• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10MM Hand Loads and Dillon 550 Setup

neeltburn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2013
South Western Indiana
A while back I gave up on loading 10mm with Hi Skor 800-X as my Dillon 550B wouldn't meter that powder well. I have loaded a boat load of 10mm with titegroup on this press as well as many thousands of other calibers. ( 40SW 45ACP and 9mm) I just feel like I am leaving a lot of the table with titegroup and the 10mm. I have a few lbs of 800-X I would like to revisit. Is there anything I can do to the Dillon to help with metering of 800-X? or should I look at finding a better powder for the 10mm?

Looks like you won't have many options on that 800-X

A separate auto-throw/scale and funnel may be your best option if you want speed+accuracy

A while back I gave up on loading 10mm with Hi Skor 800-X
Good idea IMO.
or should I look at finding a better powder for the 10mm?
HS-6.. JUST-RIGHT burning rate, and, in contrast to 'Hi-FLASH' 800-X, it's VERY low in muzzleflash.
#31-17-2_3000w, labeled_1280w.jpg

#31-37-3_3000w, labeled_1280w.jpg

Pics are mine; I did a LOT of research on this.

Is there anything I can do to the Dillon to help with metering of 800-X? or should I look at finding a better powder for the 10mm?

Not sure what shape 800X is.
Things that have helped with extruded powders:
1. Polish the funnel and all the insides you can access. (Steel wool and then flitz or dremel with felt wheel.)
2. Stone and polish the sides and inside of the powder bar.
3. Use a taper reamer to open up the top of the powder funnel/expander then polish. (Not too deep.)
4. Add a spring or rubber band around the hopper and the "tab" on the powder bar to smooth out the stroke.

Not sure what shape 800X is.
Things that have helped with extruded powders:
1. Polish the funnel and all the insides you can access. (Steel wool and then flitz or dremel with felt wheel.)
2. Stone and polish the sides and inside of the powder bar.
3. Use a taper reamer to open up the top of the powder funnel/expander then polish. (Not too deep.)
4. Add a spring or rubber band around the hopper and the "tab" on the powder bar to smooth out the stroke.
800- x is very large round disk/ flake powder

If you want to load 10mm to it's full potential then skip HS6, it is too fast. My 180gr handloads go 1400fps with Longshot out of a G20.

Reactions: neeltburn
Been loading 10mm for a long time. Early on tried 800x but it meters like corn flakes. Used Longshot with good velocity results but pressure climbs really quick near max charges. About a year ago I tried Be-86 and I'm very happy with it. Velocity is as good as 800x and Longshot but meters better and seems to be lower pressure. It's less expensive than Longshot. PowerPistol works good too but it's pretty flashy.

I usually just stick a little funnel in the powder die, no thrower, tweak the charge master settings for 800x and dump it right in at the top of the downstroke.

It's a little slower obviously, but using 800x I've not found anything better. It's nice to feel sure the powder is right when you're loading hot, especially with cornflake powder.

Reactions: neeltburn
I usually just stick a little funnel in the powder die, no thrower, tweak the charge master settings for 800x and dump it right in at the top of the downstroke.

It's a little slower obviously, but using 800x I've not found anything better. It's nice to feel sure the powder is right when you're loading hot, especially with cornflake powder.
This is likely the option I will go with to use up the 800x I have