• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1000 Yrd Laser Range Finder

gonfst

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2006
Houston, TX
I am looking for advise on a Laser Range Finder that will reliably range objects at 1000yrds. I now have a Nikon 600 that I am not impressed with. I have a hard time with objects out at 400 yrds. Here is my one caviat...I don't want to break the bank. Let's say +/- $500.

Re: 1000 Yrd Laser Range Finder

For your budget, Leica 1200 is the way to go like Ballistic said. IMHO, if you can find a used Swaro however, it may be a bit more but you can range further with it. I would say, sell your Nikon and combine that with your 500 dollars budget and you get yourself a Swaro.

I debated long and hard and purchased the swaro, no regrets it hurt at the time but I am glad i have it now.

The first Leica 1200 I had didn't work well so they replaced it. The 2nd is better but don't expect much at 1000 on anything. If you want something consistant at 1000 the Swaro is the best choice. If it is really worth it to you. I don't use one professionaly so the Leics is ok.

I had a nikon that broke after a little field use. Nikon warranty sucks. Also glass is dark if the sun isn't all the way out.

I have a leica 1200 now that works great. Great low light performance also.

The Leica 1200 is great for the money, I got mine from Doug at cameraland for well under $500.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug Kelley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Elite 1500. </div></div>

+1, if you can't find a used European LRF in your budget

I appreciate all of the insight. I think I have the ol' Nikon sold to a bowhunting buddy of mine. I was not aware of the Swaro, but at $1K new, I am going to have to monitor the used market. In the end, it sounds like the Leica is where I will end up.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug Kelley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell Elite 1500. </div></div>

+1 I am thinking of one for myself. Next step up would be the Zeiss Victory 8x26 T* PRF at $630.

I bought a Swaro and havent regretted it at all. Ive ranged a house at 1452yards with ease. Also ranged a barn 1140 yards. Its the best unit ive used so far. The only drawback is sometimes when its sunny out the round circle and numbers can be a little hard to read.

I have the Bush 1500 elite arc, dont use the holdovers it gives you but the inclinometer is still useful for calculating trajectories yourself.

I personally dont see why you would spend extra $ on Leica or Swaro when all youre really getting is better glass...thats what binos, spotters, and scopes are for. Its job is to find ranges and the Bush will keep up with if not surpass any of them in that area. If you have the money to spend sure go for it, but Id rather spend it elsewhere.

Just my opinion though. I wont lie the Bushnells optics are pretty bad, they spent the whole budget on the electronics which is a good thing.

personally dont see why you would spend extra $ on Leica or Swaro when all youre really getting is better glass...thats what binos, spotters, and scopes are for.

Its more than just glass. Yes the glass is very good, but its also the ranging ability. The swaro ranges extreme range pretty easily. I had a Leupold that had a hard time picking up on darker non reflective target at 300yds. I love my Swaro.

Except my Bushnell consistently ranges houses at 1450+, and trees at 1000-1100.

I definitely understand what good glass is like after using some NF and Zeiss scopes, but I dont feel spectacular glass is necessary in a LRF, just great electronics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personally dont see why you would spend extra $ on Leica or Swaro when all youre really getting is better glass...thats what binos, spotters, and scopes are for.

Its more than just glass. Yes the glass is very good, but its also the ranging ability. The swaro ranges extreme range pretty easily. I had a Leupold that had a hard time picking up on darker non reflective target at 300yds. I love my Swaro. </div></div>

+1 better ranging and better durability. Also, when it gets dark out it is hard to range with dark glass. You can't see what you are trying to shoot.

I've tried Leica, Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon and none of them have been able to consistantly range like the Swarovski.

All the others have problems when its bright sun. My Swaro hit a one mile 4' high stack of tires in the bright sunlight (around 2 pm). All the other's could not do it, they were barely able to make the 1000 yard target.

If I couldn't have the Swaro, I'd go with the Bushnell.

It sounds like the Bushnell has a pretty loyal following. It is definitely worth considering for the $. I think I need to organize a field test - then return and report. Surprisingly, the optics in my Nikon (I am a big fan of their camera gear) aren't that great and have made ranging things in low light or heavy tree cover very frustrating at times.