• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $1000 scope budget

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I'm looking to upgrade my Viper 4-12x40 on my SPS-T. I would like some sort of mildot or ranging reticle. I thought about the IOR 3.5-10 and the Mark 4 3.5-10 I really like the IOR reticle. What are the recommended scopes? I have never had a scope over $450, so I'm new to the real scopes. I want something dependable, it will not be for duty/work, just hunting/range shooting.

Re: $1000 scope budget

The Mark 4 is a very good starter.

If you decide to go Leupold - I'd suggest the TMR reticle over the standard mil-dot. But that's just me.
wink.gif

Ditto ADZE: Leupold 4.5-14X40mm or 4.5-14X50mm with M1 knobs and TMR reticle are GTG.

check out liberty optics i think they had a 3.5-10 on sale for 899. really clear glass and personally i like the mp8 reticle more than a regular mildot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron SIII would be a safe bet. </div></div>

+1 Very nice glass for the price!!!

badshooter,

I can recommend 3 under $1k:

IOR 2.5-10x42mm FFP illuminated Mil/MIL knobs for $899.00 from Liberty Optics, Link, and then scroll down:

Lberty Optics IOR 30mm scopes

SWFA SS 3-9x42MM FFP MIL/MIL knobs from SWFA for $599.95, or loaded from SWFA on Ebay for the same price; Link:

SWFA SS 3-9x42MM

Falcon Menace 4-14x44MM FFP MIL/MIL knobs from RW Snyder for $390.00; Link:
RW Snyder Falcon Menace

I own and have used other scopes, like Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40MM, and Bushnell 4200 6-24x50MM T, but those have MIL reticles and MOA knobs, and Mil/Mil scopes are much easier to use.

There are other brands like Nikon and Sightron that make fine tactical scopes for under 1k, but they are again MIL/MOA scopes and I have not tried them.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron SIII would be a safe bet. </div></div>

+1 Very nice glass for the price!!! </div></div>

I have gotten people mad at me about always telling everyone to buy a sightron SIII! Great Scopes, Great Prices and I don't think for the price any scope compares!

I like the IOR, the Leuppy and the SIII. My only problem with the SIII is the tall turrets, I was thinking about the M3 knobs on the Mk4. What are the suggestions on the knob options?

I want the smallest size to keep the gun profile smaller and lighter. Thats why I chose the 3.5-10 instead of the 14x scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the IOR, the Leuppy and the SIII. My only problem with the SIII is the tall turrets, I was thinking about the M3 knobs on the Mk4. What are the suggestions on the knob options?

I want the smallest size to keep the gun profile smaller and lighter. Thats why I chose the 3.5-10 instead of the 14x scope. </div></div>

badshooter,

The IOR 2.5x10 has a 30mm tube, 42mm objective, weighs 17 oz, and is 13.5" long. The IOR has an FFP reticle, MIL/MIL and has 0.1 mil (0.36") adjustments. IOR also makes a 2.5-10 with 1/2" adjustments, that is SFP MIL/MOA

Leupold 3.5-10 M3 is SFP MIL/MOA, has 30mm tube, 40mm Objective, weighs 19.5 oz and is 13.5" long. The Leupold M3 has 1" elevation adjustments and 1/2" windage adjustments, so it is a MIL/MOA scope.

Leupold also has a 3.5-10x40mm M2. That one has 1/2" W&E adjustments, and illumination.

Or you can buy a new or used M3, and Leupold will convert the elevation from M3 to M2, or 1" to 1/2" for $89.00.

Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44mm is SFP MIL/MOA, has 30mm tube, 44mm objective, weighs 22 oz, and is 13.56" Long. It has 1/4" adjustments, so it is MIL/MOA.

Since weight and size are a consideration for you, have you considered Leupold 2.5-8x36mm MR/T M2? This is a 30mm tube scope, 36mm objective, 1/2" adjustments, weighing 16 oz, and 11.3" long? It is again an SFP and MIL/MOA scope, but it size and weight may be a plus for your needs.

Bob

I talked to Scott at Libertyoptics about a trade-in Leuppy Mk4 3.5-10x40 with the M3 knobs. For my hunting purpose, I think it will be good. He said the M3 knob will make the elevation adj. in one turn. When hunting and I want to go out to say, 600yds, I just turn to 6 and pull the trigger. What do you guys think? Is it a good deal for $729

I'm not familar with the mildot system, so how does the mildot and the MOA dial work together?

For $945 the best money can buy is a US Optics ST-10. Save your money a little longer and you can upgrade a bit. Bottom line though, it's a tough scope that will do what you want and last for a long time. If your hardcore enough to take it out and beat it, it won't break up on ya. IF you just take it to the range and on light hunting detail, well, it may be too much for you. I'm just sayin, for the money, it kicks major ass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I talked to Scott at Libertyoptics about a trade-in Leuppy Mk4 3.5-10x40 with the M3 knobs. For my hunting purpose, I think it will be good. He said the M3 knob will make the elevation adj. in one turn. When hunting and I want to go out to say, 600yds, I just turn to 6 and pull the trigger. What do you guys think? Is it a good deal for $729

I'm not familar with the mildot system, so how does the mildot and the MOA dial work together? </div></div>

That's a good deal on an M3. And yes, you can just turn to 6, and shoot, if your load matches the dial. The dials are set for specific loads, .223, 308 and 300 Win Mag. usually in one bullet weight only. It is a simple setup. If your load differs a lot from Leupolds dials you can get Kenton Industries or Leupold to make you a custom knob for your exact load.

As far as Mil dots and MOA knobs, they don't really work together well, but you can get close. One mil is 3.6" @ 100 yds, 7.2" @ 200 yds, 10.8" @ 300 yds, and so on. With an M3, if you want to make a one MIL correction, you would dial 4 clicks or 4" or 4 MOA (however you think of it) for every one MIL correction you need to make. That will get you close.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron SIII would be a safe bet. </div></div>

+1 Very nice glass for the price!!! </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic"> </span> IF <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> you can even find them...

Take a look at the new Trijicon 5-20x50. I picked up one the other day and im very impressed with the glass. Its a very close comparison to the Zeiss Victory I have looked through. Ive had the trijicon 1" scopes and wasnt very impressed but these 30mm are pretty nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark 4. Or find a used NXS.

Vu </div></div>

Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you seen used NXS for $1,000 or less? Every time I look, they're more like $1,200 give or take $50 for used.