• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1000yd 308 Shot. How much MOA Adjust?

Re: 1000yd 308 Shot. How much MOA Adjust?

I need 39.5 with a 15 moa base so at least 55 or so up. That would lead me to think you'd need a total of 110

With a 100yd ZERO, depending on the load and conditions, about 40moa. So with a flat base, you'll need at least 80moa total elevation travel (probably a bit more actually).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a 100yd ZERO, depending on the load and conditions, about 40moa.</div></div>

So does this mean I need a scope that has 80 MOA of internal adjustments? If I get a 20 MOA Rail does that mean the scope needs 60 MOA of internal adjustments?

You have to start by your rifle zero. Then just dial all the elevation up outta the scope (keep track so you can return to zero) and that will tell you how much your setup has. Then depending on bullet weight and speed, I've seen anywhere from 28moa to 38moa. It just really depends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to start by your rifle zero. Then just dial all the elevation up outta the scope (keep track so you can return to zero) and that will tell you how much your setup has. Then depending on bullet weight and speed, I've seen anywhere from 28moa to 38moa. It just really depends.</div></div>

Yeah I understand that, but that doesnt help me figure out what the correct amount of necessary internal adjustments should be when BUYING a scope.

Get a scope with atleast 65MOA of internal adjustment and put it on a 20 MOA base. If you plan on using a flat base then 80 MOA minimum.

You also have to remember that if you have to use windage to zero you can lose some of the internal elevation. That is why it's better to have more than just at the limit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a 100yd ZERO, depending on the load and conditions, about 40moa.</div></div>

So does this mean I need a scope that has 80 MOA of internal adjustments? If I get a 20 MOA Rail does that mean the scope needs 60 MOA of internal adjustments? </div></div>

Basically. It's better to actually have a bit more travel (like 65moa) so you're not near the bottom of travel (you loose windage and elevation travel can get hinky).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depends on the scope and how much total adjustment you have to begin with. i am shooting 208 amaxes from my 308 at 2575 fps and it takes 32 moa to get to 1000 yards. </div></div>

Hmmmmm..... 208 Amax at 2575fps.....

Been thinking about those pills, how's that working for you? Would you mind sharing your load data, twist rate, and length of barrel, very curious?

Thanks,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a scope with atleast 65MOA of internal adjustment and put it on a 20 MOA base. If you plan on using a flat base then 80 MOA minimum.

You also have to remember that if you have to use windage to zero you can lose some of the internal elevation. That is why it's better to have more than just at the limit. </div></div>

This.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a 100yd ZERO, depending on the load and conditions, about 40moa. So with a flat base, you'll need at least 80moa total elevation travel (probably a bit more actually). </div></div>
The "bit more" is about 5 MOA. So, worst case, you will need 90 MOA total internal travel without a canted base. With a 100-yard zero shooting 308Win, you would get 40 MOA of up elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You also have to remember that if you have to use windage to zero you can lose some of the internal elevation.</div></div>
I did not know this could you explain.

The internals of scope have more travel when they are directly in the center of the scope tube. Image a 4" ring with a 2" ball inside of it. As long as you move the ball along the center line of the ring you get the maximum travel distance. If you move the ball either way of the center line but move the ball parallel to the center line then shorten the amount of travel that it can move. Maybe this is clear as mud.

In layman's terms the scope is essentially a tube within a tube. The inner tube is called the erector, it moves up, down, and side to side within the scope's main tube based on the movement of the elevation and windage knobs. Depending on the amount of internal travel, size of the erector tube, and the size of the main tube, if the erector is pushed far enough to one side it won't have as much room to go up and down. This works the opposite way too, if you move the erector far enough up or down, it won't have as much room to move from side to side without hitting the inside of the main tube. I hope this helps explain things a little bit.

Ah........some of the experts can correct me if I'm wrong but.....a canted base changes where your zero is or your starting point. It has nothing to do with how many MOA are required to reach a certain distance.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah........some of the experts can correct me if I'm wrong but.....a canted base changes where your zero is or your starting point. It has nothing to do with how many MOA are required to reach a certain distance.

okie </div></div>
I'm no expert, but you've got the gist of it. The use of a 20 MOA base "shifts" the scope's travel from the bottom of the adjustment range to the top of the adjustment range by 20 MOA. In effect, you're borrowing 20 MOA from the bottom end and using it on the top.

And "No", using a canted base has nothing to do with how many MOA or MILs' you need to reach a specific distance - if you need 14 MOA to reach 600 yards from a 100 yard zero a 20 MOA base won't change that. <span style="font-style: italic">However, due to the the afore-mentioned adjustment range shift the use of a canted base does allow a given rifle/scope combo to reach farther out.</span>

Keith

I'm not an expert but a sloped base does not change your 'up' to get to 1,000. It just changes your starting point inside the scope.

If you live in Leadville, CO(10,000ASL) on a nice sunny day with 175SMK's you only need like 32 MOA up from 100 yards

Yeah guys, I was being sarcastic by putting that in question form. I was just amazed that it took almost 2 pages of people giving "advise" for this to be pointed out!

okie

dmg264 ..... trigger monkey

Thanks I guess I never gave it much thought but it makes sense.

thanks again