• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft 1000 yard competition cartridges... Are they man killers? effective range? Practicality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbowhunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2012
Michigan
So this is kind of a follow as my thoughts develop on a first build.

Sure I'm no sniper, nor do I have any intent to be, nor would I have the rifle skills or the stalking skills, or the patience ..... BUT I take pride in knowing my firearms have purpose beyond that of punching paper and steel.

What practical uses do the 1000 yard competition cartridges have as man killers? What would be their effective range?

We're talking the creedmoors, 6xc, 260, 6.5x47, and all the other stuff I don't even know about.

Let's talk bullet selection/availability, terminal ballistics, external ballistics, effective range, etc.

Sounds like a fun discussion to me anyways... I'm sure I'll learn something.

Enjoy,

Dave

---didn't quite know where to put this one, figured this sub-forum would work...

unless your trying to defeat body armor, i think most would work as long as they are supersonic. a 9mm with a 115 grain bullet has a velocity around 1200 at the muzzle and it kills. i'm not an expert though so this is just speculation.

I kinda consider 400 lb energy to be a good number, 40 S&W JHP runs 470 at muzzle and they should plant most anyone hit solid. (Shot placement rules all).

smart question...come on to a public forum and ask what it takes to kill a man at 1K yards. Try using a little common sense on your next question. Maybe reword your question in the form of whitetail to mule deer size game.

You can't kill what you can't hit.

A military man-killer should (given a central nervous system hit) penetrate the equipment and body armor you're most likely to engage, as well as the most dangerous. In 2013 terms that will probably be someone in soft body armor with a level III hard plate and at least a single depth of magazine in a chest carrier (typically an AK-47).

A 243, 260, or 6.5x47 will go the distance (to 1,000) but may not do anything through both the magazine and level III plate past perhaps 500-600 yards -- simply not enough kinetic energy (mass and velocity) at the target.

2v0l4bq.jpg

Parade%2BInfantry%2B17.jpg

574695_orig.jpg

Last edited:
check longrangehunting. muscle and bone are basically the same (besides thickness) over all animals. if something works on elk at 800 yards, it will be more than enough for a human body (just compare thickness of chest area). so if you want to know about knock-down power, you'll get tons more information in the hunting sections.

about penetrating armor. now that's something i can't help you with. those bullets that work really well for hunting (usually meaning that at least one part of the bullet opens up, with some part sticking together and pushing through for blood trail), tend to have limited application for penetrating something.

I doubt I'll ever get back in the game, I'm too old but I'll throw this in for what its worth.

A long time ago the Army determined that it would take 60 ft lbs of energy to produce a disabling wound. So one needs to take that into consideration when picking a round for a given range.

I'm different. I don't hunt much past 300 yards. Just about any modern cartridge will fill my needs in the energy dept. I do shoot long range, all I need to do is poke a hole in a piece of paper or ring steel. For that all one needs to do normally is keep the round super sonic, then its up to the shooter.

There are exceptions, for example something along the lines of the 45-70 and lead bullets. They don't like high velocity. I've found that up to about 1200 fps they work good to 1000 yards or so, when I tried to step them up to 1500 fps to get a flatter trajectory they started to tumble.

What's the point of this thread besides revealing your mindset? You say you have "no intent to be" then why the question? It's stupid shit like this that brings the credibility of the Hide down. If you're trying to research there are ample means to do so without coming off like you have malicious intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.