• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 10mm target rounds

Billk65

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2009
Bridgman, MI
I just bought a Colt 10mm and want to know what opinions are for best target rounds, bullet weight is my main curiosity. I will most likely hand load as store bought 10mm is rather expensive.

Re: 10mm target rounds

I have 155 and 180 XTP's that work great for SD rounds, the 155's are almost gone and I'm transitioning into the 180's completely.

I have used 200 XTP and 210 hard cast for hunting bullets. They work really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For SD...180's
For Hunting...200's </div></div>
This what I use also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For SD...180's
For Hunting...200's </div></div>
Which bullet do you use? (200 gr) I got a 10 mm and am loading 180 Gold Dots, The 175 Silvertips shoot real good too but $10.00 more for just the heads.. Not much of a pistol man but would like to kill something with it this year.
BILLK65, There is someone in the F/S forum that has pulled 180 FN'S for sale. Looked to be good bullets to shoot with.

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered some 180's to shoot and get used to the gun. have wanted one of these Delta's for awhile can't wait to get it and shoot.

For good 10mm loads you must reload. All the store bought ammo other than a few companys (buffalo bore/double tap) are very mild loadings something close to the charge for a .40S&W. I bought a G20 and some Rem. UMC 10mm rounds to shoot. I shot some and begun to reload some of the cases with a midline change weight out of my speer manual. Under 180grXTP's and the reloaded ammo was a surprize when I fired the first one off. A lot hotter round than the UMC stuff.

If you can get in touch with him Chadtrg42 custom reloads have 10mm ammo. Sould be good stuff but his been hard to contact hear latly.

When you say your pistol is a Colt I'm going to make the assumption that it's a Delta Elite. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is due to owning one years ago. The factory barrel had a not completely supported chamber. All my brass had a bulge just above the rim. It took a pretty hard tug on the Dillon handle to resize it. I ended up replacing the barrel with a Bar-Sto, problem solved. I loved the 180 gr. Gold Dots. I used to use Blue Dot pretty much exclusively.

It's a great cartridge IMO. If a deer or hog walked under my stand and I had it with me, I certainly wouldn't hesitate.

I've used Blue Dot with my 10mm's as well, but 800X is WAY, WAY better...for performance, anyway.

For a 180 montana gold JHP, 12gr of Blue Dot gave me ~1250fps and some ridiculous flash/recoil.

Same bullet with 10.5gr IMR 800X gave 1450fps with almost no flash and definitely less recoil.

Yes it is a Delta Elite, I will have to keep an eye on the cases. I had not read that anywhere about them so thanks for the heads up.

I use Titegroup for my 9mm loads, has anyone tried that for 10mm? It seems in the Hodgdon guide it is a lot less powder for the velocity.

Im using 180gr Rainiers for plinking.I dont run them to fast or you'll get jacket separation from what I've heard.I use 200xtp's for my hunting load.

After doing some research on the 800X I think I am going there to get good velocity and lower pressure. turbo54 are you seeing any pressure signs with the 10.5gr? The books all list 8.7gr as max, I know this is a safety issue with them but that is a big jump.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For good 10mm loads you must reload. All the store bought ammo other than a few companys (buffalo bore/double tap) are very mild loadings something close to the charge for a .40S&W. I bought a G20 and some Rem. UMC 10mm rounds to shoot. I shot some and begun to reload some of the cases with a midline change weight out of my speer manual. Under 180grXTP's and the reloaded ammo was a surprize when I fired the first one off. A lot hotter round than the UMC stuff.

If you can get in touch with him Chadtrg42 custom reloads have 10mm ammo. Sould be good stuff but his been hard to contact hear latly. </div></div>
I noticed that with the factory rounds. I was disappointed when I touched it off(Factory Loads). I reloaded some Gold Dots and was impressed when I shot it again. BIG Difference. Bill, Try some AA#9. Shoots real good and I got good velocity through the chrony. I have a 1006 Smith and put a stronger recoil spring in it. It was throwing brass about 30 ft.

I see alot of great load selections in the above posts. Just one more to consider especially for SD. You dont have to worry about the 17" of penetration you get with the heavier bullets plus you get an outrageous temp and perm wound channel/cavity.

1,530 fps
135gr JHP Sierra or similar brand of your liking
10.6 gr Power Pistol
Suggested starting load: 9.5 gr
Fed 150 primer
and hold on to your socks!!!!
Glock 20 test gun

135gr stops at 11" opens to .77" and the 200gr goes for 19" and opens to .96"

10% ballistic gelatin provided by Vyse gelatin using all FBI protocols and 4 layers of denim and two layers of light cotton T-shirt in front of the gelatin.

All reloads (or double tap in a bind). You might as well buy a 25 auto if your gonna buy those pathetic 10mm factory loads. I wonder why they stopped loading the way they should/used to.

For general plinking use, but at upper mid-range velocities for the 180gn bullet-weight, I've used Berry's 180gn FMJ pills. The FPS run in the 1250fps range using AA#7. DT specs its "training" load at that velocity, FWIW. Have run these out of my DE, G20 and S&W 1006. They shoot fine.

Also have stocked about 1500 of Hornady's 200gn FMJ-FP bullet, which so far I've loaded up to 1180fps. But I'd like to try and push this sluglet into the 1200fps range using AA#9, if possible.

Just to play around, I've also tried some of Redline's <span style="font-weight: bold">220gn HC lead boolits</span>. I've loaded these to max velocity for sh*ts-n-giggles using AA#7 (a McNett recommended load, btw). Just want to hear the "splatt" and see the steel move back as these heavy weights hit home. They're a hoot to shoot (and relatively cheap too) from my Glock 29's custom-fitted Bar-Sto barrel. Plenty of chamber support, no leading issues and quite accurate.

Hope this helps.

cool.gif

135gr Sierra JHP 10.6 gr Power Pistol 1,530fps Fed 150 primer
Suggested starting load: 9.5 gr

Finally got a Sat to go shoot. Shot 180gr Zero JHP with both Power Pistol and Blue Dot. Min charges, 9.7 Blue Dot and 8.6 Power Pistol. I did not shoot through a chrony but both shot well for accuracy, not a big difference in recoil but the thing I noticed most was the Blue Dot put a lot of smoke out the barrel. Since I have plenty of both powders I will start to up the charges and see where it leads.
Thanks for all of the input.