• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yard range in the Albuquerque area?

BaileyMoto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
Basra, Iraq.
www.mk12.net
Just bought a home in ABQ and wondered if any of you are in the area and may be familiar with a range that provides distances out to 1000 yards? I believe there are 2 or 3 ranges in the area, but I know nothing about them.

Thanks in advance!

Re: 1000 yard range in the Albuquerque area?

Del Norte Gun Club has a 1,000-yard known distance highpower range.

I really like that range.

You should come out to Zia and shoot the long range match with us sometime. There are a bunch of good guys out there PM me if you need any more info

Just head out past the 'end of the world' on the west mesa, you'll have unlimited range and it's close.

Used to shoot out there weekly.

Side note: Make sure your cars are fully insured...

Your only a couple of hours from Raton and the NRA Whittington Center. Nicest place Ive been to shoot and they have overnight cabins you can rent very cheaply.n Really nice folks as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just head out past the 'end of the world' on the west mesa, you'll have unlimited range and it's close.

Used to shoot out there weekly.

Side note: Make sure your cars are fully insured...

</div></div>

Thanks for the suggestions! An open plot of land actually sounds ideal. Using my own targets w/o the pressure of the range is always nice. Can you give me a little more info on where "end of the world" is?

Essential - Sent ya an IM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can you give me a little more info on where "end of the world" is?

</div></div>

About any direction you want to drive in. Just get about 1 mile out of town(or less). That is some desolate and open country. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> where "end of the world" is?

</div></div>

Head way out on the west side past Universal I don't remember the street names but if you head North on Coors and go West on a street that is after Intel you'll drive forever past all the houses and pretty soon you'll come to a set of cliffs with only one way through (need a tall 4x4 truck for that part) but once you're through there you're good to go. Or you could just drive NW of Rio Rancho and find some open mesa out there. There are plenty of arroyos out there to shoot in. Keep in mind I haven't been out there for a handful of years so my info is old but I spent years driving around out there shooting yotes and everything else...Plus you could also go ask to get onto King ranch..

Welcome to Abq there are a lots of places to shoot. Like essential said come shoot zia. Don't wast time at the city range. Pm me if you want to get together and shoot. I am there off and on different weekends

Thank's for the replies. Zia sounds like the place.
smile.gif
I'll be back from overseas in a couple months or so...so expect a few PMs.

As others have said, there is a lot of public land in new mexico so it's easy to find an empty spot. The Zia guys are cool and they're just south of the airport:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2628271

There is a new mexico thread in the member's link up forum, but I haven't had any recent replies there. I know a few places around, but I'm not sure which would be best in terms of access from albuquerque. PM me or post in that link up thread and mabye we can put together an outing. Welcome to NM.