will find anything past 450 then 100% get the 223.

1667398483380.png

Majority vote is Tikka CTR in my price range, so I spent time last night researching and comparing to what I know of the HMR. Please let me know if I've got this right:

Both are very accurate out of the box. The actions are smooth and both have a lot of after market support. The Bergara is 9.6lbs, the SS 20 inch CTR is 8lbs and
24 inch is 8.5lbs.

The Tikka has both blued or SS barrels in either 20 or 24inch for 6.5 CM. The HMR has a 22inch cerakote barrel. There are prefit barrel options for DIY on the Tikka but the Bergara requires a gunsmith to rebarrel.

The HMR uses standard AICS magazines. Tikka are proprietary and 2x the cost of AICS.

The HMR has an aluminum chassis embedded into a polymer stock with adjustable length and cheek height. The barrel is 100% free float. The CTR stock is all polymer with no adjustments for length or cheek height. You can replace grips. Most take a Dremel to the CTR stock to free float the barrel or replace the stock altogether.

The HMR trigger is good but a lot will replace with aftermarket option. Tikka trigger is better out of the box.

So, is it the prefit barrel options and trigger why folks recommend the Tikka over the Bergara?
CTR mags cost similarly to AI mags. Years ago they were much more expensive. They have been comparable for several years now.

People recommend Tikka because it’s as close to a sure thing as a man can get. Prefits are a plus as well.

If I give up on hogs and go 223 solely for range use, then I'd want the Tikka Varmint?

Searched and didn't see 223 option for CTR. I guess it exists but not in stock anywhere

Last edited:
Searched and didn't see 223 option for CTR. I guess it exists but not in stock anywhere
They make a 223 ctr. I’ve seen them in stock in the last month.
The varmint has a heavy ass 24” long non threaded barrel. That’s what I had, paid to get it threaded. It was a tack driver

Reactions: 260284
Tons of drop shippers selling the CTR for under $1,000 shipped. Blued version seems to be under $900, gives you room for shipping and transfer and still be under your budget. If you're only shooting out to 450 yards I'd look really hard at the 223 CTR. Throw a brake on and your bad shoulder will thank you for a heavy gun in a light caliber.

Reactions: 260284
Tons of drop shippers selling the CTR for under $1,000 shipped. Blued version seems to be under $900, gives you room for shipping and transfer and still be under your budget. If you're only shooting out to 450 yards I'd look really hard at the 223 CTR. Throw a brake on and your bad shoulder will thank you for a heavy gun in a light caliber.
Any recommendations for web sites ? I pretty much look at GunBroker.

Any recommendations for web sites ? I pretty much look at GunBroker.
I cant seem to find the tikka in stock.
Here's a howa 223 heavy barrel in a orxy chassis for under $1000. The howa triggers are awesome.. actions are just as smooth as a tikka or bergara and they are pretty damn accurate.

If you're not sold on a bolt gun, I just built a 223 AR using Aero enhanced receivers, handguard, cmc flat trigger, and a ultra match rainier arms mk12 barrel for just under $1000... absolute tack driver! And with the adjustable gas block and my dead air nomad.. shes quiet and recoil is very similar to a 22mag.

Another option to save you money... The ruger american predators are super accurate also.. You can find them around $450-$600.. they take AR mags too. Threaded barrels also.. just not as smooth of an action as others mentioned here... but almost always a shooter.

Thanks all. I have a PSA with a SS 18 inch 223 Wylde upper and Rise Armament 5lb trigger. It has a LPVO that was worthless at the new range with my old man eyes. I bought a 4-16x50 for it but haven't tried it yet. Pretty sure I'll get the bolt gun in 6.5 CM.

Last edited:

If Bergara is the path you choose, take a borescope with and examine it before you buy...
I have a Bergara sitting on my bench.....I cannot believe a company would send out a barrel like this. Their company says every barrel is inspected before shipping.... They don't make a claim that they reject any!!!! This is my grandsons gun and he just bought it a couple of weeks ago for a late season draw bull elk tag. This gun will not shoot. The worst gun this 70 year old man has seen.

If Bergara is the path you choose, take a borescope with and examine it before you buy...
I have a Bergara sitting on my bench.....I cannot believe a company would send out a barrel like this. Their company says every barrel is inspected before shipping.... They don't make a claim that they reject any!!!! This is my grandsons gun and he just bought it a couple of weeks ago for a late season draw bull elk tag. This gun will not shoot. The worst gun this 70 year old man has seen.
Jeeze - I'll be buying online. The one thing I've heard is that Bergara makes good barrels but Tikka is better all around. Thanks for the info.

Jeeze - I'll be buying online. The one thing I've heard is that Bergara makes good barrels but Tikka is better all around. Thanks for the info.
I took 15 picks if this barrel. Here are 3 pics. About a hundred rounds. Shoots 3 inch groups with Hornady premium ammo.

Attachments

• IPC_2022-11-01.09.14.29.3140.jpg
    IPC_2022-11-01.09.14.29.3140.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IPC_2022-11-01.09.14.22.5530.jpg
    IPC_2022-11-01.09.14.22.5530.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IPC_2022-11-01.09.14.17.1840.jpg
    IPC_2022-11-01.09.14.17.1840.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Wow
Reactions: SmolPP
If I give up on hogs and go 223 solely for range use, then I'd want the Tikka Varmint?
My Tikka Varmint with 75gr ELDM is very similar to my 6.5 Creedmoor to 600 yards. I bought it used on here with the factory stock, AISC mags, and CDI bottom metal. There are options for aftermarket magazines that will let you load longer, but mine shoots great with IMI 77gr SMK. I did have my barrel threaded, that isn't necessary for recoil reduction on a 223, but I shoot everything suppressed.

My first precision bolt gun was a 20" 260 ctr, 6.5 or 24" wasn't available then. I have several pre-fit barrels for it now and I took it and the 223 out to 1400 yards on steel.

You can get CTR magazines for $50-65 on here.

If you don't reload you're gonna spend WAY more on ammo than you will on the rifle. Don't go cheaply into the good night.....

I'd say Tikka CTR 20" 6.5 creed and have at it. You can't find those 77 TMK's the 223 shooters are so fond of, but you can find plenty of 6.5 ammo, bullets and brass.

ETA this is assuming you're going suppressed, with bad shoulder and all.

Heck, you also could go 6 creed and run factory Hornady 108 or Berger 105's and be very happy.

Well, y'all are a persuasive bunch. Won a Tikka CTR in 20 inch stainless on GunBroker. Anxiously waiting for FFLs to do their thing. I know 24 inch is preferred, but for my immediate needs 20 should be fine and maybe I'll get a suppressor someday.

When I was researching the Bergara HMR it didn't come with a pic rail for scope and everything I read said get a 20 MOA. The CTR has a rail but doesn't look like a 20MOA. Do folks replace it or go with taller rings?

Thanks all. I have a PSA with a SS 18 inch 223 Wylde upper and Rise Armament 5lb trigger. It has a LPVO that was worthless at the new range with my old man eyes. I bought a 4-16x50 for it but haven't tried it yet. Pretty sure I'll get the bolt gun in 6.5 CM.
What LPVO? What ammunition?

I have a Bushnell 1-8.5X SMRS LPVO, which has Japanase glass, on my 16" AR and I don't find a 450 yard shot to be all that difficult with 69 and 77 grain match bullets in my reloads.

If you have old eyes, I would spend as much as you can on good glass or you are going to get frustrated.

What LPVO? What ammunition?

I have a Bushnell 1-8.5X SMRS LPVO, which has Japanase glass, on my 16" AR and I don't find a 450 yard shot to be all that difficult with 69 and 77 grain match bullets in my reloads.

If you have old eyes, I would spend as much as you can on good glass or you are going to get frustrated.
Good point. I have a 1-4x24 illuminated Bushnell AR Optic. Worked fine at the 25yd indoor range I belonged to, and was fun for a out 10 minutes.

I stopped bringing the AR there and just shot pistols.