• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

105 AMAX moly wont shoot in my .243

joebino55

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Ft Benning, Georgia
I normally shoot 105 AMAX bullets in my 243 and it has shot under .4 MOA at 100 yards once I found a good load. I recently bought 800 moly coated 105 AMAX bullets off of a member here not knowing they were moly coated. Well I decided to keep them and give them a try rather than send them back. The load I shoot with non moly 105 AMAX is 45.5 grains of Vihtavuori N160, Remington brass, CCI BR2 primers. I seat them .010" off the lands.

With the moly bullets I started at 45.2 gr and worked up to 46.7 gr (in .3gr increments) where I started seeing pressure. I tried seating them .010", .020" and even stuck them into the lands. Nothing I have tried has yielded anything better than 1 MOA groups at 100 yards.

Everything I have read or been told is that moly bullets reduce pressure so you will have to increase your powder charge to make up for it. At least that's what I gathered. Does anyone think it would be any use trying to work down to see if accuracy improves? Or try a different powder? I'm all out of ideas and this is my first experience with moly coated bullets.

The rifle is a Remington 700, trued action, 243Win match chamber, 26" Krieger gain twist barrel from 1:8.75 to 8.3. I mainly use it to shoot F class.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Re: 105 AMAX moly wont shoot in my .243

Number of rounds through your barrel??? Barrel life in a 243 is not exactly one of it's strong suits.

Clean the moly off the bullets. A couple of hours in the tumbler with car polish and they will be as naked as a jay-bird. JMHO

I think I may give that a shot. Thanks for the idea
smile.gif

Soak em in some isopropyol alcohol, wont take very long.

Moly can change barrel time, and therefore accuracy.

Plastic jar inside the tumbler keeps the tumbler clean, if it is a tumbler and not vibratory......

I guess it would be a lot easier to remove the moly because then I know they will shoot, rather then keep trying to develop an accurate load. I may be out of bullets or have a shot out barrel by that time.

Well I just tossed them in the vibratory tumbler with some corn media and polishing compund. It worked pretty good as the only place you can tell there was ever any moly is the area around the plastic tip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sparky50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moly can change barrel time, and therefore accuracy.

Plastic jar inside the tumbler keeps the tumbler clean, if it is a tumbler and not vibratory...... </div></div>
Moly has nothing do with accuracy, good or bad.