• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

@ 1000,600,300 yards are the courses of fire level

Broken_Reticle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Philadelphia Tn
I was playing in google earth this morning. And the safest 300 yrd range I could come up with on my property has a drop in elevation of roughly 30 feet.

At 100 yrds I can call a shot on a beer bottle with a 22 or my savage 17hmr. i.e. taking the neck off and leaving the rest of the bottle. So I am not really wanting to shoot 300 yrds for groups. I like hitting things I am aiming at. I am going to get some 1/2" steel from the iron works across the street from me and weld up some frames to shoot at.

So for my questions.

How hard is shooting with a 30' drop going to be at 300 yards using a .308?
Would it mess with me in the future shooting at a 600 yard competition? or make me a better shooter? i.e. learning different shooting solutions based off barrel angle? mil scope

Are most long distance ranges level? or are you shooting up hill so to say?

what size plates should I make up? 12x18" 10'-12" round?

Thanks for the input.

Re: @ 1000,600,300 yards are the courses of fire level

That works out to less than a 3 deg slope, in other words, over that range you won't see any measurable differance.

I would make the plates like typical silhouette targets to look like a man sized target.. Shoot him in the head, heart, pocket, whatever..

FWIW

30' drop at 300yds is almost nothing on an ADI and you will have no need for compensation.

So when I was working out the kinks on my HMR I had my dog lay down on a piece of plywood to make a coyote target. I need to lay down and have my wife trace me huh? Maybe then I can get her to come shoot with me if she knows she is shooting at a replica of me. hahaha.

standard man size targets are 18" across at the shoulders.

Thats the number I was told to use for mildot ranging anyways. Someone else may verify/deny.

Consider decimal targets. These promote placement as well as grouping. The aiming bull of a 300 yard target is 19 inches in diameter.