• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yd range in near north GA?

pbrainey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
Chatsworth, GA
Hi everyone, after lurking for years I finally set up an account. I was wondering if anyone was doing any 1000 yard shooting in the northwest GA area, and if so where they have been doing it. I know of a 500 yard range about 15 miles from my house and was just wanting to see what a 1000 yard range looked like, hell I might even send a few 7mm magnums down range for sh!ts and giggles.

Re: 1000 yd range in near north GA?

I don't know of any that go that far out... too hilly

Creekside goes out to +500 yards, but that's about it that I know of...

I figured I would probably have to go further south to get to 1000. Do you know where creekside is located?

Thanks for all the info so far! I believe gunsite hills is the closest to me, and it doesnt seem to be too far from APA. So, if I can get him to build me a rifle someday, it would be a great place to break her in.

The gunsite hills range is pretty nice. The owner is a bit of a nuisance though. When I went he wasted half my time talking then told my friends and I it was time for us to go when one of them made a bad shot and he got all mad because my friend didn't shoot at the right target. Its also $20 per day to shoot there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gunsite hills range is pretty nice. The owner is a bit of a nuisance though. When I went he wasted half my time talking then told my friends and I it was time for us to go when one of them made a bad shot and he got all mad because my friend didn't shoot at the right target. Its also $20 per day to shoot there. </div></div>

He'll also harass you if you take a semi rifle; so if you're going to go there, only take bolt guns.

Did you take the class, or just go to have a day of shooting? I thought about spending a full day there and taking the class as well but if he's gonna be a dick and take up all the time I spent money on talking, then I'll just stick with my 500 yard range where I can do as I please without being scrutinized.

I have no intention of taking the class from him, especially after all his yammering and time wasting. I know a few people that are friends with him and he is a great guy, just likes to talk. He shouldn't have a problem with auto guns, he had his M1A1 with acog strapped to his 4 wheeler and made some bold claim about its accuracy as men generally tend to do. He is an old marine corp guy though so he gets my respect for that and providing a good range.

Also, he buried cables right up the middle for the moving targets that are way out there. Miss into the dirt and you can break a cable. He fussed at me for 15 minutes about that and I was wanting to ask him why not just bury the cable along the outside of the range like anyone who gave it 5 minutes planning would do but I didn't want to set him off on another 30 minute speech.

Overall once we got to shooting he left us alone and it was a great range. He even has a tower to climb up and shoot from as well as some pistol stuff set up with falling plates and a texas star wheel. Give it a try once and see if you like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gunsite hills range is pretty nice. The owner is a bit of a nuisance though. When I went he wasted half my time talking then told my friends and I it was time for us to go when one of them made a bad shot and he got all mad because my friend didn't shoot at the right target. Its also $20 per day to shoot there. </div></div>

He'll also harass you if you take a semi rifle; so if you're going to go there, only take bolt guns. </div></div>

Really? ^ I heard "don't be late to a range session" but did not ask about taking the semi's there.

Also heard the range goes out to 750

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BSGGUNS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is not exactly the closest but have you seen the activity at Cool Acres Sporting Camp www.coolacressportingcamp.com ? Eric is an ex-Ranger and has set up a very cool range for 600 and 1000. He just had a NRA event this last weekend. </div></div>Wow, heard rumors of this in the works. Its not every day that you find out there is a good range that goes out to 1000 thats only 1 and 1/2 hours from your house... Nice

Shooting_Page3_copy.jpg
20.jpg