• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 1014 yards with a 260

dk-1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
Central, Ca.
Short video of my 260 getting it done at 1014 yards today. Missed my cold bore and had to come up .2 mils, then it was these four consecutive hits. Measured 6 inches, mostly all vertical. All shots were taken using the cab of a pickup as a rest to get over the vegetation. Sorry for mediocre quality video, I had to record it from my tv onto my iPhone to upload it. My wifi wasn't good enough to load directly from my camera.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z61E9ez7QUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nice shooting mate..my 260 only tried 500yd i cant wait to try this distance..mind sharing load and what rifle?

I have shot a 24" .260 successfully to 1Km (posted as 1123yd) using 139Scenars in an overly hot load. My subsequently typical 1Kyd load used either 142SMK or 140 A-Max, running around 2850fps in a 28" barrel.

Greg

Good shooting Greg. You thought about the 140 vld ?? That's all I run in my creedmor and its lights out. Best shot to date: spray paint can on top of the ar500 plate at 1100 yards. Lucky. No, very lucky shot. Any hoo good group!

These days, venues longer than 250yd are outside my travel radius (Wife and I both have significant health issues, and I don't like having us more than an hour's travel away from each other). That's why my 28" .260 barrel is dismounted and the rifle runs a 22" .30BR barrel. VLD's have always tempted, but 142SMK's and 140 A-Max's have always (until lately) been available off the shelf locally, and always worked at least as well as I could shoot.

My current .260 is a Savage model 10 Predator Hunter, and it doesn't see anywhere near enough use these days. We had frost last night, and I expect it to be another day or two before I venture back out with any chance of getting away to the range.

thee days I'm sighting in newly (Scout) scoped Mosin-Nagant 91/30's (3 of them), and a new Mossberg 5.56 MVP predator.

Greg

Last edited:
nice shooting mate..my 260 only tried 500yd i cant wait to try this distance..mind sharing load and what rifle?

Load:
140 VLD
46.4 gr RL22
Rem brass
CCI BR2
.010 from lands

Rifle:
Rem 700 action
Krieger 5r 1:8, #18
Mcm A3, pillar bedded
Timney trigger
Leupold MK6

This load is right around 2830 FPS from my 23" barrel. It took 8.1 mils to get on target. My first (cold/clean bore) shot was perfectly centered, just a bit low with 7.9 mils. My last group at 996 yards measured 4", but it was shot from prone on the ground. I meant to include the shooting platform in the video, but forgot. You can get the idea by looking at the shadows in the bottom left corner of the image when I panned the camera out. This rifle/bullet/powder combo has been great for me, 1.445" group at 540 yards, 1.15" groups at 350 yards, etc. it seems to hover around .25-.5 MOA no matter what the distance or conditions.