• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1000 yd spotting scope

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
For those of you that compete in matches with distances up to a 1000 yards, what spotting scope are you using? Just looking for input.

Re: 1000 yd spotting scope

Don't really think thats possible unless with the Hubble, I think at 1000 yard matches they have spotters in the pits. I think some folks are using wifi camera systems for 1000yard spotting.

Mark,

Thanks for the info. That is the kind of stuff that I am looking for. Models and the technique that you are using with it, like looking at the mirage at various distances. I do realize that you cannot see the bullet holes at that distance, but I do understand that there is a need to have more magnification than what I have with the scope.

Leica 77 APO with a 24 long eye relief.
If I where to do it again I'd go with either a Leica 65 compact of the Zeiss 65 compact.

Always with the 45, not straight.

HTH
alan

I was yesterday at the range and there was a guy that used to compete in 1000Yds, and I asked him what would be a good 1000yrd spotting scope, and he told me KOWA. Now I’m shopping for one.

Head wasn't knocking you, but some folks think its possible, now probably is with super optics but not ones we see around here. Folks see guys calling shots at 1000 with a spotting scope and assume the spotter is watching the target. I was lucky enough to get a unissued M49 with great glass for close in targets, I also have an older B&L 60x that I use on occasion.

Top Of The Line for 1,000 yds:

Zeiss Hensoldt Spotter 60 (20-60 X 72) $5,000
Spotter 60
Yes that is 5K, once you see it in person you will understand why people pay that much. It also has a FFP MilDot reticle which is great for spotter calls. Seeing the Rifle Scope and Spotting Scope in person and in use at 1,000 yards, they are freaking phenomenal.

Swarovski HD-ATS80 (20-60 x 80) $3,100
HD-ATS80 Body
20-60 Eyepiece
Phenomenal Glass! These are extremely bright and clear. Probably as good as the Zeiss, but lacks the FFP Mil Dot Reticle.

KOWA TSN-883 with Prominar Lens (20-60 x 88) $2,900
TSN-880 Body
20-60 Eyepiece
Very nice, some prefer the KOWA, some prefer the Swarovski. The Prominar/Fluorite Lens is what "makes" this scope very bright and clear.

If you can't justify that kind of money:
You could look at the KOWA TSN-880 with the standard lens, or the TSN-770 with the Prominar/Fluorite or standard Lens. You could also save some money with a fixed power eye piece.

If you are just looking for spotting disks at 1,000 yds, you will have no problem seeing them with 25x magnification.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

There is not enough money to be able to see bullet holes at 1,000 yards, unless the bullet is a 105 mm. Atmospheric turbulence gets in the way, the mirage is one artifact of atmospheric turbulence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was yesterday at the range and there was a guy that used to compete in 1000Yds, and I asked him what would be a good 1000yrd spotting scope, and he told me KOWA. Now I’m shopping for one. </div></div>

I used to compete in 1000 yard matches as well, but I use a Nikon Earth and Sky - because it worked.

Not as WELL as a Kowa but $500 cheaper than a Kowa and I saw my target, the trace, and the spotter just fine.

Just depends how much cash you want to blow - back then the Kowa's were not water proof so when it started raining everyone was crying....

I have had excellent results with my Pentax PF-80A-ED spotter out to 1000yds. I have both the 20-60x zoom eyepiece (don't use it all that often except for general observation), as well as a fixed XW10 (50x) eyepiece (stays on the scope almost constantly and is the best all-around eyepiece I have owned). 80mm glass, ED elements, fog and waterproof. The optical quality is excellent, color saturation/clarity is as good as scopes costing $500-1,000 more, and overall, you'd be hard pressed to beat it for around $1,000. I have used it side-by-side with comparable Zeiss, Kowa and Leica spotters costing MUCH more and there was little if any difference in the resolution/quality of the images (at least by my eyes).

Again, as folks have said, you aren't going to resolve bullet holes with any standard spotter at 1,000yds, but the Pentax will more than do the job for resolving scoring discs, spotting mirage, bullet trail, etc.

There is not a single spotting scope regardless of the $$$$$ you pay that will allow you to see bullet holes beyond 400 to 500 yds. Atmospheric conditions will not allow it. Now I own a Nikon 20-75X82 Field scope and will compete just as well with Swaroski, Leica, Kowa for about $1500 to $2000 less. The images are bright, crisp, clear and surprisingly enough maintains its brightness through out all the magnifications. I am able to see 22lr rimfire bullet holes at 200 yds in the black without a problem, using 25X magnifcation only, in 100 degree plus weather. It really has some great, great glass for under $1300. I paid $1100 for mine. When shooting at milk jugs at 500 yds I am able to see the bullet trace and help my brother compensate. It is great for reading mirage at those distances and farther. The only con I found on this scope is that it has a very short eye relief if you wear glasses.

If you are shooting on plain paper or a standard paper target, then you are correct, no spotter scope that I have heard of is going to show bullet holes at 1K.

Now if you are shooting at steel painted white, or a paper target with black/yellow shoot-n-sees on it, then you can see bullet strikes/holes through a decent spotter scope out to and beyond 1,500 yards. I do it all the time with my brother when he drives in from LA. We put up steel with a side board of shoot-n-see and you can easily see teh bullet holes and impacts from 1,500 yards (he uses a straight .284 winchester and I use a 7WSM so the holes are pretty small).

I'll not enter the debate of what spotter scope is "best", there are lots of very good ones out there. 6mmbr.com did a very good article and comparison of the top of teh line scopes about 18 months or 2 years ago. I have and love my Zeiss 85mm. I only wish I could get an eyepiece with a mildot or MOA based reticle in it. The 65mm yes, but not the 85.

JeffVN

When I was shooting 1000yd F Class, I didn't use a spotter, my scoring partner did that. I used my cheapo Tasco 6-24X42 Target/Varmint MilDot rifle scope, typically set at around 18x depending on mirage conditions, for both sighting and target scoring interpretation. It was clearly adequate to see and interpret the spotter and scoring disks in use down in the pits, even when the smaller spotter disks were in use. Bear in mind that this scope retails in the neighborhood of $80.

I talked to siebert optics the other day concerning their optics which I've heard are fantastic. And, I ask about any thing he could do for a spotting scope for lr hunting/shooting. I mentioned I shoot to 1k and further and he reccommended an ETX 90 and he would put in a stereo eye piece so I could use both eyes to see through the scope, and could do several dif. magnifications variables and fixed. I have also heard the optical quality of these are freaking ridiculous. possibly an options anybody heard of 'em??? O, and for a finished product delivered hes told me it would be under $1k

Siebert optics had a contract to make the M48 and M49 spotting scopes for a long time, my M49 made by the them has very nice glass according a local expert, who I had inspect it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was shooting 1000yd F Class, I didn't use a spotter, my scoring partner did that. I used my cheapo Tasco 6-24X42 Target/Varmint MilDot rifle scope, typically set at around 18x depending on mirage conditions, for both sighting and target scoring interpretation. It was clearly adequate to see and interpret the spotter and scoring disks in use down in the pits, even when the smaller spotter disks were in use. Bear in mind that this scope retails in the neighborhood of $80. </div></div>

Good point Greg - the ST-10 works for that as well, albeit you have to look closer but yeah, can be seen, saw spotters but when I wanted closer detail I went back to my 45x Nikon...

Yeah, I went and looked at these at SWFA--price is right up there with Swaro and Leica--are they even comparable? What makes them a great comp scope? They don't have reticles, do they?

I have shot many long range matches, and by far the most popular and best scope to have IMHO is the Kowa 821-M with the 27x long eye relief eyepiece.
You can save about 2000.00 by not buying the prolimar lens.

Yes, I have Siebert Optics binoviewers for the times I want to use both eyes to see through the mirage. Nice light and very affordable. Get their performance seriese eyepieces to go with the binoviewer for eye cutting sharp images. He also sells a power wheel which you rotate to change the magnification of the binoviewer.

He also sells eyepieces for binocular telescopes such as these:
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1356