• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 103 ELD-X on coyotes, deer

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I have had/am having awesome results this winter with the 105 Amax on coyotes. Since the areas I hunt are wide open, and shots can vary from close to way the hell out there, I'm using a 6 x 47 Lapua instead of a 22 CF. (I have/ am considering a 22 Creedmoor w/75-80 grain bullets, but haven't jumped into that particular rabbit hole... YET.

At any rate, the question is have you gotten similar results/performance/expansion from the 103 grain hornady as the old 105 Amax... which I am conserving until my supply runs out. Would also be interested in performance on deer as well. Thanks

Dibbs,
    The girls shoot 108 ELD for coyotes and Deer in the 6's. Never had an issue...

Reactions: DIBBS
    Only have experience with the 108s (6x47L) on coyotes…may damage coat 😁

Attachments

• 318F6BB6-B670-497A-8AE5-36AB384E6E24.jpeg
      318F6BB6-B670-497A-8AE5-36AB384E6E24.jpeg
      426.7 KB · Views: 188
    • Haha
    Reactions: xsn10s and DIBBS
    I run 105 bthp on coyotes out of a 243AI around 3150. The amaxes were good though. The bthp tend to result in a little less fur damage. They still blow big holes quite a bit, but not like the amaxes did. Coyotes are just as dead.

The 108 ELDM is going to be closer to the 105 Amax as far as terminal performance goes. You can think of the ELD-M's like heavy V-maxs... Thin jacket combined with immediate expansion initiated by the tip.

The ELD-X's of similar weight/caliber have thicker jackets and will typically produce a smaller diameter temporary/permanent cavity, but will penetrate deeper and not totally fragment in the process. How much tear down and fragmentation obviously depends on impact velocity.

Reactions: DIBBS
    I took my PRS rifle in the 6mm gay tiger to a friends to clean up some rabbits. The 108gn ELD-M that I normally shoot in matches worked fine on the rabbits. I think it would work well on coyotes, but as noted it will do some damage.