• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yards with a 22RF?

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
Yep!
275020138_458724062619838_1567964409062966653_n.jpg

275006083_458724102619834_8629505681037430583_n.jpg

275156232_458724069286504_6486775650792046451_n.jpg

1000 yards with a .22!​

3 hits on a 36" square at 1000 yards.
Total of 105.5 mils / 363 MOA from a 50 yard zero.
Build: 20" MTU on a Vudoo Three 60 in a Ridgeback stock with Accutac bipod.
Riton 7 Conquer 3-24x56 scope in an adjustable base.
This was shot with Sk Standard Plus
Vudoo Gun Works

No connection, was just blown away buy it when passing through the news. Found on Precision Rifle's Faceplant page:

If smallish number of shots my hat is off to the young lady for long range marksmanship. If say 100 shots, my hat is off to the young lady for perseverance.

Was the gentleman in the picture spotting? What was the wind doing?

Wasn’t there just a thread about 300BO at a mile or some shit? I thought I needed better things to do

I've never tried 1,000 yards with a .22lr, but it's a LONG shot. Good for her managing to get some hits, even if it took most of a box.

This doesn't exactly line up with the MILs you had to dial in, but maybe some will get a better idea of how much of a lob shot it is...would have a better chance of a hit with the target laying flat on the ground.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.09.07 PM.png

better idea of how much of a lob shot it is
haha...yeah, has to be lobbed like a mortar round.

Personally, I don't care too much how many bricks she had to shoot in order to get three hits. The smile on this young lady's face is reward enough, I think. I love to see young people shooting, and in particular females as they are often not encouraged to do so, and it seems like it made her very happy in that moment. Nothing there for me to criticize.

Cheers

based on the pile of brass next to her...im guessing she lobbed at least a whole box down range....

....hell, give me enough ammo and enough time, i can make hits at 2000 with my ruger mk3.....

EDIT: from the comments, apparently 30-ish shots were taken to make the 3 hits....not sure a 10% hit ratio is praise worthy.....
At 1000 yards with a ..22 rim fire... I’d give her some respect!

Given the capabilities of the round at that range… yeah 10 percent isn’t bad. Respect given!

Sirhr

My bad. I searched, however I didn't see your thread.
How many shots did it take you?
if i were to shoot 22 at 1,000 i most certainly wouldn't have made a thread about it

but if i did i would have made sure to repost it again a few months later

Reactions: obx22
I've never tried 1,000 yards with a .22lr, but it's a LONG shot. Good for her managing to get some hits, even if it took most of a box.

This doesn't exactly line up with the MILs you had to dial in, but maybe some will get a better idea of how much of a lob shot it is...would have a better chance of a hit with the target laying flat on the ground.

View attachment 7825064
@Cowpoky

Right on. Looks like the final trajectory was at 45 deg so effective area was only the stated area times tan45. A target with both a vertical and horizonal surface would be more appropriate with AP on the vertical surface.

based on the pile of brass next to her...im guessing she lobbed at least a whole box down range....

....hell, give me enough ammo and enough time, i can make hits at 2000 with my ruger mk3.....

EDIT: from the comments, apparently 30-ish shots were taken to make the 3 hits....not sure a 10% hit ratio is praise worthy.....
@mcameron

Mighty praise worthy if any kind of cross wind! Unfortunately wind condition not stated.

If I’m understanding the math, her max ordinate is something close to 84 yards? That’s a whole lotta air! Think about it another way, yes- line of sight was 1000yds, but actual bullet flight path was a hell of a bit more. Lots of opportunity for the slightest puff to push it off target.

now you just need her use to being able to do it with her first three shots and have the world record people there to witness it and she can have her very own world record . well till someone else does it a few ft further congrats to her either way it is a sweet shot . I don't think the standing record is 600 yards you would have to check .
Standing as in "current" record, or standing as in position?

If I’m understanding the math, her max ordinate is something close to 84 yards? That’s a whole lotta air! Think about it another way, yes- line of sight was 1000yds, but actual bullet flight path was a hell of a bit more. Lots of opportunity for the slightest puff to push it off target.
It'd be feet, not yards.
Here, at 4700 ft, with a DA of 5500, I would need 90mils of elevation for a hit, no clue if right, but my dope is sound to 500. My max ordinate would be 95 ft, hers slightly more with 100mils up.
You may be calculating bullet drop from the bore w/o dialing any up, which in my case, if my barrel was level, I would need to be 270ft or 90 yards above ground to hit, but finding an aimpoint would be tough.
Totally agree on the bullet being out of gas, and subject to really mild breezes.

Reactions: obx22
Good on her, she's a 15yo kid pushing the limits of a cartridge that has been deemed a 50-100yd only proposition for the last 100 years.

1000yds with a .22 is every bit as challenging, if not more so than a mile with a 308 or similar, I don't understand the shit talking to be honest.

My previous post stated the effective target size was diminished by the tan of the angle. Wrong. It should be the cosine of the angle, the angle being the angular distance between the perpendicular to the front of the target and the tangent of the bullet flight path at the target. On a slope the perpendicular will not be horizontal. Assuming the target is conventional, i.e. only has height and width, the effective area is the height times width and cosine of the angle.

If the angle of the bullet to the target is 45 deg, the effective area is only 52% of what it would be if the angle were zero, i.e. path at target was perpendicular to target. So the reduction of the area is substantial.

Last edited:
Good on her, she's a 15yo kid pushing the limits of a cartridge that has been deemed a 50-100yd only proposition for the last 100 years.

1000yds with a .22 is every bit as challenging, if not more so than a mile with a 308 or similar, I don't understand the shit talking to be honest.
AFAIK its more like 4 to 1, so 4-500 yds with a 22LR is like lobbing 308 1 mile.

Imagine someone came in here talking about throwing a .308 ±2 miles... 🤠

If you want to know why the shooting sports are atrophied, take a look at the comments in this thread. We don’t need anti’s tearing us down, we do a fine job ourselves. I’m ashamed of my fellow shooters or professed gun-people.
U think this is a tough crowd, u should see the BR crowd

• Haha
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
AFAIK its more like 4 to 1, so 4-500 yds with a 22LR is like lobbing 308 1 mile.

Imagine someone came in here talking about throwing a .308 ±2 miles... 🤠
Everyone would be kissing their ass and saying how well they did.

This is a 15yo with a 22. It's crazy to think k people are so quick to bring others down

This is a 15yo with a 22. It's crazy to think k people are so quick to bring others down
People forget older ballistic calculators with lower BC bullets, no DA feature, or a trueing option. I am sure the first guys getting into 1K benchrest lobbed bullets to find a suitable dope. Or KO2M and guys with 375 cheytacs crapping out at 1550 because it was that easy.
When I came to SH in early 2011, 800 yards was a long shot, of course 308 was the cartridge of choice, with setups that maybe wouldn't even dial to 1K. And sustainable accuracy at 1k with these rifles was a new frontier.
Things are easy today, and the more this girl shoots at 1K with her 22LR, the better her results will be.

At my silhouette range earlier this year, while sighting in my 22lr, i took a few shots at the 300 yard pigs. I had to aim at a cactus above the target and dial down the scope power so i can see impacts they were hitting so much lower, but i was able to hit around the pig. I think i did hit it a few times by seeing no impact im the dirt around it.

The closest I ever came to doing something as wild as 1K with .22LR was 200 Yards with a .44 Magnum revolver in IHMSA matches. It was like lobbing mortar rounds until you figured-out your front sight holdover and wind speed/direction. Too much fun.

What adjustable base is that? Apologies if it’s in the FB page. Hate FB.

Speaking of motars, a tiny 22LR mortar would be hilarious!

oh this again

nothing on number of shots taken...doesn't mean much does it

also...finger on trigger with bolt open. why...
Yep!
View attachment 7824783
View attachment 7824784
View attachment 7824785

1000 yards with a .22!​

3 hits on a 36" square at 1000 yards.
Total of 105.5 mils / 363 MOA from a 50 yard zero.
Build: 20" MTU on a Vudoo Three 60 in a Ridgeback stock with Accutac bipod.
Riton 7 Conquer 3-24x56 scope in an adjustable base.
This was shot with Sk Standard Plus
Vudoo Gun Works

No connection, was just blown away buy it when passing through the news. Found on Precision Rifle's Faceplant page:

Lol that’s like 300’ of drop, so point to sky
And fire until you get lucky and then at 300 ft per second maybe catch it by hand lol

A 22lr at a 1000 yards or a 375ct at 4000 yards how may rounds did it take. If I can't get a hit in 10 rounds or less I becomes law of averages not accuracy.

View attachment 7825064
If you set your zero to the range, in this case 1000 yards, you can get a good visual of the flight path.
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 11.49.48.png