• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000yard FT/R World Championships with 23" barrel

cybersniper

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
Spain
www.cybersniper.com
I just returned from the Bisley FT/R (.308 WIN) 1000yard WORLD Championships. It was actually my first 1000 yard competition.

Everybody was impressed on how well, the INCREDIBLY short barrel Steyr, shot. They where astounded of the USO SN3 and SSG08 combination.
They wanted pictures with it, BUT most thought that it was just a BEAUTIFUL short range sniper rifle that WOULD barely make it to 1000yards.
WHAT A MISTAKE.
They said ”that USO scope is a beauty can I take a look” and then “ it is much brighter than my NIGHTFORCE” and they loved the tactical reticle. They said "who makes this nice little rifle"... Lots of pictures where taken..........

I had a terrible first day with a painful learning experience of the process of shooting and scoring by pairs, added to the heavy winds of Bisley, but on the second day on the 1000yards I placed 47 (of 70 World Class competitors) just under some FT/R champions with my SSG08/USO SN3.

Cant wait to get a longer barrel!!!

Best of all, the groups where around 1 MOA in elevation and the lack of points always came from the wind pushing the slow bullet out of the V-ring.

YES !!!!

TACTICAL LESSON LEARNED:
The SN3 and 23” barrelled SSG08 (.308) can shoot a human target at 914m with around 90% reliability.

FT/R LESSON LEARNED:
Even as a target rifle it can do well, specially up to 600 yards.

From all the shots taken (around 120 practice plus 105 competition) most went into 1 MOA elevation. In windage, about ten or so went out of the 3 ring (3 MOA) most on the 4 and five ( 2 MOA and 1 MOA). The problem was when the wind changed in gusts, in those conditions the guys shooting 3000fps got a 4 i got a 1.

Very impressive for a gun with 23” inch barrel and 1,6KG trigger, shooting RWS competition boxed ammo (155 Sierra Palma) !!!!!!!!!!!

Fighting against custom rifles with 30 or 32” barrels, 2 oz triggers and reloads.

IM VERY HAPPY, I have a lot to learn and improve but the basics are there.......

Im hooked to this fine sport

Eduardo

FILE0651smallSSGvsLONGbarrelPACK.jpg

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss282/REALcybersniper/FILE0612small-BradSauveRIfle.jpg

Re: 1000yard FT/R World Championships with 23" barrel

I'm looking at the official scores and I see that for the 1000 yard day 1, you placed 56th out of 67 with a 47.1v and on day 2 you placed 46th out of 66 with a 63.1v for an aggregate total of 110.2v and 51th place out of 67. It seems that for the total aggregate of day 1 and 2 for 800, 900 and 1000 yards you came in 59th out of 67 with a grand total of 340.5v out of a possible 600. Well done.

The top score was Russell Simmonds of Great Britain with 437.23v. The top US shooter was Stan Pate with a grand aggregate of 430.25v.

Congratulations to all.

You learned the first lesson of championship; show up and compete. I'm sure it was a great experience for you.

LOL....great picture of your shorty next to the loooong rifle.

Good Shooting.

J

Thanks for your kind comments
It was very hard with my bullet speed and lack of flag reading knowledge.
I will improve next time.
Eduardo
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the official scores and I see that for the 1000 yard day 1, you placed 56th out of 67 with a 47.1v and on day 2 you placed 46th out of 66 with a 63.1v for an aggregate total of 110.2v and 51th place out of 67. It seems that for the total aggregate of day 1 and 2 for 800, 900 and 1000 yards you came in 59th out of 67 with a grand total of 340.5v out of a possible 600. Well done.

The top score was Russell Simmonds of Great Britain with 437.23v. The top US shooter was Stan Pate with a grand aggregate of 430.25v.

Congratulations to all.

You learned the first lesson of championship; show up and compete. I'm sure it was a great experience for you. </div></div>

How fast the bullet goes from your 23" barrel? RWS tells 2920fps from 30" barrel, but I think it will be significantly slower from your barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ares</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How fast the bullet goes from your 23" barrel? RWS tells 2920fps from 30" barrel, but I think it will be significantly slower from your barrel </div></div>
I get around 2730fps, very slow for FT/R standards......
Eduardo

Nooooooooooooo!!! I hate it when "wankers" out shoot us!!

Well... gotta say my NF NXS is plenty bright when I turn the magnfication *down* to the realm of an SN3...
wink.gif

Eduardo & Jose did fine, all things considered. Jose had a pretty fine score @ 1k the first day with his TRG-22 & factory ammo. That and they brought some damn fine Spanish ham to the Guests Reception!
wink.gif

As far as the GB shooters... trust me, they earned every point they got. Pretty decent folk as far as I'm concerned!

Monte

If you post a slightly smaller picture those of us without widescreen monitors would be able to read your post as well .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nooooooooooooo!!! I hate it when "wankers" out shoot us!! </div></div>

LOL...don't look at the F Open scores then....

Gents,

The new open F class World Champ is a member on the Hide. If you look at all the scores, Individual and team you'll see he did pretty good - something like 55% of all shots V bulls.

English

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: English</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents,

The new open F class World Champ is a member on the Hide. If you look at all the scores, Individual and team you'll see he did pretty good - something like 55% of all shots V bulls.

English </div></div>
My salute to an awesome shooter After fighting the wind and being happy with my performance...I saw his ... what a frustating feel.
Hes a hell of a shot and a guy to learn from. How much I wished he allowed me to shoot for some days with him and learn from him.
I though I was a hell of a shot until I saw what these guys do !!!
I have a lot to learn
Congrats for the UK team and to the US team too.
Eduardo

I would be happy just to place anything but last at that range. I have to be honest and say I really don't know where to start on getting a 1000yard weapon.

I would be happy just to place anything but last at that range. I have to be honest and say I really don't know where to start on getting a 1000yard weapon.

JasonM,

It's not that complicated... pretty much .308 anything, combined with a decent scope 10x or above. The more specialized the weapon is for long distance and/or target work, the barrel starts getting longer (30-32"), and the scope starts getting bigger (30-40x magnification or more). But a whole lot of combinations of shorter barrels and smaller scopes will work to get you on paper just fine - they just may not get you the last nth bit of competitive edge. The flip side is you start getting a tool for a very specific task, and start losing a lot of the versatility that many people value so much in a .308 Win.

Short version... if you're just starting out with long-range, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Grab a .308 Win, nearly any load other than S168MKs, and go shoot. You'll figure it out from there
wink.gif

Monte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JasonM,

It's not that complicated... pretty much .308 anything, combined with a decent scope 10x or above. The more specialized the weapon is for long distance and/or target work, the barrel starts getting longer (30-32"), and the scope starts getting bigger (30-40x magnification or more). But a whole lot of combinations of shorter barrels and smaller scopes will work to get you on paper just fine - they just may not get you the last nth bit of competitive edge. The flip side is you start getting a tool for a very specific task, and start losing a lot of the versatility that many people value so much in a .308 Win

Short version... if you're just starting out with long-range, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Grab a .308 Win, nearly any load other than S168MKs, and go shoot. You'll figure it out from there
wink.gif

Monte </div></div>

Monte:
I fully agree with you. I wanted to find out if i could shoot decent scores with my tactical 308 setup and... HELL YES, I can.
If you want to win then you will need a very precise setup, but if you want to step up on your marksmanship and have fun, any VERY GOOD commercial 308 will do.
the longer the barrel the better.
Eduardo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you post a slightly smaller picture those of us without widescreen monitors would be able to read your post as well . </div></div>
SORRY
How much smaller???
I´ll do better the nexy time
ed

Ed,

Not sure, figured you'd already resized it? Usually 800x600 makes for a good 'max' for online viewing - any bigger and it starts making things wrap funny.

Take care, and hope to see you in 2011 in Ireland...

Monte

It's not the picture that is too big, you need to put a few lines after it and before the link to the other picture, that's what's causing the problem.