• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yard scope power

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
Hi, I am thinking about scope choices for a 300 win mag rifle coming to me. I don't have access to 1000 yard range within 2 hour driving, but want to set up the rifle so the capacity is there in the future

What's a good compromise in scope power that accommodate the full range between 200 to 1000 yards? Using nightforce as example, I am debating between 4.5-15 verus 5-22, taking the cost difference out

Thank you for input on this

Re: 1000 yard scope power

5.5-22 will serve well to 1000 yards. At least it has for me.
On guns that see only 600-1000 yard action I would recommend the NF 12-42 BR scope but it is too much power at 200 yards IMHO.

I've hit targets at 1000+ with 10x, 15x, 16x, 18x, 20x, and 22x.

This past weekend I was having no trouble dancing around a 12x12" square at a mile using a 15x scope and I hit a number of times on the 12x12 plates from 300-1200yd using a 10x on top of the AR15.

If you're going to spend 90%+ inside of 1000yd and it's tactical shooting I'd opt for the 15x region. If it's going to be paper targets for score then a 20x region or higher is probably the way to go, but I usually find myself limited in functional magnification with field conditions due to mirage.

Target size has alot to do with it also. If you are shooting man sized targets then you can do it easily with 8-10x but if you are shooting MOA sized targets and smaller then a little more magnification helps to see the target as you can't hit what you can't see.

I have said this for years, you can always turn down a higher powered optic to a lower power if you need to but you can't turn a lower powered optic up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Target size has alot to do with it also. If you are shooting man sized targets then you can do it easily with 8-10x but if you are shooting MOA sized targets and smaller then a little more magnification helps to see the target as you can't hit what you can't see.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have said this for years, you can always turn down a higher powered optic to a lower power if you need to but you can't turn a lower powered optic up. </span></div></div>

This is a very good point, I find myself turning down the max power a lot more than I wish for more power on the top.

If the rifle is going to double duty for hunting where you get mostly shorter shots having something with 2.5-4x type range at the bottom end will be a lot of help. Trying to find a deer in the woods, at low light conditions with buck fever on 5-7.5x sucks.

Marduk on here makes a mounting bracket so you can mount a spotting scope to your rifle, I mean hell why not use 60X

Good rule of thumb for MOA aiming points is 1x per 100 yards. That will let you do what you want at range. More power can be a hinderence so be careful of your low end depending on what the rifle is mainly going to be used for.

Thank you for all the suggestions! My sense is that most people will go to 20x if precision is the goal. I will do more search with this in mind

Good shooting

Jeff

i shoot a 4-16 FFP out to 1000 no issue, it is more about resolution then power. It took me a long time to accept but it is true. last summer i was shooting a 10" plate on 6 power because of the heat.

I will agree to that mirage may be a factor at times, but I wouldn't recommend anything under 20X....

It's always better to have too much mag than wishing you had more
grin.gif

Here in Utah, I find myself at max mag 90% of the time using a 5-22X.

Reactions: jasent

I dont know if this will help as I dont have the best camera, and it is the camera not the scope, I took this last year.

SFP Mildot Nightforce at 15x and 1000 yards, from left to right targets are 36", 24" 12" on the other side of the wall is a life size praire dog and ipsc target
005-1.jpg

Reactions: CybrSlydr

Great Picture, thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know if this will help as I dont have the best camera, and it is the camera not the scope, I took this last year.

SFP Mildot Nightforce at 15x and 1000 yards, from left to right targets are 36", 24" 12" on the other side of the wall is a life size praire dog and ipsc target
005-1.jpg

</div></div>

When I used to shoot ground squirrels in Oregon I used a 8-32X scope. Usually it was set on 20X for shooting from 200 yards on out.

I use a Lupy Mark IV 4.5-14X when shooting & have no problem at 1000 yards with it on full size targets. But if shooting MOA size targets, I would prefer to have a 20X or better.....

Example: Military E-Type man target at 1000 yards on 14X, round circle on the left is a 15 inch steel.

1000YdScopepic.jpg

I use a Nightforce 5-22x56 for 600 yard bench and can use more power,if you have young eyes this might be enough. In my case I bought a BulzEye lense which gives me about 35 power on the high end. It helps older eyes to see better and you can always take it off when you don't need the power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bama110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot a 4-16 FFP out to 1000 no issue, it is more about resolution then power. It took me a long time to accept but it is true. last summer i was shooting a 10" plate on 6 power because of the heat. </div></div>

More about resolution than power - so true. I shot my new SSG69 today hosting a Swarovski 6x42 ZFM, and easily get subMOA at 200 yds. I used to have to make an effort with other scope at 12x to do that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Lupy Mark IV 4.5-14X when shooting & have no problem at 1000 yards with it on full size targets. But if shooting MOA size targets, I would prefer to have a 20X or better.....

Example: Military E-Type man target at 1000 yards on 14X, round circle on the left is a 15 inch steel.

1000YdScopepic.jpg
</div></div>

Another great picture that vividly makes the point - thank you

test pic of a pst4-16 ffp, the same nightforce and a pre mk4 3.5-10x40 m3 (football mildot), that m1k3 combined for me on my viper pst post
Vortex2.jpg

Clarity of the glass can make higher mag unnecessary.
That said, I believe in buying a higher mag that you "must have". Most all my scopes are NF 5.5-22 and they offer all I need even to 1000 yards.
Mirage often dictates how much magnification you can actually use. I have been shooting at prairie dogs at over 1500 yards and could see them better at 16X than at the full 25x on the scope I was using.

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS F1 would work perfect. My choice.
15X is plenty for 1K.

To 1000 I roll between 14 to 16. Shot to 1212 the other day and moved the power up a bit but like everyone says the mirage will get worse on the higher power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yej0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, I am thinking about scope choices for a 300 win mag rifle coming to me. I don't have access to 1000 yard range within 2 hour driving, but want to set up the rifle so the capacity is there in the future

What's a good compromise in scope power that accommodate the full range between 200 to 1000 yards? Using nightforce as example, I am debating between 4.5-15 verus 5-22, taking the cost difference out

Thank you for input on this

</div></div>You would have to go with 5 to 22 over the 4,5-15 - why would you even consider the smaller magnification? consider even a bigger magnification if the lower end isnt as important for hunting for example -AS Robo1 said your can always turn down a higher magnification , cant say the same for the lower magnification trying to go up -the other thing of course is the scope weight !

I'll have to double check the magnification, since to me the scale doesn't seem right compared to the other pics in this thread, but this is 32x @ 1000 yds. The target is 6 feet tall.

STA72252.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oregon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iamironman, Curious what kind of scope? </div></div>

Burris, iirc the Signature model, if I'm not mistaken this model was discontinued. I bought it at least 10 years ago.

If shooting man sized targets FFP works well. If shooting MOA sized targets, I've found reticle size to be problematic with FFP reticles. Reticle tends to obscure the target
Powers above 20 are seldom usable here because of mirage. JMHO

Reticle thickness in most FFP scopes is about 0.05-.07 mil (0.17 to 0.24 MOA), no problem at all quartering a MOA target.

What Tiro said. I have shot at 5" circles at 1000 and had no problems with my FFP scope reticles.

I am currently in the buildup of a .338lm and am trying to decide between the NF nxs 5.5-22 or the 8-32. Which one would suit. This rig is a long range prone stick and I will hopefully get on 1500 yds when I get back from Iraq. Trying not to highjack the thread, just get clarity

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reticle thickness in most FFP scopes is about 0.05-.07 mil (0.17 to 0.24 MOA), no problem at all quartering a MOA target. </div></div>
My Mark4 6.5-20 FFP has a small opening at the center of the reticle. Not sure what the dimensions are, but it works quite well at keeping the lines from obscuring the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am currently in the buildup of a .338lm and am trying to decide between the NF nxs 5.5-22 or the 8-32. Which one would suit. This rig is a long range prone stick and I will hopefully get on 1500 yds when I get back from Iraq. Trying not to highjack the thread, just get clarity</div></div>

Look at the available MOA in those scopes and you will see the 5.5-22 is a better option for those ranges and gives you plenty of magnification. I used one on 17x to make hits on an MOA sized target at 2000 yards with a 408 Chey Tac.

IMHO, 15x will get you there but, as so many have said before 22x is better. I also find that I'm at 22x 95% of the time and, on really hot days, I back up to around 17x due to mirage.

The only thing I really wish I had on my NF is first focal plane. It's almost easier to go to 11x off of 22x so I can hold off more accurately for wind using the retical. All of that said, I've never had to back up more than 15x for mirage... so, 15x is good but, wouldn't it be better to be able to go further. ( can't hit what you can't see )

Whatever you decide, make sure if you get MOA on the turret, get an MOA reticle... same way with mils... if you get mils in the reticle, get mils on the turret.

I like the higher powers. Aim small miss small.

I have a NF 3.5-15 and its great, but I wouldnt mind a 5.5-22, or even a NF 8.5-32.

Fixed 10X is fine for me to 1000 yards for most targets... Not for prarie dogs. For paper it depends on the target size and rectical thickness.

I have a 5.5-22 on my 300WM and it is very easy to see the target at 22X. Even at 5.5 it is not that hard. Eather way you go will be fine. One thing to think about some time at higher power the air will make it hard to use because of the humidity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am currently in the buildup of a .338lm and am trying to decide between the NF nxs 5.5-22 or the 8-32. Which one would suit. This rig is a long range prone stick and I will hopefully get on 1500 yds when I get back from Iraq. Trying not to highjack the thread, just get clarity</div></div>

Look at the available MOA in those scopes and you will see the 5.5-22 is a better option for those ranges and gives you plenty of magnification. I used one on 17x to make hits on an MOA sized target at 2000 yards with a 408 Chey Tac. </div></div>

No disagreement with Rob01! Myself ran into this the first time out west trying to shoot to a mile with a 65MOA scope.

Running through the numbers, Nightforce lists the vertical elevation adjustment for the 5.5x22 as 100MOA (which is +/- 50MOA) and for the 8x32 as 65MOA (which is +/- 32.5MOA). Thus if one assumes everything is perfectly centered when mounted you could JUST get by with a 30MOA offset ring/base on the the 8x32 and leave you 62.5MOA to come up from a 100 yard zero, however more likely would be 20MOA offset ring/base and 52.5MOA come up from a 100 yards. The reason for 20MOA base/rings is that one typically does not like to have to rely on having to operate at the maximum range of adjustment of your scope, plus you run a chance of having a minimum zero farther than a hundred yards (which is not that bad, I use to zero my 50BMG at the bottom of the first mil dot up from the cross hair for 100 yards).

The 5.5x22 scope with 30MOA rings/bases would give you 80MOA to come up from a 100yard zero and not get you near the edge of your adjustment range when zeroing at a 100 yards. Side note in the old days the 4.5x14 Mk4 Leupold scope was there only listed MK4 variable with a 100MOA of vertical adjustment, thus the only choice for this brand when doing long range field shooting where you still wished to be able to zero at a 100 yards, however, recently Leupold had offered several of the long range MK4s in higher power .... but most of us in the bunch had moved to the 5.5x22 Nightforce by then ;-)

A first pass calculation (click here) using JBM, for a shoot out west, indicated that the 52.5MOA come up for the 8x32 would get you past 1400 yards but not 1500 yards for 338LM and 300Win loadings. Actual shooting last year tended to indicate the 338LMs did a little better than this (the Desert Tactical 300 Win mag barrel has not been gotten yet and with as well as the 338LM is doing, may not be ;-).
Trajectory-4500ft-v3a_html_m5b6d4d1b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know if this will help as I dont have the best camera, and it is the camera not the scope, I took this last year.

005-1.jpg

</div></div>

I have to ask, is that a range in Michigan? nothing on my side of the state that looks that fun! That would be worth the drive if it is open to the public.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to ask, is that a range in Michigan? nothing on my side of the state that looks that fun! That would be worth the drive if it is open to the public. </div></div>

That range is http://www.youngslongshot.com/ and depending on where you are in the S.E. you might be closer than me
grin.gif
about a hour and half drive for me.

Its just a little south of Lagrange IN. Great place!

I have used all the way up to 40x to get on paper at a 100 yards from time to time but mostly hover in the 12-18x range for most of the time though