• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 Yard + and ELR in 2021 Thoughts

b2lee

Stealthy
Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I know sooooo many people that aren't out there practicing and getting lead down range. I know soooo many people that have run out of match ammo and are afraid to use their plinking ammo. I know soooo many people that are just now thinking of reloading...and there isn't anything to buy...try finding a Forster Co-Ax...heh. Try finding primers and most powder. Oh my...with the degradation of skills due to sitting at home and twiddling their thumbs... 2021 could be a great year for those that have put in their practice and kept up their skills this year and continuing on into the Winter months. Dry firing will only carry you so far....and even the guys I know that compete but are afraid to expend ammo.....aren't even dry firing regularly. They have become complacent and moved on to DIY hobbies or home repair.

I'm still getting my work in with about 1,000 .308 rounds a month...some 22LR...and a lot of .223. I'm trying to keep my new barrel on the 300PRC from getting too much work...but it is because of barrel life and not ammo shortage. I'm probably sitting at about 25,000 rifle rounds down range this year. I'm hoping that 2021 will allow my mediocre shooting ass to win more next year than I did this year.

Who all out there is still putting in the work?

Yep. We have been shooting matches all year around here. I have another next week, putting elk on hold to attend.

I am down to .22's mostly but I am shooting them at 100 meters and getting sub MOA groups so I feel it is helping with breath and trigger control. I probably have 40,000 rounds of Sk Standard + left.

Last edited:
    2020 was down a little on live trigger pulls for my son and I compared to the last decade but it had more to do with my shit work schedule than ammo availability or our stockpile of factory ammo or reloading parts. For 338LM and 300PRC, we have ~500 rounds ready to go and have the powder, primers, brass and projos in-hand to produce another thousand easily. Actually, I could go local and buy the bullets to get us out to the rest of my life expectancy as our stock of primers, brass and powder has the cabinets over-stuffed. Fortunately, I can still find the bullets I prefer very close by.

I wish I could find pistol primers. We have a healthy stockpile of EOW ammo stuffed into magazines and boxed up. But I'd like to double it based on my paranoia of the future. The good news is that I can drive to shops less than an hour away and find something on the list like 9mm, 45ACP, 223, 308, etc., and a couple of days a month, we typically add that onto a day of shooting and end up adding to the stockpile. My mantra is to shoot many and buy or reload more than I shoot.

Frustrated at my overtime schedule, my son made it out a few more days than me and he has maintained his skill set a little better. I'm not certain that '21 will be much better for my work schedule, dammit, but in these hard times, I can't complain of having work.

Reactions: b2lee
    I have been lucky to be able to shoot at least once a week at ranges from 600 - 1000 yards for short action (occasionally 338 too) from April to November. But I only shoot about 20 to 100 rounds per outing plus the occasional match. I have about 1600 rounds through 6.5 Creedmoor and about 300 rounds through my 338 Edge this year. I hope to be able to compete a little more next year, but no one knows what the future will hold with regards to the COVID-19 Plandemic (Planned Pandemic).

I was also able to compete in my 1st and 2nd ELR matches at Spearpoint Ranch in KS this year. Steve puts on a great match, and I was lucky enough to shoot with some great shooters as well as great friends. I am sort of liking the ELR sport more than the PRS sport.

I am hoping to have the opportunity to shoot at least once a month at distance, but it gets pretty cold up here in MN.

Good luck with your practice, and more importantly, good luck finding ammo and reloading supplies. And stay healthy guys.

Reactions: TripleBull
    I got some practice today in some pretty spicey winds at TVP. 1 mile with the new barrel was stupid easy. Let a new shooter sit behind the 300PRC....never tried a mile before....I had wind dialed for them. One trigger pull....one hit on an 18" plate. I think I may have royally screwed this individual for the rest of their lives...because now they are building a rifle....heh

I could not see any impacts at 2300 yards...the wind was stupid and on that range it is multi-directional on that target. No spotter to help me...so I quit wasting ammo and went back down to 1760.

Here's the funny thing for today...in that wind... 308 Remington Police.....1000 yards was 50% hit rate....went to 1100 yards and it was about 20% hit rate....but at 1200 yards...I was about 70%....that is super silly...same size 10" target on all of them. I have no idea why I was hitting the 1200 yard target that easily with a 308 in a crazy wind.

I fired almost 200 rounds of 308 today....practiced trigger control and wind reading.

Reactions: TripleBull
    I haven’t been practicing much this last month. It’s been hunting season up here in MN and in neighboring WI. I was hoping to take some longer shots on whitetail, but 280 yards was as far as they came out for me.

Daherc

Did you have a great time shooting in Kansas, they are known for some good winds.

Oneshot.onehit
    JH

Daherc

Did you have a great time shooting in Kansas, they are known for some good winds.

Oneshot.onehit
    JH
    Yes, I did have a great time. The winds were crazy. About 8-23mph from the 10:00 to 2:00 direction. Almost always changing from target to target.

It was definitely tough to get 1st round impacts.

I hope to get back there again in 2021. At least for 1 match.

Reactions: oneshot.onehit
    I went out on a scout-shoot trip last week. It turned into a nice drive in the hills, but shooting didn't happen. I was looking for roads up into a lesser traveled section and kept running into locked gates. And the areas I could get to had too much scrub oak coverage for good shooting lanes out to distance.

On the interesting side of things, I got to see my first EPA Superfund Site and the orange colored creek coming out of it...

I was going to go back today, but it rained yesterday, and the last time I went up into those hills after a rain, I came back with a hundred pounds of clay caked to my Jeep.