• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 10X or 16X for 200 yds

startrek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
lexington,nc
I am going to buy a 10 or 16X SWFA for a 308 tactical rifle, I want to be able to extract all possible accuracy from the rifle, is 16X too much. The gun is capable of 1/2 moa at 100 yds.

Re: 10X or 16X for 200 yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to buy a 10 or 16X SWFA for a 308 tactical rifle, I want to be able to extract all possible accuracy from the rifle, is 16X too much. The gun is capable of 1/2 moa at 100 yds. </div></div>

To answer your question: No, 16x is not too much for, and I am assuming,target shooting at 200 yards. I often shoot paper at 14-16x from 100 yards.

More magnification enhances shot placement. But......

You are talking a variable scope, right? You need lower magnification for closer in tactical targets and movers.

When I zero my rifle, I use 42x. It gets me established where I want to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You are talking a variable scope, right? </div></div>

No, he was just referring to the fixed 10x or 16x

I think 10x would be fine, I always find myself shooting in the 10-15 power range, even at 600+ yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More magnification enhances shot placement. But......

<span style="font-weight: bold">You are talking a variable scope, right?</span> You need lower magnification for closer in tactical targets and movers.

When I zero my rifle, I use 42x. It gets me established where I want to be. </div></div>

I think he's talking fixed. IMO, 16X fixed is too much. Some days you just need to go lower. 10X on any good day is good to one mile.

You need to remember with tactical shooting, you are shooting center mass, not the second button down....

if you strictly gonna stick to 200 or less 10x all the way. but come on now? you know you'll wanna go further so go with the 16x

+1 on the 10x. I have a fixed 10x on my .308 and I've been very pleased with the results.

If you're going to be shooting steel then the 10x so you can find the targets easier during comps, but if just paper shooting and shooting groups then I'd lean towards the 16x.

When I shoot steel I hardly ever go past 10x but when I shoot 1" dots at 100 yards I like 24x.. Just my $.02