• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

105 Hybrid Vs 108 BT Target

warnera1102

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
It appears there is alot of want for the 105 Hybrid but besides the BC what benefit has everyone wanting the 105 Hybrid over the 108 BT Target which seems to be more available? I am using the 108 BT in a 6CM , working up a load was very easy.

People love a known quantity - the 105 Hybrids have a cult following.

I've never used the 108 BT's, but I'm sure they are a great projectile. If they shoot, they shoot.

BC is nice, but consistency is more key. The difference between BC in the 108 BT and 105 Hybrid is practically negligible for most of our purposes.

I'm stocked up on 105 Hybrids at the moment, but if I wasn't, I sure wouldn't hesitate to try out this specific projectile.

What velocity did you use for that wind difference?
I'm seeing no difference in a 108 @ 2980 vs a 105 @3050.
I'm not sure if the 105 velocity above is typical so that's why I asked.

What velocity did you use for that wind difference?
I'm seeing no difference in a 108 @ 2980 vs a 105 @3050.
I'm not sure if the 105 velocity above is typical so that's why I asked.

I went straight to the Berger calculator and ran them both at 2850, default inputs except a 10mph/9 o clock wind.

If you’re running numbers and the faster bullet with a better BC is coming up with the same wind call, you should double check your inputs.

A while ago, I started to run out of 105 hybrids but I found a bunch of 108 BT for sale. I switched. There was no appreciable difference whatsoever between the two. Same load, same minimum group size, same consistency down range. For that barrel and that combination of components, for me, they were completely interchangeable. To be fair, I don’t shoot for groups beyond 100 yards. Everything beyond that is steel plates.

Reactions: lash and kthomas
Its not just the BC that matters, There are a few reasons the 105 and 109s are the most desirable.

They are hybrid Ogives. This means they are very jump insensitive. You can pretty much jump them from jam to .150 and they will shoot great. As the throat wears, you don't have to chase seating depth. They are very consistent bullet to bullet on BC.

The actual BC matters much less, since most are shooting KD and can calculate their wind values and bracket beforehand.

There are hunting bullets that use the hybrid. A wise person would look at them before the traditional target or boat tail. They are essentially the same bullet with a different thickness jacket.

108's are easier to to tune, when the throat grows and you haven't re checked the bullet oal, they will probably still shoot very good, very long bearing surface gives a lot of flexability when the throat does grow.

Reactions: warnera1102
108's are easier to to tune, when the throat grows and you haven't re checked the bullet oal, they will probably still shoot very good, very long bearing surface gives a lot of flexability when the throat does grow.
This is what I saw over the 800 rounds, I never adjusted anything using the 108s while the jump grew.
I guess I'm debating if it's worth switching next time items become available.