• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10fcp-k 308

showlow50

Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
AZ,navajo country
Just bought my first bolt gun in eight years. I have been reading the reviews on this fourm for a while and with my budget i picked the savage to get my feet wet. I now need your help to pick a base and rings.I would like a 20 moa base,If any members have bases or rings new or used i would like to hear from you. Thanks for your help. I bought it for 707.00 plus 15.00 shipping on GB.

Re: 10fcp-k 308

Great choice,
That was my first .308 Mine had the McMillan stock. I sold it to buy my .308 5R, now I wish that I had it so I could make a .260 on a budget.
The barrel was a "copper collector" but it sure could shoot.
Good luck and enjoy.
SScott

Thanks I looked at the 10fcp with the mcmillian stock but I wanted the brake and fluted barrel,also i saved enough to get a better stock if i don't like the accurstock.

Egw 20moa base and Burris XTR tactical low rings.
You got a lot of rifle for the money. I bought one but have since removed the brake, stock, and trigger. Removed the brake because you can't use them in competition. Removed the stock because it sucks for shooting prone. Removed the accutrigger because it kept jamming and it wont go below about 2 pounds.
If you can't get the rifle to group or get random fliers it is likely due to the accustock wedge against the recoil lug. I ultimately found that the only real fix was to remove it and do a traditional bedding.
Also, only use the cheapo ammo for warming up or pre-fouling the barrel. These guns demand match ammo otherwise.

I picked up the lefty version but it STILL hasnt arrived over here (aussie customs laws are a bitch). Good to hear im not the only one as it was a great entry level Longrange rifle.

I too plan to add a McMillan stock later in the picture or perhaps the new ACIS if it ever comes out.

Edit.
I've bought an EGW 20MOA base for mine, you want the new model Round Back one.
I plan to use Seekins rings on mine, for a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50mm FFP Tactical.

I received a 10 FLCP-K about 9 months ago, the advice I'd give you is after you get a scope mounted to your liking...just shoot the thing for a while.

I haven't changed anything on mine, shot it in two F Class competitions, high point in one, second in the other (they were large regional clubs 600 yard comps but the brake did not have to come off as they weren't sanctioned for national standings).

Here is something you can print out; it differs from the manual,
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...675#Post1609675

Enjoy that new rifle!

Thanks for the feed back. Midway has the B$C stock on sale this month and I was thinking about it. I read that I should still bed the mcmillan stock if i picked it to put on the fcp-k. I have a place to shoot to 600yds where i live and can't wait to get the parts and start shooting.

Thanks MSG Janoski for the link I will print it out and use it if i have any trouble with the accurstock. Now where to go for the best price on the EGW base?

Found the EGW base on midway for 39.99 but they had a heavy duty one for 64.99, is the hevy duty one the way to go for the money?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: showlow50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found the EGW base on midway for 39.99 but they had a heavy duty one for 64.99, is the hevy duty one the way to go for the money? </div></div>

I haven't had any issue with the standard EGW base. The heavy duty base is still made from aluminum so I doubt you would notice much difference.

I second the Burris XTR rings. Their low is equal to other manufactures mediums.

I want to thank you all for the good advice. I have been doing 3 gun for about 4 years now and realy like it,but since i have been around this forum i am starting to cross over to the dark side.

You can get the factory mags from midway. Aftermarket high capacity mags are either going to be expensive or need to be ordered from sharpshooter supply, Wichita means waiting for several months like I have been.

Thanks for the info on sharpshooters supply bodywerks. Now I will have to work overtime to buy the new parts, did I say thanks?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: showlow50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info on sharpshooters supply bodywerks. Now I will have to work overtime to buy the new parts, did I say thanks?
grin.gif
</div></div>
Don't worry. You'll have plenty of time to save up. I've been 'doing business' with them since June but have yet to receive a product - have had two bolt handles, two magazines, and a custom stock on order from them for nearly three months!

I saw your coments on savage trigers, do I need to get on the waiting list for a comp triger from sharpshooters? by the way I found some 208 bullets to day and will put some rounds to gether for the new rifle.

Not for the trigger unless the dealers are sold out. I got both of mine here:
http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Competition-Trigger.html
They show out of stock right now, which is probably because they have the best dealer price. Brownells also sells them but they will bend you over. The plus to that is that they are probably always in stock because they are so over priced. It might not hurt to call them about it to see if you can get a more fair price.
You might also be able to get on direct from SSS but good luck getting a hold of them and they don't have an online store.

$25 more, but if you want it now...
http://www.brownells.com/mobile/aspx/search/product.aspx?pid=7389
Btw, it is not a direct replacement for the fcp-k because of the bolt release in the trigger guard and because its an accutrigger model. The mod for the accutrigger is in their instructions and is a 3 minute job with a dremel. The mod for the bolt release is a bit more extensive and there are no instructions. But I came up with a solution and posted some pics around here or on another site. Its just a bit of dremel work but a bit tedious. Trust me though, the trigger is worth the effort. If you decide to go this route shoot me a pm and ill find those pics for ya and help out however I can.

Well it finally came in I have been doing some load work up with 168 SMK and just got in some 175 SMK. I have just shot the best group in my life. 168 SMK 44 gr Varget win brass cci 250 primer. 400 yds about 2" but only 4 rounds. Went out to day same load but 3.5" 5 rounds. I guess if it was easy every body would be doing it. COL was 2.805. Any fcp shooters have a good load for the 175 SMK or 208 amax. I found a box of 208s. I want to again thank all of the sniper hide members who have helped me with my new gun.P.S I bought some R17 for the 208s.

the model 10 accutrigger will goto 1.5 pounds and the target accutrigger will go to 6 ounces if you want. SSS has me on a list too for 3 of the 9 rounders. i was told august, now its september. only one around so i wait...

For the 175smks I use 43.9g of varget, federal primers, lapua brass, and a coal of 2.810". Running about 2745fps...
But my go-to load right now is 46.5g of varget pushing the 155 Scenars at 2920. I use these out to 1,000 yards with great success.

In my FCP-K the most accurate 175gr SMK load was 43.1 of IMR 4895 a 2.810". Starting to get kinda hot ... but crazy accurate. Haven't tried the larger Amaxes yet. Overall it seemed the SMKs (168 and 175) are more accurate running hot, while Amaxes seem more accurate with cooler loads. I dunno.

I gotta try some Varget once my IMR is used up. Considering how little I get to shoot lately it will be a long time.
frown.gif

Varget is the most popular powder for me.I use it in both my ar 15,ar10 and now my fcp-k. You realy need to try some. Thanks for your input.

I have also had good luck with the smk's over imr4064. It is practically a dead ringer for varget in cooler temps. The only problem with it is its a longer stick powder so it meaters even worse than the varget, and it also takes up more space in the cases - with the 155's I am already compressing the varget...

Got a question about my new fcp-k about every third round it does not want to fully eject the brass. The bolt head is clean.

Make sure the extractor and ejector pin isn't sticking and that the extractor slides freely. Its easy to disassemble to clean as well - just watch for flying parts!

I know what you mean about flying parts I almost launched the little steel ball in to orbit. Thanks for the advice.